FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   InterContinental San Francisco Mark Hopkins Master Thread - after January 01, 2008 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/550520-intercontinental-san-francisco-mark-hopkins-master-thread-after-january-01-2008-a.html)

EdV Mar 31, 2019 6:08 pm

Ah gotcha. As long as it’s Phatom and not the terrible sequel of Love Never Dies

TravelinSperry Feb 28, 2020 7:21 am

Used to love this property in SF. But they recently instituted a ridiculous $29 destination fee - full of crap (as usual). Makes the hotel less desirable imo.

King Chung Huang Mar 1, 2020 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry (Post 32122446)
Used to love this property in SF. But they recently instituted a ridiculous $29 destination fee - full of crap (as usual). Makes the hotel less desirable imo.

I really despise properties that add these sorts of fees. Is the IC on Howard is doing the same?

CMK10 Mar 5, 2020 9:12 am

Originally Posted by King Chung Huang (Post 32130638)
I really despise properties that add these sorts of fees. Is the IC on Howard is doing the same?

I hate them too. It does seem as of now the IC on Howard is not instituting one.

Trappy Mar 4, 2021 3:08 pm

Is there a Club Lounge at this proprty and if so any comments please

sfozrhfco Mar 5, 2021 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Trappy (Post 33077716)

The “lounge” is now just a room any hotel guest can enter to pick up take away food. Who knows if it will reopen as a lounge when COVID finally stops impacting travel.

rbAA Mar 5, 2021 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Trappy (Post 33077716)

The last time I stayed at the Mark Hopkins, I swore it would be the last time. The lounge was a large room near the reception at that time, but I haven't been back since. Nothing really special then either. I used to love the place in the 70's and 80's, but now I stay at the IC SF, which has a more convenient location, at least for me, and a great lounge, indoor and outdoor areas.

francophile Mar 7, 2021 1:47 pm

I went on the IHG website to check. It looks like they removed the destination fee. I checked for one night, 4 April. I'm guessing this is a temporary move similar to what some of the NY Hyatt properties are doing.

By the way, this is my favorite fun fact about this hotel:
Some hotels interpret the upgrade benefit to a suite or an executive room quite minimally — years ago the previous General Manager of the Mark Hopkins put a fax machine in a base level room, called it a ‘business room’ and claimed it met the requirements for an Executive room.

https://viewfromthewing.com/part-sui...nt-understand/

manymanymiles Mar 8, 2021 3:50 pm

This really a property for those with eclectic tastes! We have stayed here many times and will be again in a few weeks, for us the combination of location, property character and service we have received has worked well for us.

However I am sure at times it may end up closer to the 'FawltyTowers' experience ...

UKtravelbear Mar 8, 2021 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by manymanymiles (Post 33086592)

However I am sure at times it may end up closer to the 'FawltyTowers' experience ...

Wonder if they ever had a 'Mrs Richards' moment?

ARR72 Sep 14, 2021 10:06 pm

Has anyone stayed here recently & can confirm that the lounge has reopened, up and running etc. thanks

darby1970 Sep 15, 2021 7:56 pm

Club lounge open

Originally Posted by ARR72 (Post 33568635)
Has anyone stayed here recently & can confirm that the lounge has reopened, up and running etc. thanks

I stayed in early August and 1st floor club lounge was open for breakfast and evening canapés .
Table service for breakfast. Very attentive staff.
Top of the Mark also open .

darby1970 Sep 15, 2021 7:57 pm

Club lounge open

Originally Posted by ARR72 (Post 33568635)

I stayed in early August and 1st floor club lounge was open for breakfast and evening canapés .

nicolas75 Oct 20, 2021 12:38 am

Renovation by ForrestPerkins

https://forrestperkins.com/wp-conten...iving-area.jpghttps://forrestperkins.com/wp-conten...2698374953.jpg
Source

The Mileage Millionaire Oct 20, 2021 1:40 am

These are OLD model rooms

Originally Posted by nicolas75 (Post 33659362)

(...)
Source

These are OLD model rooms from many years ago. The hotel has maybe four rooms with this decor. Otherwise, this hotel has NOT been renovated. The staff is as incredible as always, but if you are expecting a room like the ones pictured above, you will almost certainly be disappointed with your room.

archstenton Nov 29, 2021 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by darby1970 (Post 33571383)

Just stayed there over the weekend.
Same situation
If they could somehow demo the Mark Hopkins and drop the IC SF on the old Site, probably be the best IC in America.

