Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anywhere Challenge: Win up to 60,000 points over the next 8 weeks

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:04 am

Programs: ICH Plt Royal Amb, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Plat, HHons,
very sneaky hiding the picture of the Rafflesia behind the banner of how many points you can earn today
Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:06 am

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
Its Sabah, Borneo, Malaysia.

The three photos posted earlier in those different posts - great work guys! - are all 100% and without any doubt the different elements in the image (1] the village, 2] the boat, and 3] the rocks). Each are taken from a different part of Sabah, but all are from Sabah... plus there is the flower thing, and the reality TV bit (a few such shows have taken place across Sabah, but each in different parts of Sabah) - ergo, it cannot be anything more specific than Sabah, Borneo, Malaysia, and everything suggest that this is the right answer too.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:07 am

It seems there are different types of Rafflesia. The extracted image is of a Rafflesia keithii, which is found in Borneo, Sabah, East Kalimantan.

Specifically the Kinabalu National Park.

Would that include the sea and the water village though - is that too specific?

Last edited by dazbear; Sep 29, 2010 at 5:12 am
Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by dazbear
It seems there are different types of Rafflesia. The extracted image is of a Rafflesia keithii, which is found in Borneo, Sabah, East Kalimantan.

Specifically the Kinabalu National Park.

Would that include the sea and the water village though - is that too specific?
It seems to me that they're not included (from Google images) - I'm agreeing with Aisle Seat H & think I will go with Sabah, Borneo, Malaysia as that seems to cover the right keywords.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:53 am

Programs: IC Platinum Royal Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mymsman
Various people have posted links to portions of today's image

I have gathered the links together in a shutterstock light box
http://www.shutterstock.com/public_l...7d0a62af9e57bd I hope it helps

So the location is conclusively in Sabah Malaysia but does it need further qualification?

Some of the pictures are captioned as Mabul island but was this island used for Survivor?
This is great thank you. I believe I found the water photo:

It too shows Mabul Island
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:10 am

Programs: PC Platinum, Best Western Diamond, Skywards, Nectar
Hi there,
Fresh face to the forum, but reading through some of the threads, and especially regarding the Japan link, initially I wasn't sure it really
was a red herring, as Japan also ran their Survivor show in Palau, along with a number of other countries.
Pulau Tiga on the other hand was also used for the Survivor Show(Sabha, Malaysia) but I'm pretty sure that the Japanese version was never filmed here. So did the challenge researchers get this one wrong??
Season 1: Palau
Season 2: Hokkaido
Season 3: Phillipines
Season 4: North Mariana

The american version titled 'Survivor:Borneo' was actually filmed in Pulau Tiga, Sabha, Malaysia. The american version also filmed in Palau twice.
Easy to confuse the two Palau/Pulau
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Plants:
The World's Largest Flowers

Indonesia is home to some unusual plant species, including some of the world's largest, and most smelly, flowers. The Rafflesia arnoldi and Amorphophallus titanum, comprise the world's largest, and tallest flowers, respectively.

The R.arnoldi - named after Sir Stamford Raffles and his physician Joseph Arnold - reaches about one meter in diameter, and may weigh up to seven kilograms. It is a parasitic plant, growing on the woody liana, Tatrasigma, and in its non-flowering stage is almost invisible, consisting of microscopic filaments growing inside the liana. Several years may elapse before flowering begins, at which stage a tiny orange-brown, cabbage-like bud appears, gradually growing to its huge size
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is either Sabah Malaysia, or another island in that region that starts with M. The flower is found in Sabah,Malaysia and in Indonesia as well.

They are found on peninsular Malaysia and southern Thailand, on Borneo Island, in restricted areas of the Philippines and in Sumatra.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:37 am

The Island of Tahaa in French Polynesia is also known as the worlds largest flower because the island is flower shaped,
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:44 am

Programs: BMI/SQ/AFKL/PC RAmbo®/Oyster/B&Q
You have to bear in mind the island of Borneo is purely a geographic name and not political :being split between 2 (Filipinos would argue 3) nations .Having Borneo in the location is a bit like putting 'Iberian Peninsula' in the address line of some Portuguese address.

Last edited by docklander; Sep 29, 2010 at 6:50 am Reason: spelin
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Terry S
The Island of Tahaa in French Polynesia is also known as the worlds largest flower because the island is flower shaped,
Yes which reality shows were taped there?
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:57 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
It is either Sabah Malaysia, or another island in that region that starts with M. The flower is found in Sabah,Malaysia and in Indonesia as well.

They are found on peninsular Malaysia and southern Thailand, on Borneo Island, in restricted areas of the Philippines and in Sumatra.
Then the key would be at which one more TV reality shows were filmed.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aisle Seat H
Its Sabah, Borneo, Malaysia.

The three photos posted earlier in those different posts - great work guys! - are all 100% and without any doubt the different elements in the image (1] the village, 2] the boat, and 3] the rocks). Each are taken from a different part of Sabah, but all are from Sabah... plus there is the flower thing, and the reality TV bit (a few such shows have taken place across Sabah, but each in different parts of Sabah) - ergo, it cannot be anything more specific than Sabah, Borneo, Malaysia, and everything suggest that this is the right answer too.

But do you not have to be precise exactly where in Sabah?

Some films and TV shows filmed in Sabah include the reality show Survivor: Borneo, The Amazing Race, Eco-Challenge Borneo, films Bat*21, as well as a number of Hong Kong production films such as Born Rich. Sabah was also featured in Sacred Planet, a documentary hosted by Robert Redford.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Sep 29, 2010 at 7:07 am
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:01 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by docklander
You have to bear in mind the island of Borneo is purely a geographic name and not political :being split between 2 (Filipinos would argue 3) nations .Having Borneo in the location is a bit like putting 'Iberian Peninsula' in the address line of some Portuguese address.
Sabah should do the job, adding Malaysia as well: Sabah, Borneo, Malaysia.
The Indonesian part is commonly refered to as Kalimantan, whereas in Indonesia -politically speaking- Borneo rather denotes Sabah, Sarawak and Brunei.

Moreover, it's politically split into 3, Brunei, Malaysia, Indonesia.

Oh, and apart from this smart-... post, I wildly guessed and submitted "Kinabalu Park, Sabah, Malaysia."

Last edited by Chinatrvl; Sep 29, 2010 at 7:11 am
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by DrG
This promotion is actually helping me discover numerous places I need to visit sometime soon. Sabah looks beautiful. So does Okinawa, despite being the incorrect answer.
Your absolutely right.

But I thought you were pressed for time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.