Search

IC Kuala Lumpur (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by El_Duderito
Just got this excellent explanation from the IC KL outlining the RA upgrades:
The RA benefits are stingy. They also make a "special" treatment to RA's minibars as I posted on FT and with pictures here as well.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 8:28 pm

Programs: QF-LTS & P, SQ-TPPS, IC-RA, HH-D, *wood G, Others
Originally Posted by infoworks
I can ask in the morning
I asked. The hotel will honour fee internet and use of mini bar for an RA but no upgrad and no lounge access. Policy from IGH.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by holtju2
The RA benefits are stingy. They also make a "special" treatment to RA's minibars as I posted on FT and with pictures here as well.
The treatment as pictured is not entirely accurate. The hotel has now changed the contents of mini bars in general so some of the items shown now in the 1st picture no longer exist in any mini bars in the hotel

They do reduce the quantity of items in the mini bar however; they only provide 1 of each item

They do try to avoid providing the published RA upgrade benefits by not providing any of an executive room, club room or suite when booking the lowest category room
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The treatment as pictured is not entirely accurate. The hotel has now changed the contents of mini bars in general so some of the items shown now in the 1st picture no longer exist in any mini bars in the hotel
I have to do a test next time. lol

They do try to avoid providing the published RA upgrade benefits by not providing any of an executive room, club room or suite when booking the lowest category room
I have been to this property probably close to ten times in the past 6 months. These have all been paid stays. I have ALWAYS received a club room regardless that I have booked the most basic level room, but I have never received a suite.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:05 pm

I have been to this property probably close to ten times in the past 6 months. These have all been paid stays. I have ALWAYS received a club room regardless that I have booked the most basic level room, but I have never received a suite.
As of at least may, the hotel's upgrade policy is as per post 72 in this thread ( http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18570264-post72.html )

Book a deluxe room and will get a Grand Premier room ( which has no club access ) ; if you are getting upgrades to a club without booking at least a premier room then you are getting better service than they give to Royal Ambassadors normally; staying regularly there may well be getting you additional benefits

Personally I prefer to stay at the Crowne Plaza in KL
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As of at least may, the hotel's upgrade policy is as per post 72 in this thread ( http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18570264-post72.html )
Yes. I have seen it, but that doesn't comply with the RA benefits.

Personally I prefer to stay at the Crowne Plaza in KL
The location of the CP is better, but it is an old hotel that going to be demolished soon.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:36 pm

Yes. I have seen it, but that doesn't comply with the RA benefits.
I know it doesn't comply, but that is what they are doing

The location of the CP is better, but it is an old hotel that going to be demolished soon.
I find the rooms there very nice ; that it may have been there for a longer period may well be true but the rooms are (imo) nice. Until it closes, that is my preferred KL option
Old Jun 22, 2012, 7:44 pm

PC T&Cs say that an RA should be upgraded to an exec room, Club IC room or suite. From the cheapest room here (deluxe) they upgrade you to what is called a Grand Premier room which the FD classes as an exec room, when in fact it's just a refurbed room on the lower floors. The actual exec rooms are up on the higher floors 20+.

The Grand Premier has no club access... Had to argue with the FD with their website on my laptop and the PC T&Cs that the The Grand PRemier is not an exec room. They grudgingly gave me club access, but still in a low room overlooking construction that goes day to night.

I've stayed in many ICs around the world and this one is by far the worst I have seen in treatment of RAs.

I also tried the new DoubleTree up the road, even though I am not a Hilton Diamond... I was treated wonderfully there, nice suite with Club access. This DT is good enough to be a full-blown Hilton.

Last edited by pr0digy25; Jun 22, 2012 at 8:58 pm
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:26 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
For info - as a Platinum Ambassador I got the following back from the hotel:

Deluxe room Upgrade to Premier room
Premier room Upgrade to Grand Premier
Grand Premier Upgrade to Executive Club Room (access Club lounge)
Executive Club room upgrade to Executive Suite room (access Club Lounge)
Executive Suite room upgrade to Ambassador Suite (access club lounge)

However, if the room booking using reward night then will remain at the same category which is DELUXE ROOM

Regards

aks120
Old Jul 3, 2012, 9:53 am

Having stayed a few nights at the IC KUL over a period of a week and a half I can say this property is utterly shameful.

First off is the aforementioned minibar ripoff... I am not a drinker yet I feel ripped off with 3 measly beers. Not even a bottle of wine despite the quite extensive wine list in the in room dining menu.

Second is the RA upgrade.... If you book the most basic room you get upgraded to a Grand Premier room which is well appointed albeit on the lower floors and without club access. If you want a room on a higher floor you will have to book on the executive floor.

Sounds easy enough right? Well you pay more naturally for an exec/club level room... But what you get is an old Nikko room that shows significant signs of wear and tear. Pay more, get less seems to be the appropriate idiom here.

The Grand Premier rooms are not executive rooms as they are not on the executive floor yet the IC KUL likes to think of them as that. Why they would refurbish basic rooms first I have no idea, perhaps to give the illusion to the non status stayer that the hotel has undergone extensive refurbishment which is sorely not the case.