Not sure a lot do it, it's always empty, but I always do it, self park at Grace Cathedral, a block away.
Currently $38. You park the car. Always 20% full at best. Garage is spotless as a garage can be. Park on the 2nd level next to the double purple doors, car to sidewalk in less than a minute.

rbAA Nov 30, 2021 7:01 am

Originally Posted by archstenton (Post 33769445)
Just stayed there over the weekend.
Same situation
If they could somehow demo the Mark Hopkins and drop the IC SF on the old Site, probably be the best IC in America..

No, thanks. I prefer the IC SF right where it is.

ARR72 Dec 4, 2021 8:34 pm

Has anyone stayed on New Year’s Eve & can comment on whether the fireworks show can be heard from the hotel? I’d imagine if yes, it would be somewhat faint since the hotel is located a way’s away, but I’d appreciate any first hand experiences.

nufnuf77 Dec 25, 2021 11:59 am

Considering staying here or the IC SF - i ahve 22 hours in the city and have done all tourist things before. really just want somewhere nice to stay. - pros and cons?

Also do the suites come with club access?

rbAA Dec 26, 2021 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by nufnuf77 (Post 33842533)
Considering staying here or the IC SF - i ahve 22 hours in the city and have done all tourist things before. really just want somewhere nice to stay. - pros and cons?

This should come as no surprise to anyone on this forum, but the IC SF is the only choice. The MH is too inconvenient a location for walking or public transportation (except the expensive touristy cable car line.) Plus, I dislike the rooms, well most of them, at the Mark. My last two stays at the IC SF in Sept and Oct were excellent, even though not much of an UPG in the room, which was fine with me, as I've stayed in a variety of different rooms and each has something good: size, view, mainly high floors. The MH rooms are too funky and small, seldom with decent views.

With IHG/IC a suite doesn't guarantee Club/Lounge access unless you pay up. I loved the IC SF lounge and it's great F&B options, but I won't pay extra for it, as there are so many F&B options nearby.

IAN-UK Dec 27, 2021 3:56 am

If being stuck in a pretty much inaccessible position in an iconic but awkwardly out-dated hotel is your idea of a blissful 22 hours, then you have a room with your name on the door at the Mark Hopkins. Just keep your fingers crossed it's a renovated room.

On the other hand, you have the IC San Francisco. My exposure to US Intercontinentals isn't exhaustive, but so far this is the only one I'd look forward to returning to. As an RA I'd turn down the boxy suite they gave me (maybe it was one reserved for upgrades), and swap it for one of the large, bright and airy "executive" rooms; as a humble A I find i can get upgraded to that same room, so I'm happy.

On lounges, my MH stay was some time back, but the lounge seemed to be an odd afterthought: though of course the hotel has a pretty well-known bar....
The IC SF lounge was better in every aspect. Though I don't think lounge access come built-in to any room unless so designated. I could be wrong!

UKtravelbear Dec 28, 2021 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by ARR72 (Post 33785035)
Has anyone stayed on New Year’s Eve & can comment on whether the fireworks show can be heard from the hotel? I’d imagine if yes, it would be somewhat faint since the hotel is located a way’s away, but I’d appreciate any first hand experiences.

fireworks have been cancelled for this NYE

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...s-16734893.php

ARR72 Dec 28, 2021 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 33850980)
fireworks have been cancelled for this NYE

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...s-16734893.php

Well that worked out well for me, thank you

CMK10 Dec 31, 2021 11:50 am

Originally Posted by rbAA (Post 33845593)
This should come as no surprise to anyone on this forum, but the IC SF is the only choice. The MH is too inconvenient a location for walking or public transportation (except the expensive touristy cable car line.) Plus, I dislike the rooms, well most of them, at the Mark. My last two stays at the IC SF in Sept and Oct were excellent, even though not much of an UPG in the room, which was fine with me, as I've stayed in a variety of different rooms and each has something good: size, view, mainly high floors. The MH rooms are too funky and small, seldom with decent views.

