Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Singapore or CP Changi during transit ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
IC Singapore or CP Changi during transit ?

I am now possibly facing a 13.5 hours (1:40am-3:05pm) layover in Singapore, although not set in stone, a very high chance.

I have a free night cert from last year's end promotion, have checked both hotels have availability using the cert on the day that I want. This will be my very first time to Singapore, but I still would stay low and not expect to spend little to no money.

OK, so basically I had looked into CP, the pro is it connected to the airport, it would be good to just jump right into bed after customs. I also see all rates include breakfast ? Is that a mistake ? As I had read the CP thread about this hotel no one mentioned free breakfast except those book breakfast rate or club with lounge access. I thought about after I wake up the next morning, depends on how late I get up, would either go back to the airport for a free tour to the city, or if late then checkin early to do some airline lounge hopping.

Are there any cons to the CP that I should book IC instead ? The con I can see for IC is since I arrive so late, if I take a taxi I have to pay after midnight surcharge ? Not sure if it would be an expensive ride, and probably I have to take the taxi back to the airport the next day too.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:04 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
I would take the CP. If you are not interested to see anything in SIN, why should you stay in the city, just for a transit stop ?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 1:04 am

Programs: IHG, BA
CP by a mile.

Get there without a taxi, have dinner at the hotel or in T3 (up the escalators by checkin).
Have a few drinks, watch some planes take off, then have breakfast and go.

Rooms there are also VERY nice! Probably the best airport you might ever stay in.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Yup, the CP is an outstanding property with an impressive modern design.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Raffles
Yup, the CP is an outstanding property with an impressive modern design.
+1

And there is nothing to see in Singapore
Old Feb 25, 2011, 2:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would take the Crowne Plaza too. Why spend money on a taxi and have travel time each way when not going to be in Singapore for any time
Old Feb 25, 2011, 2:40 am

Programs: IC: Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
I am now possibly facing a 13.5 hours (1:40am-3:05pm) layover in Singapore, although not set in stone, a very high chance.

I have a free night cert from last year's end promotion, have checked both hotels have availability using the cert on the day that I want. This will be my very first time to Singapore, but I still would stay low and not expect to spend little to no money.

OK, so basically I had looked into CP, the pro is it connected to the airport, it would be good to just jump right into bed after customs. I also see all rates include breakfast ? Is that a mistake ? As I had read the CP thread about this hotel no one mentioned free breakfast except those book breakfast rate or club with lounge access. I thought about after I wake up the next morning, depends on how late I get up, would either go back to the airport for a free tour to the city, or if late then checkin early to do some airline lounge hopping.

Are there any cons to the CP that I should book IC instead ? The con I can see for IC is since I arrive so late, if I take a taxi I have to pay after midnight surcharge ? Not sure if it would be an expensive ride, and probably I have to take the taxi back to the airport the next day too.
Was it the Sweet Dilema promotion?

Then the free night will not be valid in Asia.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by sweets61250

Give the man a cigar! Asia and Pacific hotels were not participating so the free stay won't be honoured -- or able to be booked -- for either property. In any case, the CP would be the better choice unless you really want to be city centre and indulge in a hawker food stall outing.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by sweets61250

Ok, thanks for pointing out, so much for that thought.

Originally Posted by Shareholder
In any case, the CP would be the better choice unless you really want to be city centre and indulge in a hawker food stall outing.
Do you know if CP indeed provide free breakfast for all rates ? It mentioned on the top of the booking rate when the price of rooms are showed.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:34 am

Programs: NW Diamond, LH SEN, PC Spire - RA, TG PlatHyatt Diamond
Do you know if CP indeed provide free breakfast for all rates ? It mentioned on the top of the booking rate when the price of rooms are showed.
Not that I aware of.

On the other side CP Changi is the most generous property for early check-in and room upgrade, as a RA Plat I am able to check-in around 3:00AM and always upgraded to corner suite room without club benefit.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 1:36 am

Programs: US CP, DL GM, AA Plat
The CP does have a really nice outdoor swimming pool. IC is also not bad if you have to stay there since it is connected to a large mall complex.

For food at the airport, go for the Popeye's chicken...so good!
Old Feb 26, 2011, 2:15 am

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Is breakfast included in the reward night stay too? Do they give room upgrade Plat. RA on reward night?
Old Feb 26, 2011, 7:57 am

Taxi ride from airport to IC less than SGD20. With midnight charge, within SGD30. Going back to Airport is cheaper. About SGD15, depends on time of day, traffic conditions.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 9:50 pm

You can always take the MTR. Cheap, convenient, quick. I believe you need to change from the airport train to a regular train (just follow everybody else when the train from the airort stops and everybody leaves).
Go to Bugis station. The hotel is in the same complex as the station itself, just walk thru the shopping center and the back entrance of the hotel is there. Around 2 or 3 min walk. Not sure if there is a train at 2 am.

At least you have something to see / do before you go back the next day.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:53 pm

I have a free night cert from last year's end promotion, have checked both hotels have availability using the cert on the day that I want. ? .

yes the CP is pretty nice

no breakky though but they do allow late checkout if avail
we went into town by metro for a few hours then back to apt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.