Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London - Indigo Paddington, CP City, Indigo Tower

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
London - Indigo Paddington, CP City, Indigo Tower

I have been trying to make a decision on what to do for a short trip on points in November.... Have read all around about all the Indigo, HI and CP properties... Do not want to drop the extra cash for IC (shy of points after a lot of NYC nights).

Have narrowed it to three:

Indigo Paddington - easy access from/to LHR, looks nice, but small rooms

CP City - good value, nice hotel, but tube station closed and it will be over the weekend so area is not active. from/to LHR not as easy.

Indigo Tower Hill - looks nice, king does not show as offered (double) (is that all they have?), location not as good for from/to LHR, better tube access.

Comments?

FWFDAN
Old Aug 12, 2011, 4:10 pm

Programs: Oneworld, Avios and IHG Spire Ambassador
No brainer, Holiday Inn Mayfair
Old Aug 13, 2011, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
CP City is fine if you intend to visit any of St Pauls, Tower of London, Tate Modern, Globe Theatre. And even with Blackfriars shut, St Pauls tube is 5 minutes walk.

HI Mayfair has the location and huge rooms, but is badly worn and dated. The 3 hotels listed are all new, if that is important.

Indigo Paddington standard rooms are very small, not recommended for 2 people or 1 person for more than 1 night.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 2:06 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
I stayed at the Indigo Tower hill earlier this year on a Sweet Dilema free night.

Pro
As a Plat I was upgraded to a superior room ^
Decent sized modern room with double bed.
Very close to the Tower and Tower bridge (obvious really!)
Did a "Ripper Tour" in the evening which was interesting-November would be chilly\wet
Parking is £2 all day Saturday, free on Sunday right outside the hotel door. (and there were spaces)
Garage nearby is £2.00 for 24 hrs after Sat 13:00 (IIRC)

Con
Staff seemed a bit of a dizz and disorganised (hotel not that full either!)
Not exactly central London so fairly quiet area in the evening

Overall
Pleasant weekend stay, suited my purpose.

Mayfair is a good location but dated large rooms
Old Aug 13, 2011, 8:23 am

Programs: ihg plat, hh gold, hertz 5*
You can often get executive rooms at Indigo Paddington on points. They are still not large, but acceptable, I think.
There is free wifi, and plats usually get free movies and fast wired internet too.

The location of CP City depends on what you want to do, you can walk/bus easily enough to Covent Garden etc.

For Tower Hill, check the tube closures -you may only have the district line to Tower Hill running, which isn't particularly convenient for getting around.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The Indigo is unlikely to be more than 10 minutes walk fron Liverpool St so you will always have some backup even if the District Line is partially closed for work on any weekend you are there.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Thanks for the feedback - the more I think of it the more I think Mayfair might be the best bet (and that was scratched off earlier due to feedback I read here on the board).

First trip back to london in almost 10 years.... I cannot wait!
Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by big_mac
You can often get executive rooms at Indigo Paddington on points. They are still not large, but acceptable, I think.
There is free wifi, and plats usually get free movies and fast wired internet too.
I was there last weekend and can confirm the above - Exec room on points / free internet & movies + 25% off voucher for food & drinks.

The exec rooms are fine but the standard rooms do look rather small.

The only thing that the HI - Mayfair has going for it is the location & that the size of the rooms are quite large. Everything else about the hotel is tired & dated.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 7:03 pm

Was faced with similar decision recently - after reading the forums decided Indigo Paddington rooms seemed too small, was intrigued by Crowne Plaza Shoreditch, but opted for Crowne Plaza City. Was very very happy.

Paddington is easier for Heathrow, but Heathrow Express expensive. On our way back to Heathrow, we walked to Temple (10 mins max), then took district line then change hammersmith for piccadilly (easy transfer) - door to door was less than hour and half to T3.

Crowne Plaza City room was reasonable size for London - fitted two double beds with room left over. OK views. Staff attitude positive. We lucked out and were invited to use the Club Lounge - not very large but fortunately not crowded, staff there were really helpful, explaining that they would leave at 10pm but we could stay till midnight if needed. Breakfast was good, a little more than continental, and the coffee amazing (from machine).

I dont know how quiet City will be on weekends - it used to be dead but maybe has changed by now. Certainly walking around the streets are great, architecture and atmosphere much better than Paddington, plenty of coffee shops and pubs hope open on Saturday, and you are close to Tate modern, COvent Garden, and many many buses. Its a good location and the hotel is trying hard, is my sense.

Hope your London stay will be as happy as mine.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 5:20 am

Programs: Oneworld, Avios and IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by sputnik
Was faced with similar decision recently - after reading the forums decided Indigo Paddington rooms seemed too small, was intrigued by Crowne Plaza Shoreditch, but opted for Crowne Plaza City. Was very very happy.

Paddington is easier for Heathrow, but Heathrow Express expensive. On our way back to Heathrow, we walked to Temple (10 mins max), then took district line then change hammersmith for piccadilly (easy transfer) - door to door was less than hour and half to T3.

Crowne Plaza City room was reasonable size for London - fitted two double beds with room left over. OK views. Staff attitude positive. We lucked out and were invited to use the Club Lounge - not very large but fortunately not crowded, staff there were really helpful, explaining that they would leave at 10pm but we could stay till midnight if needed. Breakfast was good, a little more than continental, and the coffee amazing (from machine).

I dont know how quiet City will be on weekends - it used to be dead but maybe has changed by now. Certainly walking around the streets are great, architecture and atmosphere much better than Paddington, plenty of coffee shops and pubs hope open on Saturday, and you are close to Tate modern, COvent Garden, and many many buses. Its a good location and the hotel is trying hard, is my sense.

Hope your London stay will be as happy as mine.
I recently booked my daughter and 2 of her friends into the CP Shoreditch and the Hotel gave me the option to upgrade them to Club Lounge access for £40 per night, which is/was an absolute steal.

I upgraded them, they had a ball, saved an absolute fortune with all the free drink and nibbles and the Hotel never debited the money.

They loved the Hotel too, which was a bonus.

Jubbly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.