So my advice for those RAs looking to book this property is book the most basic room which will give youa new Grand Premier room and either arm yourself with the PC T&Cs to give you club access or negotiate for the club as a supplement to the GP room.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by pr0digy25
Having stayed a few nights at the IC KUL over a period of a week and a half I can say this property is utterly shameful.

First off is the aforementioned minibar ripoff... I am not a drinker yet I feel ripped off with 3 measly beers. Not even a bottle of wine despite the quite extensive wine list in the in room dining menu.

The minibar "rip-off" does not remove any actual item types from the minibar, just that instead of being 2 of each item, they only provide 1. That there is no wine is not an issue of RA, just that they dont have them in the bar

So my advice for those RAs looking to book this property is book the most basic room which will give youa new Grand Premier room and either arm yourself with the PC T&Cs to give you club access or negotiate for the club as a supplement to the GP room.
Good luck; if you want club access then you will generally need to book a premier room which upgrades to club room ( which would I suspect be much better value than negotiating a rate for club access ). The difference in price between a deluxe room and a premier room is only about USD10 to USD13 a night

Personally, I much prefer the Crowne Plaza to the IC in KL and would now book that rather than the IC
Old Jul 3, 2012, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good luck; if you want club access then you will generally need to book a premier room which upgrades to club room ( which would I suspect be much better value than negotiating a rate for club access ). The difference in price between a deluxe room and a premier room is only about USD10 to USD13 a night
Either a suite or club access as quite a few of the IC properties seem to do. There is nothing "premier" or "grand" on this Grand Premier room.

Personally, I much prefer the Crowne Plaza to the IC in KL and would now book that rather than the IC
I would rather not to book either of these two IHG properties in KL. Why give money to substandard properties?

If you prefer to stay around the IC, the DoubleTree is an excellent option. HH Diamond members can expect both a suite (if available) and club access (guaranteed). Also, the club at the DT is better than at the IC.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 4:32 pm

Either a suite or club access as quite a few of the IC properties seem to do. There is nothing "premier" or "grand" on this Grand Premier room.
There is the cop-out in the T&Cs of "Executive Room" ; KL does seem to stick to 2 categories upgrade for RAs which means that a basic room booking doesnt get club access; fortunately the price of next category room is pretty small

I would rather not to book either of these two IHG properties in KL. Why give money to substandard properties?

If you prefer to stay around the IC, the DoubleTree is an excellent option. HH Diamond members can expect both a suite (if available) and club access (guaranteed). Also, the club at the DT is better than at the IC.
I don't find the CP to be a substandard property, but quite a decent property so am quite happy to stay there; the suites there are quite decent. I also find the CP location to be better than the IC location

getting HH Diamond in the 1st place is the problem for me, since not many reasonable value Hiltons where I tend to go
Old Jul 4, 2012, 3:39 am

There is the cop-out in the T&Cs of "Executive Room" ; KL does seem to stick to 2 categories upgrade for RAs which means that a basic room booking doesnt get club access; fortunately the price of next category room is pretty small
These is nothing in the PC T&Cs that say a "two level" upgrade. It says Exec Room, Club IC Room or Suite for an upgrade.

IC KUL tried to argue that the GP rooms were Executive Rooms, but the actual Exec Rooms are on the upper (20-24th floor or somewhere abouts) and are actually the old Nikko rooms.

The IHG website does not mention anywhere that a GP room is an Exec Room and with that fact and showing the T&Cs to the loyalty manager, I wretched free club access out of them. Sure it was only a few dollars more to pay for the Club, but if they are not adhering to IHG guidelines then they need to be corrected.

Staff told me there that the franchisee is actually pretty backward and seems to go against the advice of IHG on many aspects of the hotel. So who knows, if things continue the way they are.... may not be an IC in KUL for too many years.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 3:50 am

These is nothing in the PC T&Cs that say a "two level" upgrade. It says Exec Room, Club IC Room or Suite for an upgrade.

IC KUL tried to argue that the GP rooms were Executive Rooms, but the actual Exec Rooms are on the upper (20-24th floor or somewhere abouts) and are actually the old Nikko rooms.

The IHG website does not mention anywhere that a GP room is an Exec Room and with that fact and showing the T&Cs to the loyalty manager, I wretched free club access out of them. Sure it was only a few dollars more to pay for the Club, but if they are not adhering to IHG guidelines then they need to be corrected.

Staff told me there that the franchisee is actually pretty backward and seems to go against the advice of IHG on many aspects of the hotel. So who knows, if things continue the way they are.... may not be an IC in KUL for too many years.

I don't disagree tha they seem to be actively trying to avoid providing the benefits and , indeed, a 2 level upgrade is definitely not in the T&Cs ...

Knowing what the hotel does however , it is (imo) easier to either avoid staying there or book a room 2 categories lower than what room type is wanted than have to engage in fights over everything there. If wanting a club room, the extra cost of a premier room is fortunately trivial. If looking for higher category rooms ( e.g. suite ) , the plus of their policies is that it is v easy to know exactly what to book in order to get the desired category

Personally, I happily stay at the CP where I have tended to receive very good service

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.