Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
FAQs
1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?
2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?
3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?
4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?
5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?
6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?
7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC?

1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?

As of April 2023, there are four different active FNC types. Described below in order from newest to oldest (roughly), they will appear in your account under the following headings:
  • Premier Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC, good for a base room up to 40K points, for the personal Premier card. This FNC is described as “flex” because you can redeem for an award in excess of 40K by adding points on top of the FNC (aka "topping up").
    • Note: points used to top up a Flex FNC are not subject to the 10% rebate for Select cardholders.
  • Business Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC for the IHG Business card. This is identical in all respects to the Premier flex cert.
  • New Cardmember Bonus Free Night: Some recent offers for the personal Premier card have included one or more FNCs in the signup bonus. These FNCs are capped at 40K value; there is no "flex"/"top-up" option.
  • Select Credit Card Anniversary Night: The anniversary FNC for the older Select card, for which Chase stopped accepting applications in 2018. As with the previous category, this FNC type has a hard cap of 40K redemption value.
Depending on how long you have been a Chase IHG cardholder and which cards you've held, your FNC Details page may also display a placeholder section ("0 Anniversary Nights") for two other FNC types that no longer exist:
  • Premier Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to March 24, 2022, the personal Premier card FNC was hard-capped at 40K value. On March 24, all unused FNCs of this type were automatically converted to Premier "flex" FNCs as described above.
  • Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to May 1, 2018, anniversary FNCs for the Select card were uncapped--that is, they could be used at any IHG property.

2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?

After you log into the website, click on the section at the top of the window showing your first name and current point balance. This will take you to the Overview page of the My Account section. Underneath the gray box showing your status level, member number, and points balance you will see a submenu with "Overview" selected. Click on "Rewards Wallet" to go to the page summarizing your FNCs. Click "Details" to see the type(s) of FNC(s) in your account.

You can also go directly to the Details page by logging in and visiting http://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/en...gmt/freenights (for English-speaking US members).

3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?

No.

4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?

You may cancel your reservation online using the same process as for any other reservation. The certificate is normally returned to your account immediately and available for re-use with no wait and no need to call IHG. For unknown reasons, on rare occasions a FNC will not instantly reappear; in such cases, call IHG customer service to have the FNC redeposited manually.

5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?

As of January 2019, members are reporting that they are unable to do this.
Formerly, some members reported success in doing this. (See, for example, the discussion at post #516.) Two basic recommendations:
  • It is advisable to obtain advance written confirmation, ideally from the hotel itself, that your certificate will be honored under these circumstances.
    • At least one FTer reports having successfully booked post-expiration stays without confirming with the property in advance; see posts 719 & 723. YMMV.
  • Once the certificate expiration date passes, you will not be able to make any changes to the reservation (occupancy, date, room type, etc).

6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?

No. FNCs are non-transferable.

7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC each year?

Yes. The Select card (legacy), the personal Premier card, and the Premier Business card all include an anniversary FNC as a benefit. But note the difference, discussed above, between the Select card FNC--capped at 40K value--and the "flex" FNCs associated with the other cards. The no-fee Traveler card does not provide a FNC benefit.

In previous years, Chase issued the anniversary FNC shortly before the annual fee was billed. More recently, Chase has begun delaying issuance of FNCs until at least 8 weeks after the annual-fee statement date, presumably to prevent accountholders from canceling their cards while keeping the FNC.

Questions related to the extension of the certificate due to the Coronavirus are discussed in its own thread, which is here.

Print Wikipost

Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:43 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Exclamation

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I have 2 nights held on points for March 3-5 but I doubt I waste 120K points and still get stuck with ~80 in resort fees

I held the nights on points because in the past I have done this while I waited for our ( my wife has a card also ) IHG free nights to post. The hotel ( Sanibel Florida) showed reward nights but by the time our IHG free nights posted reward nights were sold out. I cancelled our points reservations and was then able to book our free nights.

Hopefully IHG free night rewards show up at some point before our trip
Success! Chase free nights are now available for 2018 season at the Palazzo & Venetian in Las Vegas! Just booked for June.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:44 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Originally Posted by iowa guy
How would the property know that you are booking with an expired 'anniversary free night'? Wouldn't they just see that you have a reservation for the night that you arrive?
The Chase free nights have set 1-year booking windows, you can't book a date after that window, system will not allow it.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Tony300S
The Chase free nights have set 1-year booking windows, you can't book a date after that window, system will not allow it.
Good to know. Thanks for the DP. I was planning to use the certificate to book a stay after the expiration date.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
I was looking at using mine over New Year's in Seoul but it's only comping the Holiday Inn Express. Both Intercontinenal's have "standard rooms" available, yet it's showing the standard room rate. Is there a blackout period with the cert now? I didn't have a problem using it last year for New Year's in Sydney.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
I was looking at using mine over New Year's in Seoul but it's only comping the Holiday Inn Express. Both Intercontinenal's have "standard rooms" available, yet it's showing the standard room rate. Is there a blackout period with the cert now? I didn't have a problem using it last year for New Year's in Sydney.
It uses the reward night inventory. Can you book a night on points? That is the comparison to make.

