FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Points and Cash: New reward nights options Master Thread [merged] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/962039-points-cash-new-reward-nights-options-master-thread-merged.html)

yanxfann Jun 21, 2009 11:19 am

The PC AnyHotel/Anywhere cards were offered to US members at 50% off in late 2007. They are currently being offered to residents of Australia for 50% off. If US members want to roll the dice you could "buy" 30K via the cash-and-points reserve and cancel method for $180 and - if the 50% off does indeed come around - they could redeem 29.5K PC for a $250 US AnyHotel Anywhere card and turn a $70+ profit.

IC6A Jun 21, 2009 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Brendan (Post 11944196)
Sd, worse yet, some hotels rent rooms @ $80--100 but for some weird reason want 25K ppn :eek: ! So $60 + 15K would be the supreme idiocy! :D Plus the non-earning of points and stay/night credit!

I come to the same conclution last week when I was thinking of redeem one night in CP Singapore.

KathyWdrf Jun 21, 2009 6:00 pm

Of course, before redeeming points with ANY hotel program, you should check how much the lowest room rate would be for the dates involved. It's not so unusual for the redemption to be a lousy deal -- but then on the other hand, sometimes you can score an excellent deal with points. I always do this homework -- doesn't everyone? ;) (And usually compare several hotels in the area, in more than one chain....)

soitgoes Jun 21, 2009 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by IC6A (Post 11944941)
I come to the same conclution last week when I was thinking of redeem one night in CP Singapore.

PCR's virtue is its vice.
The 25K flat rate for all CPs can work to one's advantage, but you have to do the math before deciding to redeem. A $300/night CP costs the same as a $75/night CP.

Me2Earth Jun 21, 2009 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by yanxfann (Post 11944207)
The PC AnyHotel/Anywhere cards were offered to US members at 50% off in late 2007. They are currently being offered to residents of Australia for 50% off. If US members want to roll the dice you could "buy" 30K via the cash-and-points reserve and cancel method for $180 and - if the 50% off does indeed come around - they could redeem 29.5K PC for a $250 US AnyHotel Anywhere card and turn a $70+ profit.

Sounds good to me.

I can booked 6 nights, cancel it and turn around $140 profit + 1,000 points.

I've got like 1xx,xxx pts at the moment. I dont think PC will care about it and check my booking/buying history.

markdg Jun 22, 2009 4:19 am

Has anyone tried this with an IC recently? I've just tried it with London and Amsterdam for mid-Sept, and am only getting the 40k miles option - no option to purchase

Is it a date-based thing, I wonder, or have ICs been removed from the list?

EdV Jun 22, 2009 6:40 am

Originally Posted by markdg (Post 11947256)
Has anyone tried this with an IC recently? I've just tried it with London and Amsterdam for mid-Sept, and am only getting the 40k miles option - no option to purchase

I just made a booking at IC Baltimore and The Willard DC and both gave me the new points + cash option. Of course, the rates at both of them were so good that it didn't make sense to use points.

markdg Jun 22, 2009 7:06 am

Thanks EdV. How strange that I can't make it show like that for the two I was looking at it.

May I ask which route you booked please? Was it through www.intercontinental.com, or www.priorityclub.com (or another way)?

I'm a bit confused as to why I can no longer see that option for those properties.

Many thanks

EdV Jun 22, 2009 7:23 am

Originally Posted by markdg (Post 11947631)

That is what I used. Try one of the properties I mentioned to see if they work for you.

KathyWdrf Jun 22, 2009 7:25 am

Originally Posted by markdg (Post 11947256)

Is it a date-based thing, I wonder, or have ICs been removed from the list?

I see all three rewards options (points; points + $30; points + $60) for both those ICs in September.

I don't know why you aren't. Maybe it has something to do with the way you navigate the website. :confused:

markdg Jun 22, 2009 7:40 am

Thanks EdV and KathyWdrf. It does indeed seem to have something strange to do with my browsing

I went through the "redeem points" onto hotel nights, which seemed to put my browser into the american locale (dates were mm/dd/yy) and I had the option. However, with my browser giving me UK dates (dd/mm/yy) I was only given the 40k miles options - both for the Willard, and the Amstel

How strange. Thanks for the feedback though - I got there in the end!

wonderbret Jun 22, 2009 9:39 am

The one thing that I think people are overlooking with the Amex redemption is this: You could then use the Amex gift card at an IHG hotel, earn points, and with the right bonus codes possibly make this into a sort of "eternal free hotel stays" or close to it!
I am going to look into this but I am VERY jealous of everyone who has an OZ mailing address :D

rupert_s Jun 22, 2009 10:11 am

Originally Posted by wonderbret (Post 11948499)
The one thing that I think people are overlooking with the Amex redemption is this: You could then use the Amex gift card at an IHG hotel, earn points, and with the right bonus codes possibly make this into a sort of "eternal free hotel stays" or close to it!
I am going to look into this but I am VERY jealous of everyone who has an OZ mailing address :D

If you can use the Hotel Anywhere card to buy the extra points (on the cash element of points +cash), then you can have eternal free nights...before you even consider the points you get when you stay!

MrHalliday Jun 22, 2009 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by rupert_s (Post 11948675)
If you can use the Hotel Anywhere card to buy the extra points (on the cash element of points +cash), then you can have eternal free nights...

Well, can this card be used on the website?
It would be logical. Said Spock.:eek:

jpdx Jun 22, 2009 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by MrHalliday (Post 11951238)
Well, can this card be used on the website?
It would be logical. Said Spock.:eek:

It can't. I tried using an Anyhotel card from the DL Medallion Marketplace (same card issued by AMEX) to make a C&P reservation, and it didn't go through. The PC website probably isn't coded as a hotel.