FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Crowne Plaza (LAX) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/874981-crowne-plaza-lax.html)

shaunlim Oct 10, 2008 9:54 pm

Crowne Plaza (LAX)

HI,

Won a bid at Crowne Plaza LAX for US$ 55/night, was expected a Courtyard Mariott.

Any reviews of the hotel and is it convenient to any shopping mall, public transport?

cheers,

cblaisd Oct 10, 2008 10:29 pm

Congratulations!

I'm going to move this from the Los Angeles forum to the appropriate hotel forum where you'll get the best answers.

cblaisd
Senior Moderator

htb Oct 11, 2008 12:26 am

Originally Posted by shaunlim (Post 10503017)
HI,

Won a bid at Crowne Plaza LAX for US$ 55/night, was expected a Courtyard Mariott.

Any reviews of the hotel and is it convenient to any shopping mall, public transport?

cheers,

I stayed there once for an overnight between flights in October 2007.

Free shuttle bus to the airport (less than 10 minutes) and a convenience store just down the street (5 minutes walking). Nothing else around that I would remember.

We got upgraded to the Club level with Club access (Platinum) which included breakfast, but since we had to leave at 5 am we couldn't take advantage of it. The room was rather normal.

HTB.

davidrnz Oct 11, 2008 1:01 am

No shopping mall.

If you want public transport, try this.

Free hotel shuttle to LAX, free LAX shuttle to Aviation Green Line Metro station. Five bucks (IIRC) for all day Metro pass.

Done it many times. :)

Roger Oct 11, 2008 1:42 am

Also a bus shuttle service to Manhattan Beach (ocean, shops, restaurants) sponsored by MB businesses. Used to be free, they now charge a couple of $$. (Times is 'ard.)

They call it a trolley or tram, but it's a bus.

uklad79 Oct 11, 2008 12:17 pm

Dirty rooms, crap service, no upgrades, over priced rooms, dirty small cold pool. Sums the place up.

speedster1978 Oct 11, 2008 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by uklad79 (Post 10505044)
Dirty rooms, crap service, no upgrades, over priced rooms, dirty small cold pool. Sums the place up.

Sounds like you loved it! :rolleyes:

Thumper Oct 12, 2008 6:16 am

Not far from 100% accurate.

At $55 you'll get your moneys worth.

Try staying at the HI up the road, you'll think this is the Taj Mahal.

Shuttle is fine, very close to entrance to LAX is the positive.

Dave Noble Oct 12, 2008 9:28 am

It may sum up an opinion, but not everyone's opinion.

I have stayed there and found it a pretty decent hotel and v conveniant for an overnight stop in LA

Dave

land31411 Oct 12, 2008 10:22 pm

It could be worse. You could have gotten CP Beverly Hills. :eek:
I never knew crap could be so pretentious until staying there one night.

Thumper Oct 13, 2008 7:01 am

Originally Posted by land31411 (Post 10510628)
It could be worse. You could have gotten CP Beverly Hills. :eek:
I never knew crap could be so pretentious until staying there one night.

Pretentious yes, but killer location.

Not only are you next to the most glamourous shopping in America, you are walking distance to Nathans Hotdogs!

Ah the tradeoffs we make.

land31411 Oct 13, 2008 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 10511740)
Pretentious yes, but killer location.

Not only are you next to the most glamourous shopping in America, you are walking distance to Nathans Hotdogs!

Ah the tradeoffs we make.

I prefer to get my Nate's when in NYC (or a Sabrett from a sidewalk cart ... bus and taxi exhaust adds to the experience)

Thumper Oct 13, 2008 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by land31411 (Post 10513085)
I prefer to get my Nate's when in NYC (or a Sabrett from a sidewalk cart ... bus and taxi exhaust adds to the experience)

The Nathans on Pico is Glatt Kosher.

Unlike it's NY namesake.

And neither Sabretts nor the one who claims to "answer to a higher authority" are.

Noelene Oct 13, 2008 5:00 pm

We stayed at CP LAX on saturday night.

Decided to eat in the restaurant .

Big mistake! At 8pm the salad bar was either old, or empty platters not replenished.
The soup was cold and just dregs.
And the dessert bar had scrappy bits of ickay cakes and a few cookies all replated on to 1 platter.

