Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Which are the most extraordinary Hotels in the Intercontinental chain? [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 26, 2015, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: quitecontrary
Please enter exceptional hotels here.
So far -
Hong Kong
Marseille
Bali
Saigon
Le Grand Paris
Singapore
Sydney (for the view)
Print Wikipost

Which are the most extraordinary Hotels in the Intercontinental chain? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2010, 7:07 am

Programs: IC Plat RA, UA 1K
Funny, I was just about to start a thread with this very question in mind when I stumbled up this one.

In my limited, but recent, experience the IC Hong Kong is the best location I have been to. I have stayed there 8 times in the past 2 years. My number two slot would go to the IC Berchtesgaden, Germany property.

In looking through the thoughts for USA locations it would appear the IC's in Chicago and Atlanta are the two favorites... have not been to either. And Germany seems to take top honors in Europe with the Berchtesgaden and Cologne locations.

Thanks for the heads up/warning on the IC Le Grande in Paris... I am booked there in March.

Last edited by jjread; Jan 20, 2010 at 7:38 am
Old Jan 20, 2010, 1:17 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm going to add the Willard IC - Washington D.C. as my favorite US IC Property. Some of the best staff I've ever seen at a US hotel work there.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP /United Silver/Marriot Plat / HH Gold / SPG Gold
Nothing like revisiting an old thread -

I'm fairly rookie when it comes to IC's -

I've stayed at:

IC Moorea
IC Tahiti
IC Los Angeles
IC Bali
IC San Jose (Costa Rica)

Between these - I'd pick Bali hands down. Stayed in a Club Duplex over the Xmas holiday this last year, and loved it.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 8:15 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, QF Lifetime silver (ex plat :(), Accor Gold, IHG Ambassador, PC Platinum, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by SimpleManToo
Starting to plan for some international travel in 2010 and would like to get some input from the FT community on favorite IC hotels between the following locations: Bali, Fiji, Moorea, Bora Bora, Australia, Czech Republic, and Hungary.

What makes them a favorite IC hotel of yours?
Sydney's my local so often ends up the choice for free nights.

I think its nice but not amazing - great lounge if you get access, probably pretty good hotel for tourists to Sydney anyway. only one upgrade for plat
ambs does limit it a bit - just get a slightly better view than you booked.

Wasnt keen on melbourne Rialto - I really need fresh air and the windows overlooked an indoors laneway. Melbourne is a great city with loads of fantastic hotels so i would break away from IHG there..

Fiji was great, nice upgrades (and was on pointbreaks)

moorea lovely though starting to feel a little dated (3 years ago) still charming

Bora bora thalasso hands down winner, impossible to compete though super expensive

trying Bali in a couple of months hopefully
Old Jan 22, 2010, 9:44 am

I have only stayed at 3 IC

IC San Francisco
IC Amstel
IC Le Grand

I would say the IC Amstel was the best, but I wasn't really blown away. Just another hotel to me.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, NZ*E, PC Platinum RA
Originally Posted by jjread
In my limited, but recent, experience the IC Hong Kong is the best location I have been to. I have stayed there 8 times in the past 2 years. My number two slot would go to the IC Berchtesgaden, Germany property.
I agree with the IC Hong Kong. I've only stayed there once, and on points. I still received an upgrade to a Contemporary Dlx Harbour View room and full RA benefits! The guest services manager met me at the front desk, introduced me to all the hotel amenities and took me up to the room - I forget his name, but he was extremely polite and helpful. I received great service from the pool boy at the jacuzzi (err, that could be misconstrued...) and he knew who I was before I got there. ^

I'll definitely be staying there again, so I guess their ploy to provide full benefits on a reward stay worked on me!

IC ANA Tokyo beats HKG to the top of my list though. Three out of four stays I've received an upgrade from cheapest room to a Junior Suite, club access each stay, service is always impeccable - even after sending soaked shoes for shoe shine post Summer Sonic - and it's my favourite club lounge to date. The Manhattan lounge combo of Macallan 30yo, Romeo y Julieta, and grand piano is impossible to beat.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 7:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, ICG Platinum Royal Ambassador, Avis President's Club
Which are the Most Extraordinary Hotels in the Intercontinental Chain?

In my stays at different Intercontinental hotels I have found some of their hotels extraordinary with tall ceilinged classical rooms, and suites with stunning views. In my limited exposure I would put in this category the Willard Hotel in DC and the Clement in Monterey.

Then there are others while nice --I would subjectively put in a totally different tier.

I am extremely interested in what hotels in the Intercontinental chain other members feel combine extraordinary architecture, history, beauty and/or views well worth the trip?

My experience is there are some hotels while extremely well appointed with excellent service you could basically be in any warm climate or any city and not know the difference. I really have come to appreciate those hotels where you know you are in Washington DC, Monterey, etc from the view from your hotel room.

it is a very subjective matter and I appreciate the perspectives of all FT members each from their own unique experience. They can be urban or resort hotels; historic or brand new. I hope we can use this thread to cull out the very most distinctive hotels in their portfolio around the world that are well worth a special personal trip.

This is an update on this thread to summarize the input from members. I have restricted it to a top 15 list and will continue to update this list as additional members input comes in. I would in particular appreciate commentary on whether the hotels on this list really deserve to be on this list and in what order.

1) Hong Kong IC

2) Sydney IC

3) Bora Bora - Le Moana or Resort & Thalasso Spa?

4) Washington DC - The Willard

5) Bali Resort

6) Monterey - The Clement

7) Jiuzhai Paradise

8) Berchtesgaden Resort

9) Chicago IC

10) Amsterdam - Amstel

11) Shanghai Puxi

12) San Francisco - Mark Hopkins

13) Mumbai- Marine Drive

14)Cannes - Carlton

15) Paris - Le Grande

Last edited by point bonita lighthouse; Jan 19, 2011 at 12:52 am Reason: Update Summarizing Member Input
Old Jan 9, 2011, 10:35 pm

Programs: IC - RA, AC - SE 1MM
Bora Bora

enough said
Old Jan 10, 2011, 1:49 am

Programs: PC
While it is otherwise a regular business IC, the view from the IC Budapest is fantastic!
Old Jan 10, 2011, 2:00 am

Programs: PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, GHA Black, A-Club Platinum, Hilton Silver, SPG Gold, Rica Gold, EBB
Originally Posted by lecter
While it is otherwise a regular business IC, the view from the IC Budapest is fantastic!
But the hotel it self and the service is so so. It´s ok in my opinion but nothing special.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 2:02 am

Programs: PC
As mentioned above, I see it as a regular business IC...although I found the service to be very good in the club lounge.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 2:09 am

Hong Kong and Berchtesgaden would be my choices.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 2:18 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MarioRossi
Hong Kong and Berchtesgaden would be my choices.
Berchtesgaden is a beautiful hotel in a beautiful part of the world. Service is top notch along with the facilities.

The superheated outdoor pool with views up to the snow-capped mountain peaks is pretty hard to top.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
LeGrand is clearly up there, especially if you sneak into the ballroom for a peak (a listed French national monument, no less)
Old Jan 10, 2011, 9:03 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Chicago IC has a beautiful historic building and some wonderful art deco design and decoration - especially the amazing indoor swimming pool.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.