FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   InterContinental San Francisco Mark Hopkins Master Thread - after January 01, 2008 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/550520-intercontinental-san-francisco-mark-hopkins-master-thread-after-january-01-2008-a.html)

TheBeerHunter Jun 25, 2012 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by MagicWok (Post 18818203)
We're staying here in a couple weeks for a few days - tried emailing to inquire about something for our anniversary but no real reply from the email addresses I found in this thread.

I did think about the IC SF instead, as it's getting better reviews recently, but the rate was a bit better here.

Just booked the standard room, so will be interesting to see what we do get in the end.

Did you try their standard email, [email protected]? That's always worked for me...

MagicWok Jun 25, 2012 7:24 pm

Yeah I used that one - didn't get a reply. Might be able to track down another email at some point.

Michael El Jul 28, 2012 12:28 pm

I stayed at the Mark this past Thursday night as I had a meeting there Friday morning. My res was for a standard room and I was upgraded to an Executive room as a PC Platinum member.

This hotel is absolutely beautiful and the staff is very helpful.

The Top of the Mark lounge had an incredible swing band playing Thursday night and the place was packed. Although foggy Friday morning, the view was amazing.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...c/VID00198.jpg

FLYGVA Jul 28, 2012 12:38 pm

Moderation Notice:

The thread was split up into an archive thread with older posts prior to January 01, 2008. This thread could be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ve-thread.html

We will decide later if another split would be due.

Thank you for your understanding

FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum

21H21J Jul 28, 2012 11:13 pm

Checked in today and am somewhat unimpressed. Was told at check in I had been "double upgraded" to a King Junior Suite from a King View Club room, having checked the rates both rooms are the same price, so not sure what the upgrade is, especially as the suite is on the 4th floor.

As for Ambassador benefits, so far no welcome gift and no fruit in the room although they did mention that the water would be complimentary:rolleyes:

Maid came to the room at 10pm to offer turn down service...

Also, no welcome letter and no free movie (appears there are no pay movies).

roadman3313 Jul 29, 2012 8:26 am

From my experience there with the rooms I would imagine the upgrade had to do with the size of the room. A Club room is 364 sq. ft. and includes club access in the price. A Jr. Suite is 551 sq. ft. but does not include club access.

It is considered to be a size upgrade, not a price upgrade. A good example of this is at the other IC in SF. An upgrade from a club room for an ambassador (I assume you are a gold/plat ambassador) is to a Jr. Suite. The Junior suite actually costs less than the club room but the Jr. Suite is larger in size so it is considered to be an upgrade as a Jr. Suite does not include club access.

As for the fruit and water, I have never personally had an issue with it at that property and they sometimes go above and beyond with the welcome in the room. Hopefully all was delivered in the end including your welcome letter :/

portishead Jul 29, 2012 12:06 pm

Full RA benefits on an award stay at this property

I used a Chase CC free night award here, and it was a nice stay...as an RA, rec'd upgrade to an Executive room, club access, and they honored free minibar, which our group took complete advantage of.

Some of the club hours were too short, the rooms are old, but still had a good sitting area, and the tv had an abundance of channels, including some HD channels. Surprised to see Japan news, Korean news, etc.

ctbjr1309 Aug 20, 2012 11:26 am

I have an upcoming 3 night stay at the Mark Hopkins. I booked a King Bed Executive Room for 2 nights using an Ambassador BOGO free weekend night certificate. I am using the free night from the Chase PC Visa card for the third night.

I asked the hotel via email to combine the reservations and in response received a call from the hotel this morning. Here's what I was told: My 2 "paid" nights were upgraded to a One BR Suite per standard RA protocol. I was offered the chance to pay $100 to upgrade the free night to the same One BR Suite. I also asked about Club access and was told that would cost an additional $60 per night for all 3 nights.

I'd appreciate any insight that anybody has as to whether what I was offered is consistent with the hotel's policies and prior practices. Reading through the various threads here, I was expecting Club access for no additional charge and was surprised at the $100 charge for upgrading the Chase free night room.

