Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Warning: pointbreaks no-show, credit card charged!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Warning: pointbreaks no-show, credit card charged!

I'm still trying to get this sorted out with Priority Club (I had no co-operation from the hotel), but I just wanted to get the warning out already.

I had a pointbreaks reservation in the HIX Frankfurt Messe a few weeks ago, for 4 nights. I realised that I couldn't make it to Frankfurt when the cancellation deadline had already passed, so I accepted that I would lose the 4x 5.000 points.

I now see in my account that the 20.000 points have been returned, and that the hotel has charged me about 450€. They claim that this is perfectly normal for no-shows on points.
My reservation says: "A deposit for the entire stay is due at time of booking.Canceling your reservation or failing to arrive will result in forfeiture of your deposit. Taxes may apply. Failing to call or show before check-out time after the first night of a reservation will result in cancellation of the remainder of your reservation." But since nowhere in the reservation any amount in EUR is mentioned, I assume that the "deposit" refers to the points (which is the "currency" of payment for this reservation).

Any thoughts on this?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
It is well known and in the the Priority club points T&C

"Priority Club members who do not cancel their Reward Night reservation by the cancellation deadline and do not use their reservation (no-show) are still subject to a no-show charge for the first night of the reservation, plus tax, per room, billed to the credit card used to guarantee the reservation upon booking. The points redeemed for the no-showed Reward Night reservation will be re-deposited into the member's Priority Club account".

You did not show they charged; case closed! they owe you nothing you owe the hotel an apology for not knowing the rules you agreed to be bound by and then complaining when the hotel played by the rules

Perhaps the warning should be TO YOU read the T&C's and you won't get surprises
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by darben
You did not show they charged; case closed! they owe you nothing you owe the hotel an apology for not knowing the rules you agreed to be bound by and then complaining when the hotel played by the rules
I must say I concur.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: American Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Gold
Have to agree with other users - it's in the T&Cs loud and clear.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

"Priority Club members who do not cancel their Reward Night reservation by the cancellation deadline and do not use their reservation (no-show) are still subject to a no-show charge for the first night of the reservation, plus tax, per room, billed to the credit card used to guarantee the reservation upon booking. The points redeemed for the no-showed Reward Night reservation will be re-deposited into the member's Priority Club account".
OK, I accept that. But how can I then know what amount I will be charged? My reservation shows no amount (or deposit) whatsoever, except for the points.

An on the other hand: this means that with reward nights I end up paying more than what I agreed upon during reservation, if I don't make it to the hotel? (Which paid reservations, I agreed to a nightly rate, and I will never pay more than that...)
Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:29 pm

"....do not cancel their Reward Night reservation by the cancellation deadline and do not use their reservation (no-show) are still subject to a no-show charge for the first night of the reservation, plus tax, per room, billed to the credit card used to guarantee the reservation upon booking...."

They should have charged only for the first night!
We stayed at this hotel some days .... very friendly staff .... send darben's post to them.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:39 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by USAFAN
"....do not cancel their Reward Night reservation by the cancellation deadline and do not use their reservation (no-show) are still subject to a no-show charge for the first night of the reservation, plus tax, per room, billed to the credit card used to guarantee the reservation upon booking...."

They should have charged only for the first night!
We stayed at this hotel some days .... very friendly staff .... send darben's post to them.
I have understood that they will charge rack rate, which may well be more than 400 Euro for one night.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:55 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Personally I believe that it would be very difficult for the hotel to uphold their T&C in court:

- they don't specify the amount to be paid
- during the reservation they only display a message about the deposit being forfeited

But you'll have no chance to get back your money unless you sue. You might have a chance to get part of your money because I doubt that the HIX Frankfurt Messe will be at 400€ even for rack rate. It sounds like they have charged for four nights.

HTB.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
Why you dont make the reservation with a Pre Pay creditcard with no amount on it. So they never can charge something. I do it always like this.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The T&C are very clear and yes, the rate charged is the rack rate. With the clear notice given OP in the T&C, a quick call to the hotel would have informed him of the rack rate and thus the charge which would be put through.

Not sure why OP sent up this flare for something that is long-standing, well-known and strictkly enforced. He's out the 450. Plain and simple.

Last edited by Often1; Jun 2, 2012 at 8:21 am
Old Jun 1, 2012, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Koby
I'm still trying to get this sorted out with Priority Club (I had no co-operation from the hotel), but I just wanted to get the warning out already.

I had a pointbreaks reservation in the HIX Frankfurt Messe a few weeks ago, for 4 nights. I realised that I couldn't make it to Frankfurt when the cancellation deadline had already passed, so I accepted that I would lose the 4x 5.000 points.
I went through a similar drama, though with a regular redemption stay rather than PB.

I knew the rules, but forgot to cancel in time. I contacted the hotel immediately I realised the mix up and they agreed not to charge me. Smart move on their part - I now wouldn't dream of staying at another hotel in town.

I guess the point is you need to eat a little humble pie, rather than go in all guns blazing, if you want the hotel to play ball.

It seems a grotesquely punitive regulation, and although someone explained the (hotel-side) logic, i never quite captured it.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 3:15 pm

Programs: IC Spire Amb, Hilton, Marriott, BA, VA.
I have to say I agree with all the replies here; this really is down to you unfortunately.

I would suggest that you definitely approach the hotel in a different way now - maybe something like "I'm so sorry for being so angry before, but now I realise that it's entirely my fault! I didn't read or understand the terms and conditions! Do you think you could help me out here and maybe give me a credit towards a future stay/refund/etc etc?"

Good luck with it - I certainly hope that that you get some kind of resolution that works for you one way or another. Please do come back and let us know how it goes.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG

Perhaps the warning should be TO YOU read the T&C's and you won't get surprises
While it is in the T&C, those same T&C should really be quoted at reservation time instead of the (purposefully?) vague statement that is there for points reservations.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 4:26 pm

Programs: ihg plat, hh gold, hertz 5*
Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler
While it is in the T&C, those same T&C should really be quoted at reservation time instead of the (purposefully?) vague statement that is there for points reservations.
As they don't give any indication of how much the charge would be,
I would guess that it very likely falls foul of EU consumer protection legislation.

In the UK, the office of fair trading have, previously, insisted that any possible fees are specified in advance.

'requiring any consumer who fails to fulfil his obligation to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation' is listed as an unfair term in the unfair terms in consumer contracts regulations. There are probably others that apply also.

These regulations are the result of an EU directive, so something similar should apply in Germany.

However, getting something done about it isn't likely to be easy.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 5:06 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by northernstar84
Why you dont make the reservation with a Pre Pay creditcard with no amount on it. So they never can charge something. I do it always like this.
Wow this seems to be an awesome tip that can be useful in many situations. I learn something new on FT everyday! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.