Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crowne Plaza Key West - La Concha (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Just completed 1 night stay, using chase free night, during peak spring break ( I was told hotel was sold out, rates +$300). I needed 2 beds.

Hotel is in prime Duvall Street location, easy to walk to all restaurant, bars, etc. Decor is modern upscale and in good shape. I think the best part of this hotel is location, if you want to do a lot of shopping, restaurants, bars. Staff was friendly, Valet was fast ($26 + tax)

But I was very disappointed and would not recommend. Rooms are tiny and ceiling are very low. Very dark. Walls are paper thin, I could hear my neighbors. I was assigned a room on 2nd floor, and I heard a lot of foot traffic (during the day to the pool, in the middle of night people coming out from partying).

My view was of a wall and some AC units, but at lease it was not facing busy streets were you can hear cars, bars, pedestrians. Housekeeping was very loud, yelling between them and had 2 way radios on high volume. They were stressed due to high capacity and a lot of turnover. They woke me up at 830am, then came back at noon to ask me at what time I was leaving, then again at 12:30. I had a 1pm late checkout. Unacceptable. Rooms have fridge, there is no microwave in room; no hotel ice machine, you have to call and ask for Ice.

Pool is tiny, not heated and it is in the shade most of the day. There are some happy hour specials, 4-6pm, but I would just go to any of the bars outside that also have happy hour. Platinum welcome gift of 600 points or 2 drinks. The breakfast restaurant in lobby did not look inviting. There is an attached Starbucks, and there are so many breakfast restaurants to choose from on Duvall that I would skip the hotel. I chose to see sunset on Mallory Square at Jimmy Buffet's so no need to go to roof top bar.

Overall I would not choose a city type hotel in key west and chose any other beach resort. My previous stay was at the Sheraton at Smather's beach and that was 100% times better. Even the Hyatt Place in Marathon Key that I stayed the night before was way better.

I really felt I wasted my certificate here, and most importantly wasted my time with a very poor stay and could have stayed at a handful of hotels in the area that could have been better.

Last edited by ORD-TGU; Apr 2, 2018 at 11:30 am
Old Apr 2, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
As a platinum you had to pay for parking? When I stayed there last November the parking fee was not charged. Maybe because in late November not a lot of tourists were in town, but I didn't experience a noise problem either. My 3rd floor room was at the end of the hallway, faced the side street, and was generally quiet. The main problem when I stayed was that the wifi was out of service for three days.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
Just completed 1 night stay, using chase free night, during peak spring break ( I was told hotel was sold out, rates +$300). I needed 2 beds.

Hotel is in prime Duvall Street location, easy to walk to all restaurant, bars, etc. Decor is modern upscale and in good shape. I think the best part of this hotel is location, if you want to do a lot of shopping, restaurants, bars. Staff was friendly, Valet was fast ($26 + tax)

But I was very disappointed and would not recommend. Rooms are tiny and ceiling are very low. Very dark. Walls are paper thin, I could hear my neighbors. I was assigned a room on 2nd floor, and I heard a lot of foot traffic (during the day to the pool, in the middle of night people coming out from partying).

My view was of a wall and some AC units, but at lease it was not facing busy streets were you can hear cars, bars, pedestrians. Housekeeping was very loud, yelling between them and had 2 way radios on high volume. They were stressed due to high capacity and a lot of turnover. They woke me up at 830am, then came back at noon to ask me at what time I was leaving, then again at 12:30. I had a 1pm late checkout. Unacceptable. Rooms have fridge, there is no microwave in room; no hotel ice machine, you have to call and ask for Ice.

Pool is tiny, not heated and it is in the shade most of the day. There are some happy hour specials, 4-6pm, but I would just go to any of the bars outside that also have happy hour. Platinum welcome gift of 600 points or 2 drinks. The breakfast restaurant in lobby did not look inviting. There is an attached Starbucks, and there are so many breakfast restaurants to choose from on Duvall that I would skip the hotel. I chose to see sunset on Mallory Square at Jimmy Buffet's so no need to go to roof top bar.

Overall I would not choose a city type hotel in key west and chose any other beach resort. My previous stay was at the Sheraton at Smather's beach and that was 100% times better. Even the Hyatt Place in Marathon Key that I stayed the night before was way better.

I really felt I wasted my certificate here, and most importantly wasted my time with a very poor stay and could have stayed at a handful of hotels in the area that could have been better.
Really - wasted your certificate, that came free, when you paid the $49 credit card AF?

Hotels in Key West are overpriced, most are old, tired. Primary reason to stay at the La Concha is its location, which is tough to beat.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, HHonors Gold
Wasn't particularly impressed with my stay here in February 2019, either.

The new lobby was perfectly lush and the bar staff really nice. The location was excellent. I liked the overall decor of the room. The resort fee + the Gold welcome amenity yielded a total of 4 drinks vouchers which we exchanged for some decent prosecco. That's about it for the good sides.

The room was small and walls almost sound conductive. The coffee machine on the nightstand was unplugged from the wall, and the nightstand is immovable, so I couldn't reach back there to plug it back in - had to place the coffee machine on the floor across the room to plug it in - only to be disappointed by really gnarly coffee in the end.

Neither the balcony doors nor the furniture doors seemed to close properly. I'm sure they've expanded in the humidity, but not fixing it left a very rinky-dink overall impression. There was an unspecified sticky substance on the balcony floor, which I obviously stepped into barefoot, and then hobbled over to the shower with the inconsistent temperature to wash it off.

The reception desk is shaped like a quarter-circle with pillars in the middle, so as we were queueing to check out, another receptionist behind the pillar called forward the people behind us, who obviously scampered right over.

Left a review on IHG.com with all these complaints, and the manager of the hotel copypasted the same pre-composed non-personalised apology he visibly pastes to anyone leaving a 1 or 2 star review, regardless of content.

I've had better experiences at some Holiday Inn Expresses for one-sixth the price. And to be honest, at a $150-to-$200-a-night mark this would've been a good experience, with the few faults quite acceptable. At the $473.68 + $40.00 resort fee + tax we paid, this was perfectly ridiculous.

Not going back.
not2017 likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 8:58 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Any updates about this hotel? We are looking at a points stay as a Platinum in the upcoming weeks.
Thanks!
Old Oct 9, 2022, 7:20 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Warning: This property will be part of Marriott as of December 2022 even though IHG continues to sell rooms/offer awards reservations. Don’t be surprised with another no notice cancelation of award reservations by IHG later in the year.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2022/10/09/...december-2022/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.