Thanks.

The Mileage Millionaire Aug 20, 2012 6:09 pm

RA's have free Club Access at this property. I suggest calling again.

ctbjr1309 Aug 20, 2012 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by The Mileage Millionaire (Post 19160880)
RA's have free Club Access at this property. I suggest calling again.

I will do so. Who do I ask for (position or title) when I call? Not sure who the proper person would be for this. Thanks.

The Mileage Millionaire Aug 21, 2012 6:19 am

Originally Posted by ctbjr1309 (Post 19161760)
I will do so. Who do I ask for (position or title) when I call? Not sure who the proper person would be for this. Thanks.

I would ask for Ana in the Club Lounge.

nicolas75 Nov 25, 2012 4:03 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19743323-post5983.html

lsed Dec 12, 2012 12:17 am

Ana in the club lounge is an amazing staff!

Just wondering, I am booked in the Nob Hill Suite but the hotel 'upgraded' me to the Cyril Magnin suite which is directly one floor higher and just slightly larger. But the price is about 10% cheaper for the upgraded room.

Is the Cyril Magnin suite really better? First world problem I know, but was just wondering that I should get the Luxury Suite which is 200 sq ft larger than the one I'm in - if I was really upgraded 1 category up?

MDtR-Chicago Feb 26, 2013 8:08 pm

Just stayed. Two things I learned:

There's no longer any in-room movies but there are a few cable movie channels. Not a great selection.

There's a municipal parking garage at Sutter and Stockton, four blocks away but down the hill. Arrive after 6pm and depart by 9am, and it's $1/hour. Thus overnight parking in that garage is no more than $15. A full 24 hours is capped at $34.

Land-of-Miles Feb 26, 2013 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago (Post 20323701)
Just stayed. Two things I learned:

There's no longer any in-room movies but there are a few cable movie channels. Not a great selection.

There's a municipal parking garage at Sutter and Stockton, four blocks away but down the hill. Arrive after 6pm and depart by 9am, and it's $1/hour. Thus overnight parking in that garage is no more than $15. A full 24 hours is capped at $34.

I was surprised about the lack of in-room movies when I stayed in early January. This is only the 2nd IC I have encountered with no in room movie option.

turner32 Feb 2, 2014 6:57 am

Does this property offer lounge access and all RA benefits even on award stays?

777 global mile hound Feb 2, 2014 7:41 pm

wrong property sorry
I thought it was the newer IC SF

roadman3313 Feb 2, 2014 9:09 pm

On my last stay a few weeks ago they did on New Year's Eve. As far as I can tell this is the normal practice. They also upgraded the room above and beyond. I can ask to be sure when I return there next week.

shawntobi Feb 3, 2014 11:14 am

Originally Posted by turner32 (Post 22270104)
Does this property offer lounge access and all RA benefits even on award stays?

Same GM.....same treatment at both. They are good!

iainallison Feb 22, 2014 11:15 pm

Lovely hotel - worth a stay

TheBeerHunter Feb 23, 2014 10:20 am

Originally Posted by iainallison (Post 22399826)
Lovely hotel - worth a stay

Indeed it is a nice hotel. And welcome to Flyertalk, iainallison! Or at least, welcome to posting :D

MsCapricorn Dec 4, 2014 12:48 pm

I've booked two nights In a deluxe room with the ITN promotion. I've been offered club access as an Estandby upgrade for $80 p/night - is it worth it for a single person?

FrenchLaundry Dec 4, 2014 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by MsCapricorn (Post 23942725)
I've booked two nights In a deluxe room with the ITN promotion. I've been offered club access as an Estandby upgrade for $80 p/night - is it worth it for a single person?

I don't find that particular lounge especially appealing, yet if you're travelling alone, and want to have a glass of wine or read a book in a public part of the hotel - the comfort may be worth it to you. Keep in mind that $160+tax could pay for a number of taxi rides or other treats.

