Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Holiday Inn Berlin Alexanderplatz (Master Thread) leaving January 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Holiday Inn Berlin Alexanderplatz (Master Thread) leaving January 2022

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2018, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by kdoughboy
What are the thoughts on this hotel's location? My understanding is that it's very well located for public transport, but that the hotel's immediate vicinity is pretty boring and that I'm going to need to the public transport to get to somewhere more exciting. We're the types who like to have lots of restaurant and bar options right around the hotel.
it depends what you understand as a good location and what you consider as exciting. You are in Alexanderplatz within three minutes walking distance and from there there is plenty of activity within a few more minutes walking. For LA standards it is in the very heart of downtown (and indeed very well linked to public transport, too)
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1flyer
You have good hotel options around Alexanderplatz as well as around Potzdamer Platz, but those areas are somewhat boring. (They were over-developed after reunification and didn't grow "naturally".).
You are kidding, aren't you? The hotel is in 10 minutes walking distance to Hacke'scher Markt and Oranienburger Straße and (if you can't resist) 14 minutes way by U2 to Kurfürstendamm. Friedrichshain is two stops on the U5 or 30 minutes walk. There ain't one single centre in Berlin, but Berlin is a conglomerate of several centres all with their specific charme. The Kurfürstendamm area - as long as you stick to the Boulevard - is a touristy place. The same is true for Potsdamer Platz. I lived in Berlin for long an the normal thing is you take a bus or a subway for 10 to 20 minutes and you are more or less everywhere. I would not consider it as a perfect hotel (unless you expect a typical Holiday Inn) but the location is pretty good and pretty central.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, reading comprehension fail on your part.

His statement:

Flying Lawyer, it would be ridiculous to challenge the claim that the hotel's immediate vincity is pretty boring, particularly in regard to the bars and restaurants kdoughboy is primarily interested in. In the immediate vincity, there are ...... options like Hofbräu Berlin, Burger King, the thing in the 5th floor of Kaufhof, the red-neck Carambar etc. There neither are Berlin classics like Einstein, Paris bar, or good "Eckkneipen", nor any of the more trendy options (like places in the Bergmankiez or whereever).
It is 10 minutes from Hackescher Markt. If you consider the immediate vincity as pretty boring than London's Oxford Street, Paris' Place Vendome and New York's 5th Avenue @ 55th is pretty boring. The one difference between the three said locations is that the Alexanderplatz location offers public transport in all directions. And to be honest "Einstein" is certainly not a Berlin classic. Berlin is a trendy place but there is not "one Berlin". There are tons of Kiezes and areas to go to and if you stay in one you miss all the others. For me as a Berliner this a great location (albeit not a great hotel). You foreigners might know better, sure.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By S-Bahn, not by foot. (It's a 1.2 km walk from the HI according to Google Maps.)
1.2 km walking takes me 10, probably 11 minutes. But I believe it all depends what you are looking for. I lived in Friedrichshain, Charlottenburg and Dahlem and each district had its own charm. I still like to spend an evening on the banks of the Spree and Oranienburger and I like to stay an evening in SO36 or Boxhagener Platz. What a foreigner needs to comprehend is that there ain't any "one Berlin". There are several cities or even villages put into one big stew called Berlin.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
it depends what you understand as a good location and what you consider as exciting. You are in Alexanderplatz within three minutes walking distance and from there there is plenty of activity within a few more minutes walking. For LA standards it is in the very heart of downtown (and indeed very well linked to public transport, too)
I personally find Alexanderplatz to be a major tourist trap. But you cannot beat its location. It is the biggest public transportation hub in Berlin: S-Bahn, RB, 3 U-Bahn lines, several tram lines, as well as bus lines. And it will be more convenient when the westward U5 extension is completed. I find staying there to be very easy for me to get to different parts of Berlin, even though I don't do much in that immediate vicinity (except for doing some shopping at Alexa).
Old Oct 24, 2021, 7:28 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

This hotel will leave IHG and become a Premier Inn

(reference: https://www.premierinn.com/de/de/pre...utschland.html (German))
Old Oct 25, 2021, 1:18 pm

Programs: QF Plat, IHG RA, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FLYGVA
This hotel will leave IHG and become a Premier Inn

(reference: https://www.premierinn.com/de/de/pre...utschland.html (German))
A shame, I love the Indigo. Great location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.