When I asked for the bill, it took 15 mins to arrive, then waited another 30 mins for the server to return with a pen. He never did, so we walked to the podium where they seat you, noone there either.

With bill in hand , we ordered a coffee from Starbucks, and I was going to wander up to the front desk , give them the bill and voice my concerns, when the server appeared running thinking I was trying to skip my bill.

I just looked at him in disgust and asked for a pen, he glanced down and became aware I did not tip him :p so I got a return look of disgust. :D

The next morning when we checked out the front desk was mega busy and the shuttle was waiting, so I guess I am going to email them now :rolleyes:

Q Shoe Guy Aug 20, 2010 8:06 pm

How things stay the same...

Supposedly undergoing renovation starting September !! My first room had some soiled panties in the dresser drawer:D and was very natty...my second room is a bit better though it smells stale. There was a little bottle of air freshener on the bed and earplugs in a hotel bag with a ribbon. The windows are the worst part and let in 80% of the airport and Century BLVD sounds(note earplugs). Rather sad that the people in headquarters think this is a 4* hotel. The Sheraton/Westin/Marriott are all better for about the same price!

Q Shoe Guy Aug 22, 2010 4:36 pm

Stay Report: LAX Crowne Plaza

Checked in and lines were long and the front desk was understaffed. Staff seem demoralized (was about to find out why). First room offered was 704, stayed 1 night in this room. While looking around for the safe (there aren't any?) found some underwear in the drawer of the dresser. Upon looking more closely the room itself was for the most part in disrepair. Carpets were stained and grimy, TV was very old. Bathroom fixtures were worn etc. The A.C. unit was noisy....which if shut off allowed more noise from the airport and street below in. Problem was that the windows were not thick enough to block the noise (this in comparison to stays at the Sheraton and Westin nearby a week and 2 weeks previous). Got up in the morning and went to the front desk and asked for another room. This room on a higher floor (1106) was more or less the same except that there was a bag with deodorizing spray, earplugs, and eye mask on the bed. The smell was that of an old smoking lounge.....Anyway stayed in this room and used the earplugs to block some of the sound from outside. To make a longer story short I checked out early.....Upon check-out the front desk asked why I was leaving.....I responded that I couldn't stand it anymore....they seemed to understand but offered no compensation of any sort ! This hotel is not worth even the $65 P.N. on a Priceline winning (losing?) bid !!!!! Do not stay here until it is completely gutted and brought up to 3* standards!

volkswankin Dec 17, 2010 1:19 pm

Just got back from a stay here and was shocked at how nice the room was. I had stayed here under a priceline rate a few months back and was given a dark, grimy, bad motel-esque room with really outdated furniture and bad plumbing.

This time I booked a flexible rate with best internet guarantee under my Gold status. I didn't get any benefits like lounge access or free breakfast, but the room was great, super clean, updated contemporary furniture and quiet. Wow, what a drastic difference! I would definitely stay here again if they give me a similar room.

nicolas75 Dec 18, 2010 2:40 am

We are excited to announce that we will begin our full room renovation this fall of 2010. This will include all new furniture, carpet, beds, high definition flat screen tv's, and new bathrooms. This project is so big we anticipate it will continue throughout 2011
Source: Priority Club

TYZ Jan 21, 2011 2:29 pm

Stayed there the middle of December and had one of the recently renovated rooms. Nice flat panel TV with a multitude of auxiliary inputs to hookup a laptop, phone, or I attached my PSP to watch a movie. Cool stuff.

volkswankin Mar 31, 2011 2:46 pm

Does anyone have recent experience getting access to the club lounge at this property as a Platinum? On another thread someone mentioned that they were given access to the lounge, but had to specifically ask for it at check-in.

IrisT Apr 5, 2011 7:04 am

Originally Posted by volkswankin (Post 16136850)
Does anyone have recent experience getting access to the club lounge at this property as a Platinum? On another thread someone mentioned that they were given access to the lounge, but had to specifically ask for it at check-in.

I have always received a club room upgrade at this hotel--even when I booked a low entertainment card rate of $65.

BarbiJKM Apr 8, 2011 10:00 am

Spent a night here last week -- all rooms have now been completely renovated, very modern-looking. That "new stuff" smell is still in the rooms (we were moved twice) from new carpets, paint, etc. I'm not a fan of the new decor, but I'm sure many will like it.