Of course, "worth" is always a very subjective decision. Enjoy the trip!

sincera4565 Dec 20, 2014 10:14 am

Hi

I am planning to visit the MH during March and am tempting to purchase the Ambassador status as that will give me one free weekend night, which will pay itself.

I learned that the Ambassador status also provide guarantee upgrade (one category), and I am wondering if it is possible to get upgrade to the Club Level...? The reason is because that would give free breakfast for two of us.

If that is possible, does anyone know what will be the lower category that I should book to guarantee the upgrade to the club level?

TIA
-Pete

aussielori May 10, 2015 10:20 pm

any recent stays on award as RA. just wondering about club and upgrade.

NathanL104 May 13, 2015 7:17 am

I booked 3 nights here on 5/23-5/26. I used an AMB certificate to get a one-bedroom suite and booked a Whirlpool suite for the last night. Is there any chance of an upgrade for an ambassador to consolidate my stay into the better room? Better yet, maybe an upgrade on the last night (it's a higher category room) that would push my first two nights into a terrace suite?

I would at least like to stay in the same room (although not 100% necessary). Is it worth contacting the hotel and is there someone particular I could speak with to arrange it?

view-with-a-room May 13, 2015 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by NathanL104 (Post 24808425)
I booked 3 nights here on 5/23-5/26. I used an AMB certificate to get a one-bedroom suite and booked a Whirlpool suite for the last night. Is there any chance of an upgrade for an ambassador to consolidate my stay into the better room? Better yet, maybe an upgrade on the last night (it's a higher category room) that would push my first two nights into a terrace suite?

I would at least like to stay in the same room (although not 100% necessary). Is it worth contacting the hotel and is there someone particular I could speak with to arrange it?

Expect the whirlpool suite for the three night stay. The online status notes the upgrade prior to arrival. Two recent visits to the hotel and the staff are very professional and very willing to work to find a desirable room at check in.

Points Surfer May 15, 2015 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by NathanL104 (Post 24808425)

Just left there last weekend on the BOGO Cert for Sat/Sunday in a King Club room and Monday on 50K points but only upgraded to King Deluxe with no club access and a move on night 3. That was as a Plat Amb on a first time stay. IC relented at check-in to keep us in the same King Club room but no club access on the third night so I bought club access on standby upgrades in advance and leveraged later. Room tip - stay away from rooms beside the elevators, cable popping is terrible and will be a terrible sleep. Anyway, with much back and forth and given a noisy room they relented and in the end gave us an awesome upgrade to terrace Jacuzzi suite (for a fee) for all three nights but I had to buy club access on night three.

Since there is no IC Club lounge nor club floor anymore its complicated for IC to comp Club access as its not part of the hotel but a separate business called The Nob Hill Club with open paid admission ie $40 USD ea much like a VIP lounge at an Airport. Well worth it by the way with excellent food and quality drink. Plus can allow booked Club rooms to apply to any room in the hotel if they upgrade you.

Staff were eventually accommodating but have strict rules so work with them. Get the impression lots of RA's here and best rooms could be blocked for this purpose. Definitely call a front desk mgr and explain your situation....seems like a place where typical upgrade assumptions don't always apply. In the end I negotiated the ideal room but it took some work and $.

NathanL104 May 18, 2015 7:29 am

I just checked my reservation this morning and saw I was booked into a Whirlpool suite all 3 nights (Moved from one-bedroom suite I booked with an AMB certificate, and I booked a whirlpool suite the 3rd night).

Very excited about this stay--can you tell me anymore about the whirlpool suite vs. the terrace suite? The room description makes it look like there is a terrace in the whirlpool suite, but I can't find any pictures online.

roadman3313 May 18, 2015 10:15 pm

A Terrace Suite has a boxed in glass Terrace Area (that used to be an outdoor terrace back in the day) and is located on the corners of the building on the 15th floor. There is no outdoor Terrace Space per say, however the views are nice (I have stayed in all of them and each give a different view of the surrounding city area).

