FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Free Nights Promotion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/945364-free-nights-promotion.html)

g00ner Apr 28, 2009 1:17 am

This already being discussed in the following threads

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...promotion.html

and the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ad-2009-a.html

This is a duplicate thread.

bananacake Apr 28, 2009 1:55 am

irresistable

Originally Posted by gregorygrady (Post 11655193)
Fully agree with everything said here................well, I could probably disagree with the last underlined sentence, but fully agree with everything else. This promo and the way it is poorly implemented so far has me quite disturbed as well. :td: PC shows it's true colors as a second-rate organization by putting out crap like this without looking at it first. It I weren't such a Points Slut I wouldn't partake in the promo, but it's just too dang lucrative to stay away from unfortunately. :D ^

Ditto greg, this one is irresistable for the point slut

777 global mile hound Apr 28, 2009 2:11 am

Originally Posted by gregorygrady (Post 11655193)
Fully agree with everything said here................well, I could probably disagree with the last underlined sentence, but fully agree with everything else. This promo and the way it is poorly implemented so far has me quite disturbed as well. :td: PC shows it's true colors as a second-rate organization by putting out crap like this without looking at it first. It I weren't such a Points Slut I wouldn't partake in the promo, but it's just too dang lucrative to stay away from unfortunately. :D ^

Not sure why you think this is a bad idea but certainly be interested in your feedback
Do you think they don't read what we say here?
They would have to be blindfolded by pirates not to read what is posted

uk1 Apr 28, 2009 2:12 am

Originally Posted by gregorygrady (Post 11655217)
This is a VERY good point and something that I have been wondering myself over the past couple days. I somewhat doubt they can differentiate bookings made before and after registration for this promo (just based on past experience with them like you state). They obviously recently CAN differentiate based on the promo signup date as evidenced by the fact that you now must sign up for the promo before the stay (as compared to previously where you could register for a promo at anytime up until the stay actually posted to your PC acct).

I must say I'm also puzzled by this, but what I'm unable to rationalise is if they are unable to differentiate bookings made before they enroled what would be the advantage to IHG to pretend and say that they won't count?

I can see that they would hope those people would stick with points because giving away free nights for doing nothing would be cheaper, but then there would be wholesale upset when it starts to emerge that those members that enroled on free nights then started to get certs for bookings made before they enroled but for stays after they enroled. It would also further expose IHGs lack of sophisitacted systems which would give a degree of greater confidence to us points tarts in the future.

Wouldn't therefore the enrol first / book next mandate be self-defeating if it wasn't underpinned by a working IT policing system?

And will they be able to really cope with this:

#14 Qualifying Nights booked less than 48 hours prior to registration for this Promotion will count toward Free Nights earned.

demue Apr 28, 2009 3:14 am

What ticks off the most about this promo next to its poor implementation is that you cannot change the dates on your free nights. I know for sure that work commitments will creep up eventually and then I will have to chnage my plans and move private stays etc. In the current environment I can't really refuse a client such requests and then my earned nights are gone. This is the single point that renders this whole thing useless for me. I signed up for double points and that is that.

Most of my stays will go Hilton for the time being anyway where I will get some nice 9k BD miles for a 3 day stay in addition to my usual HHonors points.

Shareholder Apr 28, 2009 5:20 am

Though it does talk about booking after registering, if past experience proves anything it is actual stay dates not booking dates that trigger promos. This one will take some logistical consideration. I have about a dozen nights booked through the promo period, but since the max nights earned is 4 this means I will have four surplus nights that would not earn base/elite points. Would it be possible to register after four nights during the period had posted, then have the remaining 8 go to this promo? Or would any points earned on those stays be retroactively clawed back? And do other promos during the period like the Stay X Get X Bonus points still get nights credited to them even if base/elite points aren't earned?

The inflexibility of these special award nights is not a real concern to me, but these other issues are indeed perplexing.

wobbly wings Apr 28, 2009 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder (Post 11657066)
Though it does talk about booking after registering, if past experience proves anything it is actual stay dates not booking dates that trigger promos. This one will take some logistical consideration. I have about a dozen nights booked through the promo period, but since the max nights earned is 4 this means I will have four surplus nights that would not earn base/elite points. Would it be possible to register after four nights during the period had posted, then have the remaining 8 go to this promo?

