FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Points deducted 1 year 8 months after my stay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/997955-points-deducted-1-year-8-months-after-my-stay.html)

davidhii Sep 23, 2009 4:02 am

Points deducted 1 year 8 months after my stay

Has anybody experienced this? I saw a 2 nights deduction in my latest statement for a stay I made in 2007!

When I complained to PC, they requested me to show them my "break-down" bills of my hotel stay. Does any of you really keep your hotel bills for almost 2 years? How are we able to defend ourselves against these sort of charges?

MP (Miles+Points) Sep 23, 2009 4:43 am

This is very unreasonable, did they give you a good reason for deduction? Was it a mistake in first place?

PS. I do keep all my statement for 5 years, gas, electricity, bank, hotel, flight, etc, you name it. Sorry.

Shareholder Sep 23, 2009 5:46 am

Originally Posted by davidhii (Post 12423661)
Does any of you really keep your hotel bills for almost 2 years? How are we able to defend ourselves against these sort of charges?

Yes, for at least 5-years. And did you get points for a stay that you should not have two years ago? Audits of these programs do occur. You should be able to request a credit card statement from back then, and you should also expect to be able to request a copy of your folio from the property in question. As we go more and more paperless, companies are supposed to keep such records on file for a period of several years.

dizrythmia Sep 23, 2009 6:46 am

Oh wow! I'm bad about holding on to stuff, I usually shred bills within a month (I'll wait until I get the next bill so as to ensure there's no oddities). But I keep emails of all my reservations. It doesn't seem like such a thing would even be helpful in your case, but I agree with Shareholder. You should be able to request a statement from your cc company at least to see what went down then.

It is a bit ridiculous though that they're making you prove the error on their part was indeed their error. They should be able to give you a copy of your hotel bill.

MXM135 Sep 23, 2009 7:18 am

Originally Posted by davidhii (Post 12423661)
Has anybody experienced this? I saw a 2 nights deduction in my latest statement for a stay I made in 2007!

When I complained to PC, they requested me to show them my "break-down" bills of my hotel stay. Does any of you really keep your hotel bills for almost 2 years? How are we able to defend ourselves against these sort of charges?

Would you please clarify your post? :confused:

Was the adjustment to your account the removal of a 2 night qualifying stay and associated points, OR, did they deduct PC points from your account to pay for a 2-night reward stay in 2007, for which you did not pay? OR was it something else?

mxm135 :)

davidhii Sep 24, 2009 1:30 am

Wow, lots of response! Sorry for the late reply.

The adjustment is done to deduct PC points from my account to pay for a 2-night reward stay in 2007.

In fact, I recalled the Hotel actually offered me a opening discount rate that is very attractive. So I couldn't have redeemed it fully with my points. But I don't keep my hotel bills for that long. I am trying to dig out my old Credit Card bills.

Originally Posted by MXM135 (Post 12424204)
Would you please clarify your post? :confused:

Was the adjustment to your account the removal of a 2 night qualifying stay and associated points, OR, did they deduct PC points from your account to pay for a 2-night reward stay in 2007, for which you did not pay? OR was it something else?

davidhii Sep 24, 2009 1:33 am

They said that the hotel forgotten to deduct my points during my stay in 2007. They found out in August 2009 and decided to deduct my points. Obviously somebody in Holiday Inn made a mistake in the first place.

I agree its unreasonable. They should at least email me and checked if I really redeemed my points for that stay.

Originally Posted by MP (Miles+Points) (Post 12423728)
This is very unreasonable, did they give you a good reason for deduction? Was it a mistake in first place?

PS. I do keep all my statement for 5 years, gas, electricity, bank, hotel, flight, etc, you name it. Sorry.

davidhii Sep 24, 2009 1:38 am

I could not check if I got my points for my stay. Again my mistake for not saving statements. When I query online, its 180 days maximum.

I am trying to figure out which card did I charged it to. Since then I have cancelled a few cards.

Perhaps its a good idea to contact the hotel directly!

Originally Posted by Shareholder (Post 12423896)
Yes, for at least 5-years. And did you get points for a stay that you should not have two years ago? Audits of these programs do occur. You should be able to request a credit card statement from back then, and you should also expect to be able to request a copy of your folio from the property in question. As we go more and more paperless, companies are supposed to keep such records on file for a period of several years.

skeltonl Sep 24, 2009 1:53 am

Originally Posted by davidhii (Post 12429339)
I could not check if I got my points for my stay. Again my mistake for not saving statements. When I query online, its 180 days maximum.

I am trying to figure out which card did I charged it to. Since then I have cancelled a few cards.

Perhaps its a good idea to contact the hotel directly!

Just as a matter of interest what hotel was it?

davidhii Sep 24, 2009 2:02 am

Its Holiday Inn Melaka in Malaysia. It was just opened when we stayed there. Real nice hotel.

The mix up could be due to inexperienced staffs. In any case, the booking is made through the PC website. So it should have deducted the point in the first place.

Originally Posted by skeltonl (Post 12429365)
Just as a matter of interest what hotel was it?

blueslip Sep 24, 2009 2:11 am

Originally Posted by davidhii (Post 12429380)
Its Holiday Inn Melaka in Malaysia. It was just opened when we stayed there. Real nice hotel.

The mix up could be due to inexperienced staffs. In any case, the booking is made through the PC website. So it should have deducted the point in the first place.

I am not sure if the staff of Holiday Inn in Melaka did something wrong on their part. Knowing that this was booked via IHG as a hotel reward, their system should process this automatically. In fact, my points were immediately taken off from my account once the booking I made was complete. In your case, if you don't keep you statements for the last 5 years like me, try to ask for it from PC 1 month before you made the booking and 1 month after the booking was done to check if nothing was really taken out from your account. I am sure they can provide you this info for they were able to track down this inaccuracy way back in 2007. Good luck!

davidhii Sep 24, 2009 2:19 am

Good idea. They have been pretty quiet lately since my last email response to them.

Originally Posted by blueslip (Post 12429401)
I am not sure if the staff of Holiday Inn in Melaka did something wrong on their part. Knowing that this was booked via IHG as a hotel reward, their system should process this automatically. In fact, my points were immediately taken off from my account once the booking I made was complete. In your case, if you don't keep you statements for the last 5 years like me, try to ask for it from PC 1 month before you made the booking and 1 month after the booking was done to check if nothing was really taken out from your account. I am sure they can provide you this info for they were able to track down this inaccuracy way back in 2007. Good luck!

MXM135 Sep 24, 2009 5:02 am

davidhii,

The following link should be able to let you view your account transactions back to 2006. It has been posted many times in this forum. Hopefully, it will help you solve the riddle regarding your stay in 2007.

https://secure.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d...ansaction=4000

Good luck and hope it helps.

sobore Sep 24, 2009 5:47 am

Is is not a bit tacky / bad form for the hotel to claim points that far back? I would understand if it was a month’s stay or something of a greater magnitude.

Shareholder Sep 24, 2009 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by sobore (Post 12429854)
Is is not a bit tacky / bad form for the hotel to claim points that far back? I would understand if it was a month’s stay or something of a greater magnitude.

Is it a bit tacky for a bank to ask for payment of a loan you took out years ago? If the points were not removed at the time, they are still owed for the stay that was given. That's what audits are all about, they catch these things that drop through the cracks, the 1 out of 1 millionth transaction.