The Whirlpool Suite as I recall has a small outdoor terrace space that I think of more as a patio like setting. The door to the outside is normally locked, however sometimes it can be opened or is open with the room depending on the situation. I believe it is secured for safety (and liability) purposes.

From my experience (as an RA) the Guest Relations Staff and Front Office Manager were always very accommodating on the phone and by email (I stayed there about once a month or so for a year). I have stayed in most of the suites (or at least seen the insides of all of them) and have to say that they do try to accommodate when they can. I haven't stayed there since I downgraded back to Plat. AMB but I hope that your experience is just as nice, if not better, than the hospitality that was present when I have stayed in the past.

Points Surfer May 20, 2015 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by NathanL104 (Post 24832505)
I just checked my reservation this morning and saw I was booked into a Whirlpool suite all 3 nights (Moved from one-bedroom suite I booked with an AMB certificate, and I booked a whirlpool suite the 3rd night).

Very excited about this stay--can you tell me anymore about the whirlpool suite vs. the terrace suite? The room description makes it look like there is a terrace in the whirlpool suite, but I can't find any pictures online.

Good for you on locking in all 3 nights. Yah picture's limited on those rooms. If you got the Jacuzzi suite (Honeymoon suite) on the 16th that's a score.

...glad we got one of the 15th Flr corner terrace's. Suite we had was 1528 facing Mason...partial view of GGB and Alcatraz, and nice sunsets (less need to going to the Mark if you have the room for sunset views). They called it the King Deluxe Terrace Suite , 1050 sq ft, whirlpool tub in Bathroom, dining area. Very nice and likely a RA favorite. Terrace was amazing...marble floored and glassed in (non opening windows). Given the winds, likely rarely usable when it was open deck in the past. Interestingly some premium rooms like this appear to have a fast track to Top of the Mark as we got in super quick any time we called (was expecting long waits given reports)and twice on a very busy Saturday night with a live band and private function.

Ps...we had an amazing, memorable time there thanks to the IC front desk. Will stay no where else now when in SF. Even better, With the BOGO Cert and points is was practically free.

view-with-a-room May 20, 2015 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by roadman3313 (Post 24836535)
A Terrace Suite has a boxed in glass Terrace Area (that used to be an outdoor terrace back in the day) and is located on the corners of the building on the 15th floor. There is no outdoor Terrace Space per say, however the views are nice (I have stayed in all of them and each give a different view of the surrounding city area).

The Whirlpool Suite as I recall has a small outdoor terrace space that I think of more as a patio like setting. The door to the outside is normally locked, however sometimes it can be opened or is open with the room depending on the situation. I believe it is secured for safety (and liability) purposes.

From my experience (as an RA) the Guest Relations Staff and Front Office Manager were always very accommodating on the phone and by email (I stayed there about once a month or so for a year). I have stayed in most of the suites (or at least seen the insides of all of them) and have to say that they do try to accommodate when they can. I haven't stayed there since I downgraded back to Plat. AMB but I hope that your experience is just as nice, if not better, than the hospitality that was present when I have stayed in the past.

Frequency of stays is quite important at IC Mark Hopkins.

Genius1 May 23, 2015 10:34 am

I have just reviewed a three night stay at this property in my new trip report:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...irst-a380.html

patmcpsu Nov 24, 2015 11:27 pm

I just completed Friday-Sunday stay using a weekend BOGO voucher. As a Platinum Ambassador, I booked a "1 King Bed View" room and a few days before my arrival, I was upgraded to a "1 King Bed Executive" Room.

I checked in around 12:30pm and the room was available at that time. They automatically stock bottles of Evian water in the rooms for $7, but they are free for Ambassadors. The fruit, gift (a tin of dark chocolate), and additional water were delivered a few hours afterwards while I was out.

