FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Ambassador renewal (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1880474-ambassador-renewal.html)

puchong Dec 1, 2017 5:52 pm

Ambassador renewal

Since we are now in December, I checked on the link in my IHG control panel to possibly renew my Ambassador membership. Nowhere does it indicate that renewal will result in a complimentary Ambassador Weekend certificate as in previous years. Has this benefit / feature been withdrawn for 2018 or am I missing something?

PayItForward Dec 3, 2017 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by puchong (Post 29124025)
Since we are now in December, I checked on the link in my IHG control panel to possibly renew my Ambassador membership. Nowhere does it indicate that renewal will result in a complimentary Ambassador Weekend certificate as in previous years. Has this benefit / feature been withdrawn for 2018 or am I missing something?

I renewed a few months back but nevertheless, current language suggest the BOGO Certificate is still available.
https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental...nd-certificate

TERMS AND CONDITIONS1. Only available to InterContinental Ambassador members.

2. Upon purchase and renewal of InterContinental® Ambassador status, an Ambassador "Complimentary Weekend Night Certificate" (the "Certificate") is awarded. Each Certificate is valid for 12 months from the date of issue and is redeemable in conjunction with a minimum two-night weekend stay when booking the Ambassador "Weekend rate" at any InterContinental Hotels & Resorts property (not valid at any other IHG® hotel brands). The Certificate is valid for one complimentary room night on the second night of a paid Ambassador "Weekend rate" booking and may only be booked online (www.intercontinental.com/AMBWeekend) or by contacting the Ambassador Service Center at [email protected]. The Certificate is not valid on any other rates or for suite bookings. Advance reservations required. Rooms on the Ambassador "Weekend rate" are subject to availability. The original Certificate must also be presented at time of check-in to the hotel or the hotel may decline the booking. One Certificate may be used per stay. Certificates are valid only for the member who has InterContinental Ambassador status, and are not transferable. Sale or barter of the Certificate will render it void. The Certificate is valid for room and tax only. Reward Nights do not apply in conjunction with the Certificate. Certificate cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotion or free night offer.

3. Please note that the reservation will show full rate on both nights during the online booking process. This will be adjusted by the hotel on check-in to reflect as complimentary on the second night only when member presents the original Certificate. "Weekend" is determined as follows: Friday, Saturday and Sunday, except in the Middle East where hotels may define the weekend as Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

chistery Dec 4, 2017 3:58 am

I renewed on Oct 23rd and the certificate came today. They've changed the packaging, no more luggage tags, but did come with a credit card holder.

How many points should I get if I renewed for $200? I thought it was 15k? Only got a voucher for 10k.

NavSTL Dec 5, 2017 4:12 am

Originally Posted by chistery (Post 29131920)
I renewed on Oct 23rd and the certificate came today. They've changed the packaging, no more luggage tags, but did come with a credit card holder.

How many points should I get if I renewed for $200? I thought it was 15k? Only got a voucher for 10k.

I believe it's 10k (that's what I got) but you get a pretty substantial rebate on points redemptions at the higher renewal rate, which stacks with the rebate from the Chase IHG Rewards card if you have it.

chistery Dec 5, 2017 8:48 am

Originally Posted by NavSTL (Post 29135991)
I believe it's 10k (that's what I got) but you get a pretty substantial rebate on points redemptions at the higher renewal rate, which stacks with the rebate from the Chase IHG Rewards card if you have it.

I googled a bit and 15k kept coming up. I phoned up and they said it was 15k, so they added my 10k voucher, and then added 5k more.

Maybe if someone is near renewal they can post a screenshot to confirm? This is from Dec 2016 and says 15k.

Cielito_ Dec 5, 2017 6:10 pm

renewed on 30-Nov for 200USD, 10% points cash back and 15,000 extra points.

chistery Dec 6, 2017 12:34 am

Originally Posted by Cielito_ (Post 29139067)
renewed on 30-Nov for 200USD, 10% points cash back and 15,000 extra points.

Thanks. I'm guessing you've not received the pack yet though, be interesting to see if they send you the right voucher.

Spitcool Dec 6, 2017 3:03 am

that's interesting, because when i click "renew" it just loops me back through 2-3 pages right to the landing page i initially clicked "renew" on. maybe they don't want me to? :)

NavSTL Dec 7, 2017 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Spitcool (Post 29140220)
that's interesting, because when i click "renew" it just loops me back through 2-3 pages right to the landing page i initially clicked "renew" on. maybe they don't want me to? :)

I've gotten this before and get it now. It only went through to the real renewal page when I was in the last month of the membership year.

