Wiki Posts
Search

Why does ICHG dislike Sweden?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2011, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
Why does ICHG dislike Sweden?

I'm looking at hotels in Stockholm for an upcoming weekend break, and was saddened to see this list of ICHG hotels in the country http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/6c/...rectory/sweden

Does anyone want to guess why ICHG have no properties in the country?

Any, perhaps more importantly, anyone care to recommend a good hotel in central Stockholm? The Hilton is looking the most likely candidate so far; I don't want to spend much more than ~1200SEK.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
They did have The Grand Hotel Stockholm as an IC until recently, but they decided to cancel their IHG affiliation for 2011.

Was a bargain too at 30k/night.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:48 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
I'd recommend Hotel Rival but it may be above your budget.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer
I'm looking at hotels in Stockholm for an upcoming weekend break, and was saddened to see this list of ICHG hotels in the country http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/6c/...rectory/sweden

Does anyone want to guess why ICHG have no properties in the country?

Any, perhaps more importantly, anyone care to recommend a good hotel in central Stockholm? The Hilton is looking the most likely candidate so far; I don't want to spend much more than ~1200SEK.
Well, be glad there's a Hilton in Sweden, because there's none in Norway!

In general, the "big" chains have sparse representation north of the Baltic. Choice (through a separate Choice Scandinavia) has a good presence there, but if you belong to Choice Priveleges in (the rest of) Europe or elsewhere in the world, you can redeem but not earn at Choice Scandinavia properties.

Radissson also has a high presernce in Scandinavia, where it tends to be labeled "SAS Radisson" (ie, a tie-in to the Scandinavian airline).

But Hilton, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Starwood... don't count on them, if they have anything, it's just this country but not that one, and only likely a property or two at best in only the capital city.

There's also a bunch of Scandinavia-specific hotel chains, like Scandic (which used to be part of Hilton HHonors for a while last decade but now indie again), Riva, etc. Chains you'd likely not to encouner much outside of Scandinavia...
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:00 am

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, Flying Blue Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
There is a Hilton (Doubletree) in Oslo.

Xxx.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 4:01 pm

There's not any in Norway either, that's weird consider Scandinavian Airlines once owned 40% of IHG

Best Western seems to have a high-profile presence , but it is certainly not the budget brand it is in the US.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Radissson also has a high presernce in Scandinavia, where it tends to be labeled "SAS Radisson" (ie, a tie-in to the Scandinavian airline).
The former SAS Radisson, Europe, Asia and Middle East Radisson's master franchise, is now called Radisson Blu.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by no-backpacker
Well, as you said, it's a Doubletree, not a Hilton proper. At any rate, it's brand new, and it's still the only HHonors property in Norway, and of course therefore it's only in the capital (Oslo).
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:30 am

Well, as you said, it's a Doubletree, not a Hilton proper. At any rate, it's brand new, and it's still the only HHonors property in Norway, and of course therefore it's only in the capital (Oslo).
there's a Grand Hotel in Oslo as well, which also has a Spa (As our hotel guest you have free access to our facilities in the SPA department)

http://www.grand.no/
Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:10 am

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, Flying Blue Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Sorry, I'm not that into the Hilton brand. I just walked past it last weekend when I was in Oslo.

The Grand hotel is ok, but I didn't like the SPA facilities free for guests. The swimming-pool is small and the changing-rooms are very small. I never tried any treatments. The breakfast is very good and the breakfast-area is nice. 5* prices, but I would not rate it as 5* international standard. The same goes for Hotel Continental, which is supposed to be the best hotel in Oslo (Norway?).

Xxx.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 7:51 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
RIP Doubletree Oslo

Originally Posted by no-backpacker
Unfortunately not any more. The Oslo Doubletree left Hilton in August, 2012 and is now Hotel Oslo City Centre.

Fortunately, they are honoring existing Hilton bookings.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:31 am

There is a rather new Courtyard Marriott in central Stockholm which is getting good reviews.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 4:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
Good hotels in Stokholm are:
Sheraton
Nordic Light
Radisson Blu

These are all very well located in the city.

Hilton is fine to, next to the old town of Stockholm.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 2:28 am

It's 2019 and still no IHG properties in Stockholm! They seem to be making a big play for Helsinki, though.
ChinaShrek likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by taffygrrl
It's 2019 and still no IHG properties in Stockholm! They seem to be making a big play for Helsinki, though.
I stayed at the Indigo Helsinki not long ago. It's a nice property but as we know, IHG really doesn't take care of its elites well. That trip, I had three Marriott stays and one IHG. At all the Marriott properties, I had breakfast/lounge access and complimentary late checkouts. At the Indigo Helsinki, I paid 10 euros for a 3:45pm checkout and breakfast would have been 25 euros - I went to a local grocery store and picked up some breakfast food for a few euros instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.