Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
FAQs
1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?
2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?
3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?
4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?
5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?
6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?
7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC?

1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?

As of April 2023, there are four different active FNC types. Described below in order from newest to oldest (roughly), they will appear in your account under the following headings:
  • Premier Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC, good for a base room up to 40K points, for the personal Premier card. This FNC is described as “flex” because you can redeem for an award in excess of 40K by adding points on top of the FNC (aka "topping up").
    • Note: points used to top up a Flex FNC are not subject to the 10% rebate for Select cardholders.
  • Business Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC for the IHG Business card. This is identical in all respects to the Premier flex cert.
  • New Cardmember Bonus Free Night: Some recent offers for the personal Premier card have included one or more FNCs in the signup bonus. These FNCs are capped at 40K value; there is no "flex"/"top-up" option.
  • Select Credit Card Anniversary Night: The anniversary FNC for the older Select card, for which Chase stopped accepting applications in 2018. As with the previous category, this FNC type has a hard cap of 40K redemption value.
Depending on how long you have been a Chase IHG cardholder and which cards you've held, your FNC Details page may also display a placeholder section ("0 Anniversary Nights") for two other FNC types that no longer exist:
  • Premier Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to March 24, 2022, the personal Premier card FNC was hard-capped at 40K value. On March 24, all unused FNCs of this type were automatically converted to Premier "flex" FNCs as described above.
  • Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to May 1, 2018, anniversary FNCs for the Select card were uncapped--that is, they could be used at any IHG property.

2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?

After you log into the website, click on the section at the top of the window showing your first name and current point balance. This will take you to the Overview page of the My Account section. Underneath the gray box showing your status level, member number, and points balance you will see a submenu with "Overview" selected. Click on "Rewards Wallet" to go to the page summarizing your FNCs. Click "Details" to see the type(s) of FNC(s) in your account.

You can also go directly to the Details page by logging in and visiting http://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/en...gmt/freenights (for English-speaking US members).

3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?

No.

4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?

You may cancel your reservation online using the same process as for any other reservation. The certificate is normally returned to your account immediately and available for re-use with no wait and no need to call IHG. For unknown reasons, on rare occasions a FNC will not instantly reappear; in such cases, call IHG customer service to have the FNC redeposited manually.

5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?

As of January 2019, members are reporting that they are unable to do this.
Formerly, some members reported success in doing this. (See, for example, the discussion at post #516.) Two basic recommendations:
  • It is advisable to obtain advance written confirmation, ideally from the hotel itself, that your certificate will be honored under these circumstances.
    • At least one FTer reports having successfully booked post-expiration stays without confirming with the property in advance; see posts 719 & 723. YMMV.
  • Once the certificate expiration date passes, you will not be able to make any changes to the reservation (occupancy, date, room type, etc).

6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?

No. FNCs are non-transferable.

7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC each year?

Yes. The Select card (legacy), the personal Premier card, and the Premier Business card all include an anniversary FNC as a benefit. But note the difference, discussed above, between the Select card FNC--capped at 40K value--and the "flex" FNCs associated with the other cards. The no-fee Traveler card does not provide a FNC benefit.

In previous years, Chase issued the anniversary FNC shortly before the annual fee was billed. More recently, Chase has begun delaying issuance of FNCs until at least 8 weeks after the annual-fee statement date, presumably to prevent accountholders from canceling their cards while keeping the FNC.

Questions related to the extension of the certificate due to the Coronavirus are discussed in its own thread, which is here.

