Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5 Nights in London

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2012, 4:33 pm

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
I just stayed at the City for 3 nights all on points and was treated very well. I needed a double/double room and it was renovated well and it was comfortable. Just request a room that doesn't face the office building. Very friendly staff and great concierge.

I was also given Club (for plat/RA) and it was a nice bonus.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 9:00 am
bxs
Original Poster

5 Nights in London

Thanks again everyone who chimed in. CP city it is for us. Since the blackfriars tube station is open we can jump in the tube when necessary but can also see us taking a slow walk along the embankment back to the hotel. Have also been looking at tripadvisor and it seems like room facing the street is the way to go?

Also will report back after the stay and hopefully it will be as positive as patchan8984 had with a few freebies thrown in.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:10 am

Anyone has a review for Holiday Inn Express London - Wandsworth? We're driving in London with kids in August (I know, not a good idea with the Olympics traffic). I am debating between this hotel and the Mayfair mentioned.

We're using points with Plat level for 12 people (3 rooms).

Would appreciate any other suggestions.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:33 pm

Programs: ihg plat, hh gold, hertz 5*
It's a standard Holiday Inn Express in a busy, not very attractive location, some distance from the city, although not too far from the underground.

If you didn't want to be in the area, I don't really understand why you would consider it on a points stay (other than the cost of parking, but there must be better options for 25,000 points).
Old Jun 22, 2012, 5:07 pm

We want to explore the sights but don't think it's wise to drive around (during the Olympics). What would be your suggestion for other options?

If we stay on the outskirt of town, is there parking once we drive into the main city?
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Are you out of your mind? There is NO, repeat NO, reason to drive in Central London even at normal times. The cost of parking will be $100 or so a day for a start. Add in the Olympic restrictions with huge numbers of roads closed (some of which are already closed now and will be for 3 months) and you have a recipe for chaos.

Whatever your reason is for wanting a car, it is wrong.

And HI Mayfair is about 100 times better (taking location etc into account) than HIX Wandsworth, which is next to a dump (yes, literally opposite the local dump) and a DIY superstore. And I don't even like the HI Mayfair much!

Should you want to do the odd day of driving outside London, book a hire car for the car from a location on the edge of town, for eg Hertz at Victoria Station if you are heading West towards Bath, Heathrow, Stonehenge etc. This saves you from driving through the centre, which will be almost impossible during the games anyway. Alternatively, do all your days-out in one block and simply leave London entirely for 3-4 days, staying on the outskirts.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 7:12 am
cvr

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum & Priority Club Platinum
+1, fully agree.

Mayfair is bang in the heart of London (5 mins walking from Picadilly Circus) while Wandsworth is in the outskirts. Driving in London is a no-go (compare it to NY) especially around the Olympics it will be a nightmare. You also need a special permit (congestion zone charge) plus parking is crazy expensive.

This is a no-brainer for me.

As Raffles says don't rent a car for your days in the London area, only for the days outside London. Public transport in London is excellent but be ready for packed trains and busses during the Olympics.

Last edited by cvr; Jun 23, 2012 at 7:19 am
Old Jun 27, 2012, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by big_mac
It's a standard Holiday Inn Express in a busy, not very attractive location, some distance from the city, although not too far from the underground...
It is nowhere near the underground. I would endorse Raffles's views on this location wholeheartedly. Do not drive - use public transport or take a cab.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 4:06 am

Programs: ihg plat, hh gold, hertz 5*
Sorry, I meant it's not far from the rail station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.