Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2012, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz Presidents, UA Plat, IHG Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold
Platinum qualification

2012 Year-to-date Summary

Points Earned:49,374
Qualifying Nights:16
Only 50 more qualifying nights or 10,626 more points to earn Platinum Elite.
This is my first year in IHG hotels. I should hit platinum on points this week. Seems like the points/nights balance is really out of whack.
Old May 2, 2012, 5:57 pm

Programs: IHG
You're right, it's crazy.

No one qualifies for Platinum by staying 50 nights and members who actually reach 50 nights receive no additional benefits.

However, if your personal stats show 16 qualifying stays it should state 34 more nights needed, not 50 as per your OP .
Old May 2, 2012, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by midnight
You're right, it's crazy.

No one qualifies for Platinum by staying 50 nights and members who actually reach 50 nights receive no additional benefits.

However, if your personal stats show 16 qualifying stays it should state 34 more nights needed, not 50 as per your OP .
That's a good point. It's been showing 50 for a while. I guess their site is broken.
Old May 2, 2012, 7:52 pm

Just get the Chase card. It is autoPlatinum as long as your have your card.
Old May 2, 2012, 9:16 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
I'll beat that. And I'm sure others can beat me.

Points Earned: 42,533
Qualifying Nights: 0
Only 50 more qualifying nights or 17,467 more points to maintain Platinum Ambassador for next year.
Old May 2, 2012, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
It is absolutely ridiculous. I requalified for Platinum Ambassador in the last week of January after a couple 5000 bonus points stays and the 2011 Q4 promo points posting.
Old May 2, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Half of my points this year have come from Chase credit card points. The other half came from the 10% rebate on point redemptions.
Old May 2, 2012, 9:59 pm

Programs: IHG Plat; CC Gold
Originally Posted by TimF1975
This is my first year in IHG hotels. I should hit platinum on points this week. Seems like the points/nights balance is really out of whack.
it is not quite so silly after your first year, as you will have used many of the bonus point that can only be used once. However, it can still be done quiet easily even without a chase card

This year the points from the last quarter helped (pernally I got 24k) and the previous year ther were crack the case points, which gave people a head start.
Old May 4, 2012, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

I have several reservations in the system now. Once I make platinum, do I need to call to make sure my new status is reflected on my reservation?
Old May 4, 2012, 9:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I wouldnt say that. In 2010, I requalified on nights since my 1st stay of the year was 60 nights at an IC. about 30k in points from some promos plus the base points.
Old May 5, 2012, 4:01 am

Yes silly me, I overlooked people who's first annual stay is 60 consecutive IC nights.

You're always on the ball Dave, I'm surprised you failed to negotiate more than 500 points per night for your business.

TimF1975
I have several reservations in the system now. Once I make platinum, do I need to call to make sure my new status is reflected on my reservation?

Tim, at some time during the 24 hours before check-in the hotel will prepare your reservation. During this time they should check the system and note the change in your status.

I suggest saying nothing and wait to be greeted as a Platinum member, if they fail to do so you could politely enquire if they provide any benefits for Platinum members. From their reaction you'll discover if they are aware of your recent PC upgrade.
Old May 5, 2012, 4:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes silly me, I overlooked people who's first annual stay is 60 consecutive IC nights.

You're always on the ball Dave, I'm surprised you failed to negotiate more than 500 points per night for your business.
My entire stay was about 4.5 months with a couple of breaks; they gave me a very nice suite , occasionally they would give me some extras, such as access to all of their NYE events and occasionally buying me dinner and some other things

Was more than happy with what they were giving me, even if not that many points ; was the 1st time I requalified on nights
Old May 5, 2012, 4:58 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Originally Posted by TimF1975
I have had different experience than midnight. The system usually pulls out the status at the time of your reservation.

Edited to add: I found the post, where PriorityClubRewards confirmed this: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16904080-post4.html
Old May 5, 2012, 5:46 am

Yes absolutely right, the system will show Tim's Gold status at time of booking and if you're upgraded to Plat before arrival the hotel should pick it up.

A few years ago I made an IC reservation as an Ambassador and requalified for RA one week before arrival. The hotel insisted I was not a RA and asked me to log into my account to prove it.
Old May 5, 2012, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer
Just get the Chase card. It is autoPlatinum as long as your have your card.
+1, I have never stressed about requalifying for plat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.