Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

InterContinental Porto Palacio Das Cardosas (Portugal) Master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2011, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle

The InterContinental Porto Palacio Das Cardosas (Portugal) is now accepting reservations for stays from October 15, 2011 onwards.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 6:04 am

Programs: SK*G, IC RA
Originally Posted by nicolas75
The InterContinental Porto Palacio Das Cardosas (Portugal) is now accepting reservations for stays from October 15, 2011 onwards.
Actually, on the website you can make reservations from August 1, 2011.

Anyone with prior experiences? Is this a "soft opening"? Or will the reservations simply be cancelled?
Old Feb 23, 2011, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by nikconnor
looks reasonable for costs..
It's showing Ł200-ish a weekend night.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
It's showing Ł200-ish a weekend night.
Isn't it a reasonable price for a new luxury hotel in a historical building, in the very centre of a touristic town, at flexible price ?
Old Feb 24, 2011, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nicolas75
Isn't it a reasonable price for a new luxury hotel in a historical building, in the very centre of a touristic town, at flexible price ?
Given that tax is included, and there are not so many reliable hotels in the centre, I might revise my jaundiced opinion after a stay

But we are talking provincial Portugal, not Paris, or even London, and I'm somewhat inured to the charms of Porto by family visits.

Before IC launch date, the Infante Sagres is historic, central, and comfortable enough - though the "historic" element can be just a little too evident... Another Palacio is the Pousada, which is on the Douro, up-river from the centre. Not in the nicest area, but built by the architect responsible for the Torre dos Clerigos, it has a certain Baroque cachet. I can't imagine either will cost much over 100 Euro.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Best price comparison is presumably The Yeatman, the super-luxury boutique property just opened on the other side of the river.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raffles
Best price comparison is presumably The Yeatman, the super-luxury boutique property just opened on the other side of the river.
Indeed, though local gossip is that as a vanity project it might not last long in its present form. They are discounting quite heavily and selling to tour groups.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed, though local gossip is that as a vanity project it might not last long in its present form. They are discounting quite heavily and selling to tour groups.
We were booked to go there last October, but they rang us 48 hours before departure to tell us that, er, they still hadn't got round to finishing off the pool, spa or kids club - the only 3 bits of the hotel we really needed. They were so desperate not to lose the booking that they offered to order all the builders in the pool to stop work for an hour or so a day at a time to suit us, so we could use it! (It had water in, they were still finishing off the deco) Luckily the flights were on miles so I was able to rebook us to Lisbon and we went to the Ritz-Carlton resort near Estoril.

Opening reviews of The Yeatman were exceptionally good, it would be a shame if it started to fall away before they've even got through a Summer.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And it's nice to get an IC in Portugal again. The council and tourism folk of Porto were cock-a-hoop their city stole the march on Lisbon.

More importantly, a smart new hotel will help rehabilitate the rather run-down area around the station.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 3:00 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum
More importantly, a smart new hotel will help rehabilitate the rather run-down area around the station.
So what about the area around the hotel? Is it not that nice? What about safety and going out at night?

Wanted to visit Porto for a few years now and with a new IC will probably do so in October / November.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note that redemption rooms here are currently just 30k (as is normal for pre-opening IC's) - this will presumably jump to 40k after opening
Old Jun 10, 2011, 3:34 am

I will be very interested in reports as I am hoping to be there mid sept.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tinkybelle
I will be very interested in reports as I am hoping to be there mid sept.
will be there on 1st August
Old Jun 11, 2011, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I'm thinking of a mid-August stay. What's Porto like in August?
Old Jun 12, 2011, 9:44 am

Programs: BMI/SQ/AFKL/PC RAmboŽ/Oyster/B&Q
Originally Posted by stimpy
I'm thinking of a mid-August stay. What's Porto like in August?

...like most of southern Europe tends to be- ie best avoided unless you absolutely have to go

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.