IHG does not have blackout dates, but it does allow capacity controls.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:55 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
Interestingly I booked the glitch AAA rate as my Chase free night for New Years Eve (it was the only one available) and later had a change of plans and cancelled it. It did not repost automatically. A couple of days later I contacted chat and they claimed it would repost, and I waited a few weeks and saw nothing. After asking again via email it re-posted with an expiration date 375 days later (basically extending the certificate by about 8 months).
Old Dec 23, 2017, 3:08 am

Sorry if there was addressed earlier as I only read the wiki and the last few pages but is there a possibility of using the cert as part of a longer reservation in cases where reward night availability is coupled? I'm trying to use points for one night and the cert for one night at IC San Francisco for April 4-6. I see reward nights for April 4-6 and April 5-6 but not April 4-5 so I've been unable to book the reservation with one night points and one night cert. I booked April 5-6 with the cert and will look later for points availability on April 4-5 but find it disappointing the hotels can have minimum stay requirements for reward nights that seem to render certs totally unusable even in conjunction with other reward nights.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 9:17 pm

Anyone know where to find a listing on your free night certificates? It appears they redesigned the site so now there is no more left-hand navigation bar that says, "Free Night." Thanks
Old Dec 26, 2017, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by MDJennings
Anyone know where to find a listing on your free night certificates? It appears they redesigned the site so now there is no more left-hand navigation bar that says, "Free Night." Thanks
If you have a cert, you'll see "1 Free Night(s)" [sic] under the Redeem button just below your point total. Mine just posted.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:30 pm

Anybody stayed at IHG Fiji using the FN cert recently ? how was it? any resort fee?

Also, can i attach the names of the occupants (family) so that they can check in without me?
Old Dec 29, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
About when will first anniversary certificate generate. Opened account October 24, 2017, but first statement didn’t close until around December 20th. Almost two months. Is opening date or statement closing date the key factor?
thanks,
might be useful info for the wiki
Old Dec 29, 2017, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by beachmiles
About when will first anniversary certificate generate. Opened account October 24, 2017, but first statement didn’t close until around December 20th. Almost two months. Is opening date or statement closing date the key factor?
The former. My cert posted on 12/26; my approval date was ~12/30 last year; and my cycle ends on the 9th of each month. The rule appears to be "a few days before account anniversary." YMMV.
beachmiles likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Just had a wonderful stay at the IC Hong Kong using my dad's certificate, which expired by the time of the stay. I emailed the hotel in advance stating that I would be checking in (and that the other guest was my partner). Didn't specifically say my dad wasn't checking in. Also noted the certificate. Again, didn't highlight the fact that it would be expired by the time of the stay. The agent emailed back and asked if I had my own IHG number. Why, yes, I do and am in fact Spire Ambassador (whereas my dad is just Platinum). Initially he said he would replace the IHG number with mine, but I asked him not to lest there be problems at check in using my dad's certificate. He agreed that was wise. Apparently, he did note my status because at check in I received many (all?) of the Spire Ambassador benefits. Check-in was super smooth and we had a wonderful stay.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 11:26 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
hey folks, had a couple Qs before I jump on this card:

1) does the anniversary night post when you first open the account (like with other hotel cards) or ONLY starting at your first anniversary? say I open a chase IHG today in 2018, would I see a cert there after a few days now or only next year when my 1st anniversary comes up?

2) I see from the last few posts, booking window is strict/limits you to booking on or before expiry. what about extending the expiration date, is chase or IHG cool with that? any leeway at all?

thanks!
Old Jan 28, 2018, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by FTR 787
hey folks, had a couple Qs before I jump on this card:

1) does the anniversary night post when you first open the account (like with other hotel cards) or ONLY starting at your first anniversary? say I open a chase IHG today in 2018, would I see a cert there after a few days now or only next year when my 1st anniversary comes up?

2) I see from the last few posts, booking window is strict/limits you to booking on or before expiry. what about extending the expiration date, is chase or IHG cool with that? any leeway at all?

thanks!
1. Anniversary means anniversary, about 12 months after you get your card. What other card gives you a "free anniversary night" after you first get your card?

2. Answer is in the wiki. Results vary.

It's a valuable benefit. Get the card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.