With IHG/IC a suite doesn't guarantee Club/Lounge access unless you pay up. I loved the IC SF lounge and it's great F&B options, but I won't pay extra for it, as there are so many F&B options nearby.

I'd disagree that the IC is the only nice choice. The new Kimpton Alton is really good, though I happen to be a big Kimpton fan. Might be worth giving that one a try.

rbAA Dec 31, 2021 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 33858466)
I'd disagree that the IC is the only nice choice. The new Kimpton Alton is really good, though I happen to be a big Kimpton fan. Might be worth giving that one a try.

The pictures look nice, but a low rise (formerly part of the HI Fisherman's Wharf property.) Plus, it's in a very touristy part of SF, though the comedy clubs nearby would be convenient. And, parking would be a problem, as I usually stay at the IC SF on the weekends, and it's actually easy to get (some) free parking on the street, overnight and Sundays are free.

PUCCI GALORE Jan 1, 2022 5:46 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK (Post 33846043)
If being stuck in a pretty much inaccessible position in an iconic but awkwardly out-dated hotel is your idea of a blissful 22 hours, then you have a room with your name on the door at the Mark Hopkins. Just keep your fingers crossed it's a renovated room.

On the other hand, you have the IC San Francisco. My exposure to US Intercontinentals isn't exhaustive, but so far this is the only one I'd look forward to returning to. As an RA I'd turn down the boxy suite they gave me (maybe it was one reserved for upgrades), and swap it for one of the large, bright and airy "executive" rooms; as a humble A I find i can get upgraded to that same room, so I'm happy.

On lounges, my MH stay was some time back, but the lounge seemed to be an odd afterthought: though of course the hotel has a pretty well-known bar....
The IC SF lounge was better in every aspect. Though I don't think lounge access come built-in to any room unless so designated. I could be wrong!

I am of your opinion. The place is trading on its name. We were OK, but truly it was nothing special. You are spot on about its inaccessability however.

drewdawg199 Mar 9, 2022 3:13 pm

Not sure if anyone has stayed here recently, but wanted to note that they have restarted their resort fee:

Effective February 22, 2022, Nob Hill Destination Fee of $29 plus tax, per night, will be added to all applicable reservations. The fee includes a $10 daily dining credit in the Nob Hill Club restaurant, Top of the Mark preferred seating, local retail and dining savings, and complimentary electric car charging,

Does anyone know if the credit can be used at Top of the Mark, I already have a club room (paid $$ for it). Also don't have an electric car (or any car)...
Thanks

sfozrhfco Mar 9, 2022 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by drewdawg199 (Post 34062186)
Also don't have an electric car (or any car)...
Thanks

Tell them if they don't give you an electric car for your stay, you will decline paying the amenity fee:)

nicolas75 Mar 11, 2022 3:23 pm

Top of the Mark preferred seating

🙄

54austin Mar 30, 2022 7:34 pm

Just had another great 3-night stay here. We love the history and charm of the hotel. I will not deny that it needs refurbishment. Nevertheless, it is a great use of points, especially since points bookings are not levied the destination fee (at least we weren't for March 26-29, 2022).

Regardless of the room type booked, ask for a cathedral view room on a high floor at check-in. You might luck out with a view of the bay, GG Bridge, Alcatraz and, Grace Cathedral. Rooms are not large. Water pressure from the shower is excellent, but not from the sink.