Print Wikipost

Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by christianj
I've decided that I am going to cancel the card when it comes up for renewal since I just can't find any hotels that I would really want to stay at that are in the 40k range after the last round of January devaluations. I've typically used the free night certificates in NYC and with the last round of increases I can't even stay at a crappy HIX in the city any more with the certs. At least with the Marriott certs good up to 35k I can find a decent place to redeem for a free night....that is at least till Marriott implements peak category awards.
i've always used the cert in nyc as well & there still exist a handful of properties where i can use the free night....will hold on to the card for another year & see what happens with the category changes next year....
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Keyser
i've always used the cert in nyc as well & there still exist a handful of properties where i can use the free night....will hold on to the card for another year & see what happens with the category changes next year....
If I knew I could get the EVEN TS for the nights I would need it, I would keep the card since that is the only hotel that is of any interest to me that is still showing at 40k (only for some nights I have checked though).
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by christianj
If I knew I could get the EVEN TS for the nights I would need it, I would keep the card since that is the only hotel that is of any interest to me that is still showing at 40k (only for some nights I have checked though).
that's probably where i would use the cert as well going forward....
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:28 pm

IC Sydney Harbour

I am in Sydney for a 2 night stretch. I and am thinking of booking at the Intercontinental Sydney Harbour. I have one free night. The 'free night' does not seem to include a room with Harbour views (which is an upgrade). I do have Diamond Status at IHG, which should include an upgrade for paid nights.

Questions

1) Even if the hotel isn't willing to offer a free upgrade to a 'free night', would they be willing to upgrade me for an incremental cost ? I don't see an option for doing that on the web site - -it's either totally free room or fully paid room with Harbour views.

2) I could book the first night paid on a regular room, ask for an upgrade, and use the free room for the 2nd night. In that case, I presume they would likely not ask me to change rooms (assuming they have space), and would upgrade me for the free night too either without charging or by charging me the incremental cost difference ?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:44 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Prancer
Questions

1) Even if the hotel isn't willing to offer a free upgrade to a 'free night', would they be willing to upgrade me for an incremental cost ? I don't see an option for doing that on the web site - -it's either totally free room or fully paid room with Harbour views.
I have done this at IC Hong Kong. I wrote in advance and got a quote. I waited til I was in house to commit, hoping that the price would be flexible. It wasn't, and it was worth it to me to pay the price. They took into consideration the upgrade I would have gotten due to status and charged me the upgrade fee beyond that.

2) I could book the first night paid on a regular room, ask for an upgrade, and use the free room for the 2nd night. In that case, I presume they would likely not ask me to change rooms (assuming they have space), and would upgrade me for the free night too either without charging or by charging me the incremental cost difference ?
I paid for the room I wanted on the first night and used the award cert on the second night. They would have made me move if I had not paid the additional charge to remain in the room. I do not know how the IC Sydney would treat you.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Feb 20, 2019 at 6:50 pm
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by beltway
I'm not sure why anyone would upgrade as opposed to simply applying for the new card. Yes, an upgrade won't affect your 5/24 count, but the downsides include
  • no more 10% rebate, which you can't get any other way
  • you get a lousy upgrade bonus (I keep getting offered 5K, which is offensively low) instead of a healthy signup bonus
  • your AF goes up
thanks for posting, I didnt realize you lose the 10% rebate and the 4th night free. I upgraded b/c I needed another credit for global entry for my son. Maybe I should call and see if I can go back to the old card.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum, National EE
Has anyone ever successfully gotten IHG to extend the expiration date for the free night cert? I know I can book beyond the expiration date, so long as I don't need any changes to the reservation after it "expires", but I know Marriott has historically been willing to extend its certificates on occasion.

I am hoping to use one for my honeymoon in Bora Bora in May 2020. I have my final unrestricted cert that expires on 1/12/2020, and booking mid- to late-May will be just outside of the four-month window when award nights become available.

Any data points or advice is appreciated!
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Wait, are some people still able to book past the expiration as long as they don't change it? From recent experience this was no longer possible? Does calling do anything?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rdh0924
Has anyone ever successfully gotten IHG to extend the expiration date for the free night cert?
I don't think so.
I know I can book beyond the expiration date
Recent reports (read back for a few pages) are that you are no longer able to book beyond the expiration date.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by jbeckett
I don't think so.
Recent reports (read back for a few pages) are that you are no longer able to book beyond the expiration date.
Darn, thanks for the update. Sorry for the newbie question!
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone ever successfully gotten IHG to extend the expiration date for the free night cert? I know I can book beyond the expiration date, so long as I don't need any changes to the reservation after it "expires", but I know Marriott has historically been willing to extend its certificates on occasion.

