Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ACK! Discovered reserved hotel is no longer a HI

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2010, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest CP, Hyatt Gold Passport Plat, Priority Club Plat, Best Western Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
Angry ACK! Discovered reserved hotel is no longer a HI

On February 21, I made a reservation for the night of May 28 at the Holiday Inn International Falls, located at 1500 Hwy 71, International Falls, MN. It's a prepaid, non-refundable Advanced Purchase rate. We've stayed there every year for the past several for our annual fishing trip, it's the halfway point during the drive where we stop for the night.

Today I was working on travel plans and logged onto Priority Club to print out my reservation, where I can see the Confirmation number along with the notation CONFIRMED, but the "View Reservation" link would only take me to a blank white page. Searching for a hotel located in International Falls gave me the error message, "Sorry, there are no hotels that matched your travel preferences. Try expanding your search for more results."

I phoned Customer Service and twice was disconnected after a live person answered but before I could finish explaining my dilemma. The third call, I was told that the Int'l Falls location was no longer a Holiday Inn as of April 30 and then was transferred to a different representative, to whom I had to explain everything all over again. Although sympathetic to my situation, the only thing he did was call the property to "see if they'll honor your reservation at the current rate". It's now called the Rainy River Inn http://www.hiifalls.com Thankfully they will, at this point I have no choice but to stay there since the few other hotels in this remote location are already sold out. When I asked for the confirmation number, he stammered that there wasn't one, that "I talked to the hotel directly and they'll honor your rate". I told him I wanted documentation and he offered to call the hotel back again but I told him I would do that myself.

I'm very upset that I found this out due to my own diligence and was not notified by the hotel in any way. I explained that from my point of view, I have a prepaid confirmation and would have shown up at "The Inn Formerly Known as Holiday" with no valid reservation and nowhere else available to stay. To place a customer in this predicament is totally unacceptable. The response was to tell me that my "suggestions" would be noted. What?!?

I also mentioned that now I won't be earning any Priority Club credit or points for this stay and was told that isn't possible since it's not HI anymore but not offered any compensation.

Sorry for the babbling post, but I would very much appreciate some valued Flyertalk opinions about this before I compose an email.

Last edited by SisterEarth; May 11, 2010 at 3:41 pm
Old May 11, 2010, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt AA-Plat 0.1MM AMTK-Select IHG-Gold
Originally Posted by SisterEarth

I also mentioned that now I won't be earning any Priority Club credit or points for this stay and was told that isn't possible since it's not HI anymore but not offered any compensation.

I'd try writing IHG's president and explain your situation. I'd explain that you you booked this property with the expectation that you would earn PC points and the fact that the property left the franchise isn't exactly your fault. Please let me know what happens.

Rick
Old May 11, 2010, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Had this happen with a stay a couple of years ago at what was an HI at ORD. It had just changed to a Wyndham and my booking and rate were honored. A letter to the PC Customer Service centre explaining the situation got me the points I would have earned had it still been an HI plus bonuses applicable at the time.
Old May 11, 2010, 4:55 pm

I agree if you give the PC Service Centre a little nudge they will give you the points (+ bonuses).

The same thing has happened to me a couple of times in the UK & they credited the points (including bonuses) & qualifying nights without any problem.

I think I also aired concerns about the way the change had been communicated - which like the OP I had to find out for myself.
They gave me a couple of thousand points to "compensate for my disappointment".
Old May 11, 2010, 9:24 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
Similar situation 8 years ago.
I got the room and got the points after calling customer service.
I don't remember how long it took.
Old May 12, 2010, 1:04 am

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
not a problem

Happened me too. Booked HI but changed to Hilton Garden Inn when arrived. Points and bonus points were given to my PC account after I faxed PC the check-out bill.

The only difference is you don't get any PC elite treatments from the hotel, but I hardly doubt the hotel will give any even if it was still HI.
Old May 12, 2010, 4:45 pm

I had the same problem 1 year ago with a 2-4-1 rate at a holiday inn express in milan italy, when i logged in to my account to see my reservation a blank site appears without any information about my reservation.So I called priority member services to explain my situation(in mind I want to get my points and qualyfing nights) and they told me that the hotel had leave the chain but my reservation are still honored.At check inn I talked to a lady and she told me that only she guess the hotel had to leave the chain for another contract negoctations.At fin I got my points and nights credited correctly. But in your case you have to given at least an compensation in points for your custom in this company.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.