I guess we're all in this precise situation. That is precisely what I'd planned to try and do. Even trickier to act upon with contiguous multiple bookings over a few weeks!

docklander Apr 28, 2009 5:31 am

Originally Posted by Kalboz (Post 11656410)
How the promotion works:

- Stay any two nights between 4 May and 3 July 2009 (the two nights do not have to be consecutive or at even at the same brand of hotel)

But i've got-in My Offer Status:

Stay any 2 nights, then get 1 night FREE. Earn up to 4 FREE nights from NOW until 3 July 2009.:confused:

unfrequentflyer Apr 28, 2009 5:39 am

I am not able to sign up for other promotions that runs till 7/31

uk1 Apr 28, 2009 5:55 am

I think what we're waiting for is someone who has some bookings made before enrolment for "free nights" to tell us if they trigger the cert once they have the stay posted!

soitgoes Apr 28, 2009 8:15 am

Originally Posted by docklander (Post 11657090)
But i've got-in My Offer Status:
Stay any 2 nights, then get 1 night FREE. Earn up to 4 FREE nights from NOW until 3 July 2009.:confused:

The terms are very clear that only stays starting May 4 will count. In fact, in my offer status you should also see " 04 May 2009 to 03 Jul 2009" listed in the Start Date/End Date column.

soitgoes Apr 28, 2009 8:20 am

Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer (Post 11657106)
I am not able to sign up for other promotions that runs till 7/31

Can you be more specific?

Originally Posted by uk1 (Post 11656655)
I must say I'm also puzzled by this, but what I'm unable to rationalise is if they are unable to differentiate bookings made before they enroled what would be the advantage to IHG to pretend and say that they won't count?
Wouldn't therefore the enrol first / book next mandate be self-defeating if it wasn't underpinned by a working IT policing system?

It is certainly possible it's a matter of one team coming up with the set of rules and a different team being charged with implementing them in their IT system.

I rebooked all of my reservations as I am not willing to risk it. The terms are clear on that point, and that's enough reason for me.

I just think it's awfully mean that, under the terms, reservations booked prior to 48 hours prior to promo registration that occur during the promo period after member registration would be eligible for neither Free Night credit or normal Base/Elite point credit. That's not very fair.

uk1 Apr 28, 2009 8:42 am

Originally Posted by soitgoes (Post 11657844)
I just think it's awfully mean that, under the terms, reservations booked prior to 48 hours prior to promo registration that occur during the promo period after member registration would be eligible for neither Free Night credit or normal Base/Elite point credit. That's not very fair.

Correct. It's also counter-productive as the people that IHG most want ie the most prolific travellers are savvy enough to split their stays across different hotel programmes.

mtbiker99 Apr 28, 2009 11:43 am

So, if I stay 8 consecutive nights at the same hotel, this would get me 4 free nights. If I booked these using the ‘senior discount’ rate, would I still get the 4 free nights? If I don’t, do I still get my regular points? All it says is 'qualifying rates' are most business and leisure rates. Or is senior rate classified as travel industry discount rate?

Originally Posted by .

15. Qualifying Rates are most business and leisure rates[/B
, including the hotel’s Advance Purchase Rate, Best Flexible Rate, worldwide sales negotiated rate, national/regional/local government rate and specified leisure rates as confirmed by IHG’s Holidex® Plus reservations systems. Qualifying Rates do not include net wholesale individual and group rates, certain package rates, employee discount rate, friends and family rate, crew rate, special discounted contract rates, seasonal worker rate, travel club discount rate, travel industry discount rate, distressed passenger rate, Priority Club Reward Nights/airline Hotel Reward rate, most rates booked through most third party web sites, complimentary hotel stays and any other rates not defined above as a Qualifying Rate.

soitgoes Apr 28, 2009 11:48 am

Originally Posted by mtbiker99 (Post 11659131)
So, if I stay 8 consecutive nights at the same hotel, this would get me 4 free nights. If I booked these using the ‘senior discount’ rate, would I still get the 4 free nights? If I don’t, do I still get my regular points? All it says is 'qualifying rates' are most business and leisure rates. Or is senior rate classified as travel industry discount rate?

My understanding is that "Qualifying rates" under the Free Nights Promotion are the same rates that would otherwise qualify for normal points.

I interpret travel industry discount rates as travel agent discounts, etc.