I am hoping to use one for my honeymoon in Bora Bora in May 2020. I have my final unrestricted cert that expires on 1/12/2020, and booking mid- to late-May will be just outside of the four-month window when award nights become available.

Any data points or advice is appreciated!
i did once but it was years ago & in response to an error on ihg's part....i cancelled a reservation which i had made using the cert & for some reason the cert did not go back into my account....it took ihg almost 3 weeks to fix the issue....for this reason they agreed to let me use it 2 weeks after the original expiration date as a one time exception....
rdh0924 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:50 pm

What is the definitive answer on having to pay resort fees with the annual free night?

I stayed at the Palazzo this past weekend using my free night cert. At check-in, the clerk tried to charge me for taxes & resort fee, he printed out a confirmation receipt showing that I needed to pay both. I pulled up my confirmation from IHG where it stated: Taxes- Free, additional charges - empty, and showed it to him. The desk clerk then called over the manager. The manager came over, fairly confrontational (I understand why as I'm sure everyone & their mom tries to avoid these resort fees...). Manager stated that everyone is subject to taxes & fees on reward bookings & 3rd party booking sites don't do a good job explaining this. I rebutted by stating this is slightly different from a standard reward booking as no points are used & as per IHG, no taxes should be included, which was shown clearly on my confirmation. The Manager took my phone, read through my confirmation email... He then said that he would waive the taxes portion as my confirmation stated I didn't need to pay taxes, but yet I still needed to pay the resort fee as per their confirmation receipt. I asked him if it is possible their confirmation is off, as clearly I should have never been charged taxes to begin with. He got a bit annoyed at this and basically said I'm out of luck. I gotta pay the fee.

I gave up and said I was going to call IHG real quick as I was under the impression that everything, including the resort fees were included. Thinking IHG may give me a credit back for the amount if I was correct, and if I was wrong, I at least knew for next time. The manager looked at me and said, I'll just waive the fee, have a good night. And he took off.

Did I get lucky that he waived the fees?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by mendezka
What is the definitive answer on having to pay resort fees with the annual free night?

I stayed at the Palazzo this past weekend using my free night cert. At check-in, the clerk tried to charge me for taxes & resort fee, he printed out a confirmation receipt showing that I needed to pay both. I pulled up my confirmation from IHG where it stated: Taxes- Free, additional charges - empty, and showed it to him. The desk clerk then called over the manager. The manager came over, fairly confrontational (I understand why as I'm sure everyone & their mom tries to avoid these resort fees...). Manager stated that everyone is subject to taxes & fees on reward bookings & 3rd party booking sites don't do a good job explaining this. I rebutted by stating this is slightly different from a standard reward booking as no points are used & as per IHG, no taxes should be included, which was shown clearly on my confirmation. The Manager took my phone, read through my confirmation email... He then said that he would waive the taxes portion as my confirmation stated I didn't need to pay taxes, but yet I still needed to pay the resort fee as per their confirmation receipt. I asked him if it is possible their confirmation is off, as clearly I should have never been charged taxes to begin with. He got a bit annoyed at this and basically said I'm out of luck. I gotta pay the fee.

I gave up and said I was going to call IHG real quick as I was under the impression that everything, including the resort fees were included. Thinking IHG may give me a credit back for the amount if I was correct, and if I was wrong, I at least knew for next time. The manager looked at me and said, I'll just waive the fee, have a good night. And he took off.

yes you got lucky I never got the resort fee waived no matter how I tried in the past.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RedElmo

yes you got lucky I never got the resort fee waived no matter how I tried in the past.
Agree. It doesn't do any good to call IHG either, they'll tell you it's up to the hotel. No matter what your confirmation email says. Been there, done that. This is true for all IHG properties that charge additional fees (Kimpton also comes to mind).
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by mendezka

Yes, I believe you got lucky. (Though you should not have to pay taxes on any award stays, from my understanding.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.