The hotel is now completely non-smoking and they do not make any convenient accomodation for smokers outside -- one must walk around a corner or down the block -- though the concierge whispered that smokers have been using the small landings at the stairwell exits (which are open-air) without any problem.

volkswankin Apr 19, 2011 3:20 pm

I just stayed here as Platinum on an advance purchase rate booked on priorityclub.com. They upgraded me to the executive floor (unfortunately that floor has not been updated yet), which obviously gave me access to the executive lounge. At check in I also received a voucher for a complimentary beverage of house wine, domestic beer, or any Starbucks coffee at the Brasserie Restaurant & Bar.

The executive lounge is small, but the host is fantastic. Wine and beer were both complimentary. They had a chicken pasta as the appetizer along with a vegetable platter and chips and salsa. The host was super friendly and attentive and even served me another drink even before I was done with my current one. My friend and I had a blast chatting with a couple on their way to Hawaii and watching the baseball game. I was so pleased with the service that I extended my stay for another night.

Shareholder Apr 19, 2011 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by IrisT (Post 16163113)
I have always received a club room upgrade at this hotel--even when I booked a low entertainment card rate of $65.

Don't recall Club upgrade last time I was hear last fall. Will be back late next month so hope my experience is less like QSG and more like that of the last couple of posters.

IrisT Apr 22, 2011 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder (Post 16247083)
Don't recall Club upgrade last time I was hear last fall. Will be back late next month so hope my experience is less like QSG and more like that of the last couple of posters.

I have stayed there three times, and there has always been a club floor with lounge. The last time I stayed there was more than 6 months ago though. If I recall correctly, there were snacks in the lounge and not complimentary (alcoholic) beverages, because I remember receiving a beverage coupon also, which I used at the main floor lounge. I never thought it was a very nice CP; however, it fit my needs at the time of my stays.

I see volkswankin has stayed there more recently than me, and received beer and wine in the lounge--sounds like a great improvement!

aks120 May 3, 2012 7:47 am

Just had a 1 night stay here before a flight. I was pretty pleased with the whole stay. The rooms were nicely decorated, bathrooms were new and clean. I got a free drink, internet and breakfast through a combination of my rate and by virtue of being Gold. Overall I would definately stay here again.

aks120

jvick125 May 15, 2012 12:30 pm

Do they charge for parking? How much? Have any platinums or golds had this waived for them?

Moranguinho Dec 7, 2012 1:12 pm

Are there any recent experiences, if there is still a club level upgrade for Platinums?

aks120 Feb 26, 2013 5:17 pm

I have just stayed here again as a Platinum Ambassador. Another great stay.

I was upgraded to the Executive floor - however it was the weekend and so it was closed but the rooms were lovely and we got to have the buffet breakfast, internet and 2 free drinks because I was Platinum.

The welcome was very friendly and I felt like a long lost friend, despite only staying here once before.

I have now stayed at the CP LAX, the CP Beverly Hills and the IC Century City within the last 3 months - with a car, I would pick the CP LAX over the other 2 without a doubt. It is far more modern and friendlier than the other 2.

A great option for Los Angeles.

aks120

PointsNmiles Feb 26, 2013 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by aks120 (Post 20322840)
I have just stayed here again as a Platinum Ambassador. Another great stay.

I was upgraded to the Executive floor - however it was the weekend and so it was closed but the rooms were lovely and we got to have the buffet breakfast, internet and 2 free drinks because I was Platinum.

The welcome was very friendly and I felt like a long lost friend, despite only staying here once before.

I have now stayed at the CP LAX, the CP Beverly Hills and the IC Century City within the last 3 months - with a car, I would pick the CP LAX over the other 2 without a doubt. It is far more modern and friendlier than the other 2.

A great option for Los Angeles.

aks120

I'll agree. As a Platinum, put on the top floor, good view, full access to lounge, pretty good food too! I felt well taken care of for a good price. One thing to note, I don't think the windows are very soundproof at all and the plane noise was extremely loud. For that, I would probably stay at a hotel further away from the airport.

Exleftseat Feb 26, 2013 7:51 pm

Stayed there recently and enjoyed the upgrade to Club level with access to the lounge. Great view, really decent food, good selection of drinks. Certainly looking forward to our next stay.

the_commish3 Feb 27, 2013 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by jvick125 (Post 18580216)
Do they charge for parking? How much? Have any platinums or golds had this waived for them?

