Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever given too many points?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Plat, AA-Plat, PC-Plat Amb, tons of others...
Ever given too many points?

Not complaining, but usually the complaint is that you usually don't get the full value of points on your stay, since they deduct taxes and lord knows what else. Particularly with international stays.

Now I have an international stay (London) where basically they gave me credit for nearly double what my stay was (minus taxes, etc.). Ever happen to you?

(And before you ask, my cc did not get double-charged.)
Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:39 am

Programs: Platinum RA - SPG Gold
Never happened to me. What was the hotel ? Maybe they had an offer for that period. Or maybe you were registered for an offer that gives double points or something ?
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:43 pm

Programs: Delta-PM, Marriott-Plat, PC-Gold
I was once given 15 1,000-pt certificates for bad internet connectivity. It was in silicon valley, across the street from Cisco... I mean... no excuse, right?

Anyway, I had complained about the speed all week, they told me they knew it was a problem. It was so bad that what should have taken me 15 min, took me nearly 2 hours. I explained to them I couldn't bill my customer for 2 hours, it wasn't right. So, they offered me the certs. When I counted them out, they had given me 16. I told them (after double- and triple-checking), and they told me to keep the extra one.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Meshal
Never happened to me. What was the hotel ? Maybe they had an offer for that period. Or maybe you were registered for an offer that gives double points or something ?
No, nothing like that. I was looking at the GBP portion of the stay recorded on line, and the amounts are about double, like I stated before. This is before any bonuses, which were nicely calculated against the double amount.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 12:41 am

Programs: AC*E, Airmiles Onyx (reluctantly), Marriott Titanium, IHG PC Platinum
GBP to USD = 1.6x
Old Mar 30, 2011, 4:36 am

Programs: Ambassador, spg plat
Indeed, points are based on USD, is that it maybe?
Old Mar 30, 2011, 5:37 am

Programs: IHG Spire, BW Diamond Select, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by hunkster
Indeed, points are based on USD, is that it maybe?
They are. According to the T&C: "you will receive ten (10) points for each USD dollar or local currency equivalent paid toward Eligible Charges on your individual hotel room bill, when you pay Qualifying Room Rates."

So 100 GBP = 160 USD = 1600 points.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 7:43 am

Programs: PC, HHonours
It has happened to me a couple of times, they doubled the local euro room rate on the points calculation....no promotion, just a cock up....a very good one.

Happened to colleagues who checked out on a thursday about a month ago, dudes out on friday got the correct rate so were out of luck.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 1:27 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Lifetime P, IC RA, Hyatt D
I was once given more than 4 times than what I should have earned. Can't complain too much about it.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pkeung
GBP to USD = 1.6x
Yes -- I agree. But I looked at the online point statement that shows BOTH GBP and USD, and the GBP is nearly double.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.