Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crowne Plaza Helsinki Hesperia (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2011, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by martinp13
Thanks for info on both... I'll be at the HI one night and the CP the next in mid-July. Glad to hear that the HI is quiet... I was a little worried about that, given the general location!
Not always

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...hit-train.html
Old Jun 10, 2011, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Some updating information.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...-helsinki.html
Old Jun 27, 2011, 8:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Had a good weekend in Helsinki.

Check in was a little slow, but the lady was a trainee. No upgrade from the Club Junior Suite that I had paid for although larger suites were available . I was not happy and pressed, to no avail. No effort made to do anything else. I might raise with the PriorityClub.

The Club Junior suite was not large, but pleasant enough on the 9th floor and near the Club Lounge. Whilst in no way as good as an ICH Club Lounge, it was pleasant enough with nibbles in the evening (6-8pm)and wine/beer seemingly available all day. Sparse breakfast - fruit, pasteries, cereal, yogurt and cold meat/cheese.

Restaurant was good - nice food (Finnish and Mediterranean). Some dishes were about EUR3 or so cheaper if you showed your Priority Club card.

Impressive gym and nice sized pool.

15 minutes walk to the city centre. Holiday Inn better located but did not look quite as smart.

I would return despite the lack of upgrade.
I just stayed at this hotel and agree with most of the comments. However I booked a standard room on a 2-4-1 and was upgrade to a junior suite, so I was rather more happy with my check-in experience!
I wasn't too impressed with a restaurant for the price though, and also the breakfast in the club lounge didn't seem to appear while we were there
Old Oct 14, 2011, 2:41 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Another visit to the CP Helsinki.

Upgraded to a Club Suite at check in without asking by the pleasant and helpful staff member. ^ A huge improvement on my last visit.

Disappointed with the bar food. Ordered burgers and watched them sit for 15 or so minutes in the kitchen, whilst the chef laughed and joked with his colleagues as they were no orders to cook. Arrived freezing cold. The duty manager apologised, but no service recovery. Will not be returning there.

Evening snacks in lounge were limited - two to three items - but good quality. Wine and other drinks replenished regularly.

Some friendly staff!

Another good visit. ^

The unhelpful duty manager was there when I checked out, but I managed to pay the bill with his colleague.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:25 pm

I returned to the CP Helsinki for a weekend.

The unhelpful manager at reception has been moved to other duties more fitting for his talents, which is a result for him and us.

No upgrade from Junior Suite, although it was comfortable.

Lounge food the same as before, but possibly better quality.

By Sunday afternoon, the fridge in the lounge was empty with no effort to top up.

The staff are sometimes slow to clean up in the morning, so the tables are all covered in dirty plates etc. When we asked a lady for a bowl, as theer were none, she said "oh, it will be a long time", which meant "no, I will not go and get any or wash some for you". We washed some bowls. Not great service.

One or two great staff members.

Had a fun weekend in Helsinki, so will return.

Be warned - it is hard to get on the bus to the airport from near the hotel as it is often full when it leaves the bus station by the train station. We got on there after previous years of hassles and missed buses.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
How is hotel location for a first-time tourist visit? Also considering SPG Hotel Kamp but I will have a Chase cert to burn and apparently no IC options in Scandinavia.

Originally Posted by Shareholder
IIRC Helsinki used to have two ICs back in the early 90s. Always wondered how a city this small could sustain two high-end ICs. So are any of these current CPs or HIs former ICs? This is another of the few European cities that I still must get to in the next few years...
Also curious about this as I see past reference to IC Helskinki - I surmise it was rebranded? Pity.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 4:35 am

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by Boraxo
How is hotel location for a first-time tourist visit? .
If you don't need luxury I think the HI at the train station is best for a 1st time visit and tourism. Its just a much better location. Its on top the train station, you can't miss it, and short walk to sightsee.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
How is hotel location for a first-time tourist visit? Also considering SPG Hotel Kamp but I will have a Chase cert to burn and apparently no IC options in Scandinavia.
Stay at the Kamp. The location is far superior as is the hotel.

Also curious about this as I see past reference to IC Helskinki - I surmise it was rebranded? Pity.
The Scandic Hotel (Inter)Continental next to Crowne Plaza (former Hesperia) used to be InterContinental before Hilton bought the Scandic chain (and later sold). The other InterContinental is now Hilton Helsinki Strand.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 6:35 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
Location is not bad but I do agree with the others. Both Kämp and Holiday Inn city center are better locationwise.
Old May 29, 2014, 12:21 pm

I have an upcoming 2-night weekend trip, first time visiting Helsinki. I'm a Platinum and would assume a fairly reasonable chance at getting upgraded to Club Lounge access at the CP. Any recent experiences on upgrades for Platinums? I'm currently leaning toward staying at the HI city center due to the short trip for sightseeing. Prices are about the same, just tough to choose between Club access vs Location...
Old May 29, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
If you choose to get to Helsinki from the airport by Finnair bus, it will stop along CP and finally at HI city centre, so both will do transport-wise.

CP is not that far from HI either, and it is well located as well depending what you like to see. I would prefer the CP neighborhood always, but if you go for shopping then HI is better
Old May 29, 2014, 6:16 pm

Programs: LH Senator, IHG RA
Crowne Plaza, Helsinki

The club in CP Helsinki in really basic, very very limited BF and even more limited evening drinks. I am staying in this hotel every second week, always with club access and never bother to visit the club due the very limited offering. Location of CP is not bad, just few tram stops from city centre but I would stay in HI City Centre
Old Nov 29, 2014, 3:04 am

I just checked out from this hotel after 1-night award stay. Had the company Xmas party nearby and did not want to queue for a late night taxi and this hotel was conveniently on the Pointbreaks list now (5000 points/nite).

Got upgraded to Junior Suite (I'm IHG Plat) but it was not in the Club floor (8th floor, club is 9th). So I inquired about club access during checkin and was told it's 20+ euros per person. My spouse got in later and we decided to get the club access after all (for evening drinks and quick breakfast) and went back to reception to get it. Was told "it'll be like 20 euros added to the bill". So the price went down from 40+ euros to 20 euros. Then finally in the checkout they did not bill us anything for the lounge access. Go figure

Beer and wine, no spirits and very limited food options during evening "snack hour" in the lounge. The lounge breakfast is not massive (continental) but quality is ok and the lounge is a peaceful place to eat compared to downstairs.

Junior suite is nice and big with good amenities. They asked which newspaper we'd like to have but then forgot to deliver it in the morning. Oh well.

What is interesting is that in Finland it seems that all Restel-run IHG properties have instructed the reception people give you points or a drink voucher even on award stays. So I was once again given 600 point voucher when checking in. So the stay cost me only 4400 points. To my understanding they are not supposed to give you points voucher on award stay?

The hotel seemed quite busy and there was a lot of Xmas party groups around. All and all a great stay for 4400 points!
Old Mar 15, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Considering a stay very late May. Any recent hotel reviews particularly related to IHG Platinum status benefits and the merits of paying for Club room versus standard room (25e/night additional), and wifi quality. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Was there last winter, staying at the HI over the train station. You can get to almost every major site downtown walking from there. We got up early to walk over and watch the ferry come in at sunrise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.