Some old FT posts mentioned that the executive rooms have an old fax machine but are located away from the elevators, while the junior suites lack the fax machine and are located next to the elevators. The hotel may have changed this arrangement. My executive room lacked a fax machine and was located next to the elevators. The elevators did make noise throughout the night, but it was not rickety or loud (think of the sound a skeeball makes while rolling up the ramp).

My room was located on the 10th floor, facing the northeast. It provided great views of the financial district, with slivers of the bay between the buildings and a beautiful sunrise.

A few other notes from my stay (applies to everyone, regardless of status):
* The complimentary shoe-shine service was convenient and quality.
* Top of the Mark was disappointing. The "360 degree view" actually only envelopes about 200 degrees of the club, and the majority of seating is away from the windows.
* While checking-out at 8am, I requested a taxi to the airport and they offered a Town Car for $55. A taxi wouldn't have been much cheaper, so it was a relatively affordable splurge.

Troopers Nov 30, 2015 3:17 pm

Stayed here last Friday for a quick one night staycation for the Union Square holiday festivities.

Received the usual goodies/upgrade as an ambassador. Was able to check in at 9:30am so that was a huge bonus.

illesus Feb 16, 2016 3:14 pm

$25 fee per kids for Lounge access?

Hi,

just checked in as a RA for 2 nights using points, they upgraded us to a king bed suite (1718). They asked for $25 per kid per stay (both below 10) for club access?
Is this normal? Lounge access is complementary with suites and I never had such an experience that the hotel asks for extra fee for the kids?

Thanks

scubaccr Feb 16, 2016 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by illesus (Post 26195459)
Hi,

just checked in as a RA for 2 nights using points, they upgraded us to a king bed suite (1718). They asked for $25 per kid per stay (both below 10) for club access?
Is this normal? Lounge access is complementary with suites and I never had such an experience that the hotel asks for extra fee for the kids?

Thanks

Complimentary for max 2person occupancy whether an Exec-Club room or a Presidential Suite is the norm every hotel.

us$25 each seems cheap to me, buying the kids sodas that they will consume in the inside the lounge would cost more. No doubt the kids will eat in Lounge too.

You are staying on points, hotel has been very generous, hotel did not need give you free Suite or Lounge Access so yes I think you should definitley pay for access beyond 2ppn even if extra persons are Kids.

Fredd Feb 17, 2016 6:40 am

Originally Posted by scubaccr (Post 26196955)
Complimentary for max 2person occupancy whether an Exec-Club room or a Presidential Suite is the norm every hotel.

Do you mean this is the norm for IC? We've stayed in upwards of a half dozen Hilton properties and one Marriott the past two summers with a 12-year-old grandchild and never been asked to pay for lounge access for the third person in our room.

I'd really like to know as we take our third grandchild to Europe next month and five more to go after that. :)

miadukes Feb 17, 2016 6:48 am

Originally Posted by scubaccr (Post 26196955)

us$25 each seems cheap to me, buying the kids sodas that they will consume in the inside the lounge would cost more. No doubt the kids will eat in Lounge too.

You are staying on points, hotel has been very generous, hotel did not need give you free Suite or Lounge Access so yes I think you should definitley pay for access beyond 2ppn even if extra persons are Kids.

Originally Posted by Fredd (Post 26198265)
Do you mean this is the norm for IC? We've stayed in upwards of a half dozen Hilton properties and one Marriott the past two summers with a 12-year-old grandchild and never been asked to pay for lounge access for the third person in our room.

I'd really like to know as we take our third grandchild to Europe next month and five more to go after that. :)

Not having any experience with IC and lounges but that seems petty to charge for 3 and 4 in a room. Lounge access should be for everyone in the room. HOw much soda can they consume to make up for $25. Either way, if I were PP with the grandchildren, I would stay at properties were this wasn't an issue either.

Troopers Feb 17, 2016 8:24 am

Originally Posted by illesus (Post 26195459)
Hi,

Thanks

Agree with scubaccr.

Enjoy SF, yesterday was gorgeous but stay dry today.