Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Holiday Inn Hamburg - HafenCity - Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2019, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Holiday Inn Hamburg - HafenCity - Master Thread

The Holiday Inn Hamburg - HafenCity was on the 2019 June-August PointBreaks list.

This property appears to be relatively new having opened around 6 months ago. The (few) reviews on TripAdvisor and elsewhere are decent.

Can anyone share their experiences?
Old May 29, 2019, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by mster
The Holiday Inn Hamburg - HafenCity was on the 2019 June-August PointBreaks list.

This property appears to be relatively new having opened around 6 months ago. The (few) reviews on TripAdvisor and elsewhere are decent.

Can anyone share their experiences?
We staid there last week. Very new and decent property. Very well connected to public tranport. Rates are normally in the range of 80 EUR. You can't do wrong with this place for points
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:32 am

Any ideas how much it is for a taxi from Hamburg airport to the hotel please?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by whitelightning
Any ideas how much it is for a taxi from Hamburg airport to the hotel please?
In the range of 33 EUR. Depending on the time of the day, public transport is preferable. There is an underground station in front of the hotel
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:50 pm

Thanks Flying Lawyer.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 6:30 am
Suspended

I had multiple stays at this property this summer and fall.

On the plus side,

- rooms and public areas are quite new, mattresses are firm and comfortable, bathrooms all shiny etc.;
- rooms are relatively quiet;
- the location isn't bad (a few nice restaurants and shops in the area; good public transport access).

However, elite treatment did not meet my expectations.

Some excerpts from their generic welcome letter (they probably give the same one to Spires, Plats, and Golds).

Dear Mr. Eight Miles High,

we would like to welcome you as an IHG Rewards Club member at the Holiday Inn Hamburg - HafenCity and we would like to thank you for your loyalty.

Due to your membership as a SPIRE-Member, you are entitled to the following amenities:

- Collect points or miles
- late check-out based on availability
- dedicated customer service phone assistance for Spire members only
- complimentary internet access
- no blackout dates for Reward Nights
- Elite Member Points do not expire
- welcomepresent upon check-in (complimentary beverage & snack or Points)

(The typos are theirs.)

I realize it is an HI so one must manage one's expectations regarding status recognition.

Nevertheless, my success rate w.r.t. room upgrades is 0/3. At least once, the hotel seemed quite empty, suites were available on the IHG website, and they still didn't give me a room upgrade for a one-night stay.

They always gave me a room on the top floor, far away from the elevator (as requested per my preferences). The rooms are a bit quirky for my taste.

The welcome present is just the mandatory welcome points or drink. Nothing in the room. I know it's just an HI, but many German HI's give you at least a bottle of water or two, some fruit, or chocolate. Not so at the HI HafenCity.

I always took the drink at the bar. I recall that at least once, I wasn't offered a snack to accompany the drink.
However, they messed up at least once and granted me the welcome points in addition to the welcome drink.

In conclusion, I would book the hotel again if their rate is competitive or if I need a room for a modest amount of IHG points.

But there's lot of competition in Hamburg, especially from other chains. As for IHG, I think during my next stay in Hamburg, I'll check out the HI Berliner Tor that's due to open in a few weeks.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Club Spire Elite, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Stayed here on points last night, my first time in Hamburg. No upgrade in room type as such but was welcomed as a Spire, chose and received 500 welcome points, room was on top (6th) floor (described to me as their “Club” floor) and away from the lifts as requested though was facing the road junction so a little bit of traffic noise at times. There was also a free bottle of still water in room along with some glasses. Breakfast this morning was plentiful and well organised.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 6:25 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I am there currently. Booked at 21 000 points per night. Granted early checkin (after showing up at 11:30), staff so so, I had a new employee on the phone earlier this morning and she was poor, but the assistant manager checked me in and was great. Room are nice and modern, decoration is nice, modern bathroom, good shower pressure. Bed seems comfortable, mattress quite hard. So far so good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.