Some other things to note: the Top of the Mark was closed on Sundays and Mondays when we were there and there was no room service. We didn't eat in the restaurants, but had drink coupons (as IHG Platinum) to burn, so we went to the restaurant (lounge?) just past reception. During previous stays, there was a red and white wine designated for the drink coupon. This time, the waiter said we could pick anything from the menu that was below $20. I don't know if he was extra flexible or this is the unwritten policy. FYI, there were no cocktails/liquor, only wine and beer on the drink menu, although he said he would make us something simple like a gin and tonic. YMMV.

FYI, Trader Joe's - where you can buy snacks, wine, liquor, etc - is a short walk down/up the hill on California S. Around the corner from TJ's is Bob's Donuts (the apple fritter is delicious).

s0ssos Mar 30, 2022 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco (Post 34062262)
Tell them if they don't give you an electric car for your stay, you will decline paying the amenity fee:)

Makes sense. Don't want to discriminate against people in SF. Why treat the losers who drive around in electric car wasting energy better than those who walk and take public transit?

Porch Mar 31, 2022 8:36 am

Not sure if anyone has stayed here recently, but wanted to note that they have restarted their resort fee:

Effective February 22, 2022, Nob Hill Destination Fee of $29 plus tax, per night, will be added to all applicable reservations. The fee includes a $10 daily dining credit in the Nob Hill Club restaurant, Top of the Mark preferred seating, local retail and dining savings, and complimentary electric car charging,

Does anyone know if the credit can be used at Top of the Mark, I already have a club room (paid $$ for it). Also don't have an electric car (or any car)...
Thanks

i just stayed there as a RA ,and had 2 rooms, and they didn't charge me a resort fee for either room. Mini bar was empty so i didnt get me $50 a day, however i didnt ask about it either.

Single_Flyer Nov 28, 2022 8:19 pm

Have most of the rooms now been renovated?

daruda Feb 27, 2023 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer (Post 34791835)
Have most of the rooms now been renovated?

any update?

sfozrhfco Feb 27, 2023 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by daruda (Post 35046983)
any update?

As of 2 weeks ago the building permit was not even approved yet. I wouldn’t expect any renovated rooms until year end at the earliest.

54austin Apr 7, 2023 7:24 pm

Just finished a 3-night stay. As always, the service here is very good. From the evening front desk to the friendly waitress at Top of the Rock to the housecleaning staff (especially Jenny). It's hard to beat the history, setting and charm of this hotel. It's a bit past its prime, but always a great place to return to. As Platinum, we received drink vouchers that we were able to redeem for martini's. Trader Joe's, Bob's Donuts and Swan Oyster Depot are all just a few blocks away.

HadesNL Apr 7, 2023 10:40 pm

Trader Joe's is an institution in itself !
I was just a carefree bachelor/student in SF back then and never got the hint of the ALDI-link
For those unfamiliar or NON-US: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trader_Joe%27s

And the old (s)nob hill joke ....

Chriscross Apr 18, 2023 11:33 am

Any recent experience with the club lounge? How does it compare to the other IC in San Francisco? (Which I found to be more than decent).

The Mileage Millionaire Apr 19, 2023 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Chriscross (Post 35181213)
Any recent experience with the club lounge? How does it compare to the other IC in San Francisco? (Which I found to be more than decent).

On our last stay at IC Mark Hopkins, March 14-15, breakfast was served a la carte in louge (6:30-10:00 or 11:00 AM), small evening spread/free booze in lounge (5:00-7:00 PM), awesome service as always! Last I checked the lounge at the IC San Francisco at 888 Howard St is still closed, so there is nothing to compare right now.

Admiral Ackbar Apr 20, 2023 3:42 am

Originally Posted by The Mileage Millionaire (Post 35184197)
On our last stay at IC Mark Hopkins, March 14-15, breakfast was served a la carte in louge (6:30-10:00 or 11:00 AM), small evening spread/free booze in lounge (5:00-7:00 PM), awesome service as always! Last I checked the lounge at the IC San Francisco at 888 Howard St is still closed, so there is nothing to compare right now.

The lounge on Howard has been open for the last year, at least! Went there in April 22 and December 22 and lounge open both times.

EDIT: Unless you mean the club has been closed for renovations/work at some point since Dec 22