I have received free breakfast, club upgrade and Internet during my stays but not free parking. The parking is not bad its 11 or 12 bucks a night and they cut you a break if you have a AAA card. The hotel also has Valet parking, I think it was 20 bucks if memory serves.

the_commish3 Feb 27, 2013 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT (Post 20323619)
Stayed there recently and enjoyed the upgrade to Club level with access to the lounge. Great view, really decent food, good selection of drinks. Certainly looking forward to our next stay.

Similar experience the hotel has a pretty good Sushi Bar, read some good reviews on yelp and decided to give it a try and it was pretty good. The breakfast is really good although a little pricey I like the Huevos Rancheros nice menu

ElmhurstNick May 7, 2013 4:45 pm

I've stayed there my last two trips to LA. The rate is generally solid even during the week. One thing I found is that the parking garage has both an in-and-out and a regular rate, and if you're going to just use the lot to park for less than 12 hours overnight it's better to just pay the regular rate.

If you're using a GPS, put in "5985 West 98th Street" instead of 5985 West Century, and it'll get you to the back entrance.

There's nothing fancy about the place, but the rooms are comfortable if a little on the small side. I wouldn't want to be there for a week, but for 1 or 2 nights it's fine. The only thing I dislike is the club area, it was extremely sad the morning I stopped in.

DJ Bitterbarn May 10, 2013 5:37 am

Quick question, as I'm planning on booking a layover here: Older (pre-reno) reviews suggest that it can get noisy and I just wonder if that's still the case, or has the noise situation been improved (considering, as well, that I've read to try and get something on the Century side as it's quieter)?

Hopefully it's less of an issue lately, as it's got that balance of near the airport and walking distance to the Big Blue Bus as it's been a while since I've been out to Santa Monica, so I'd prefer to not go back to the drawing board on this one.

Thumper May 11, 2013 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by DJ Bitterbarn (Post 20727823)
Quick question, as I'm planning on booking a layover here: Older (pre-reno) reviews suggest that it can get noisy and I just wonder if that's still the case, or has the noise situation been improved (considering, as well, that I've read to try and get something on the Century side as it's quieter)?

Hopefully it's less of an issue lately, as it's got that balance of near the airport and walking distance to the Big Blue Bus as it's been a while since I've been out to Santa Monica, so I'd prefer to not go back to the drawing board on this one.

Stayed there Wednesday night. Renovations have now moved to the lobby and registration desk.

Room seemed a little quieter than I remembered it, 16th floor facing car rentals. YMMV.

OskiBear May 13, 2013 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 20736423)
Stayed there Wednesday night. Renovations have now moved to the lobby and registration desk.

Room seemed a little quieter than I remembered it, 16th floor facing car rentals. YMMV.

Hey - me too!

What I did notice was the rather strong springs on the doors that caused room doors to slam very loudly all night long

DJ Bitterbarn May 14, 2013 5:37 am

Thanks for the replies, they.... help but don't completely get rid of my concerns. But we'll stick it out because it works well for our layover. Great to hear it's at least renovating, if they didn't over-engineer some parts!

stimpy May 14, 2013 8:26 am

Originally Posted by OskiBear (Post 20746995)
What I did notice was the rather strong springs on the doors that caused room doors to slam very loudly all night long

All hotels in the US do this now. It's a regulatory fire prevention thing.

That said, I stayed here a month or so ago and had zero noise issues. I was upgraded to Club and I think I was actually on the Club floor.

As for parking, I just dropped my car off at Avis before checking in, then Avis dropped me off at the hotel. I could have even walked it if I had to. In the morning I took the shuttle to LAX.

OskiBear May 14, 2013 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by DJ Bitterbarn (Post 20748112)
Thanks for the replies, they.... help but don't completely get rid of my concerns. But we'll stick it out because it works well for our layover. Great to hear it's at least renovating, if they didn't over-engineer some parts!

I stayed on a Park and Fly kind of deal. What's cool about this place is the hotel has a shuttle as does the parking structure (I think it's Aiport Center?).

You get double the options for going to/from the airport, potentially cutting down on the time.

On the way to the airport, I kept an on both and the hotel shuttle arrived first. However, on the return, I took the Airport Center shuttle.