Cielito_ Dec 7, 2017 3:42 am

Originally Posted by chistery (Post 29139941)
Thanks. I'm guessing you've not received the pack yet though, be interesting to see if they send you the right voucher.

No, I assume they well send the kit within 2 months.

Originally Posted by Spitcool (Post 29140220)

​​​
Renewal page will be enabled a few weeks before expiring.

steve1975l Dec 10, 2017 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by chistery (Post 29136772)
I googled a bit and 15k kept coming up. I phoned up and they said it was 15k, so they added my 10k voucher, and then added 5k more.

Maybe if someone is near renewal they can post a screenshot to confirm? This is from Dec 2016 and says 15k.

Sounds like you got the wrong pack. The cheaper 150 USD renewal option is 10k but the other 200 USD with 10% is 15k.

MikeFromTokyo Jun 27, 2018 10:42 am

I recall receiving an email to renew Ambassador status for 24,000 points. But now it looks like it has gone up to 40,000?

Does anyone have recent experience with renewing with points? What are your thoughts on valuation? I think at 40k I would probably be better off renewing for $150. However, at 24k the point option might be the better deal.

thunderlounge Jun 27, 2018 11:26 am

I would pay the $150.

If you were to buy 40k points (without any promotion or card benefit) it’s $400 for 40k points.

Earning 40k points would be equivalent to at least $1330 in spend at IHG properties, and that is if you’re a spire and have the card. (Or something close to that.)

sbiddle Jun 27, 2018 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 29912450)
I recall receiving an email to renew Ambassador status for 24,000 points. But now it looks like it has gone up to 40,000?

Does anyone have recent experience with renewing with points? What are your thoughts on valuation? I think at 40k I would probably be better off renewing for $150. However, at 24k the point option might be the better deal.

The price went up in January so presumably you got the email back then and didn't bother renewing then?

Mine expired in January and I got the email in early January advising of the 24,000 points to renew. A week or so after the price changed and the required number of points went to 40,000. There are a number of threads on here where people (including myself) discussed this. I simply sent them an email and they renewed mine for 24,000 points.

I certainly wouldn't expect them to do that 5 months later though..

MikeFromTokyo Jun 27, 2018 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 29913204)
The price went up in January so presumably you got the email back then and didn't bother renewing then?

Mine expired in January and I got the email in early January advising of the 24,000 points to renew. A week or so after the price changed and the required number of points went to 40,000. There are a number of threads on here where people (including myself) discussed this. I simply sent them an email and they renewed mine for 24,000 points.

I certainly wouldn't expect them to do that 5 months later though..

I must have conflated the email I got and no longer have with what I had read somewhere online.

Anyway, just renewed my Ambassador status for $150. I just got amazing treatment as an Ambassador member, and the 40k points can be valued at well over $200 in my opinion. Renewal was a no-brainer.

Super Mario Jun 27, 2018 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by thunderlounge (Post 29912653)
I would pay the $150.

If you were to buy 40k points (without any promotion or card benefit) it’s $400 for 40k points.

Earning 40k points would be equivalent to at least $1330 in spend at IHG properties, and that is if you’re a spire and have the card. (Or something close to that.)

I might go this route. The 24,000 points was a no-brainer last time, especially considering the 5,000 point bonus. 40,000 points can definitely net a room costing more than $150.

chrism20 Jun 27, 2018 3:53 pm

If you are intending to burn any amount of points over the next year the $200 option may also be worth considering as it comes with 10% rebate on all spent points as well as 15k bonus points.

I used to renew using points but last year I done the $200 option as I was intending to burn and got about 50k back over the year so in theory an extra night at a decent IC or very good CP.

This year with the points option going to 40k I felt it was a no brainer to go with the $200 option as I'm intending to spend through another wedge of the points I have left.

MikeFromTokyo Jun 28, 2018 12:18 pm

Deleted

Crofton138 Jul 26, 2018 6:34 am

I renewed on 1st July for $200 with 10% rebate and 15k bonus points. BOGO certificate just arrived today, 26th July.

Super Mario Aug 2, 2018 2:33 pm

So my status expires at the end of next month. I've gotten a bunch of messages trying to get me to renew. Question. I have a stay at an IC before it expires. If I was to renew, and choose a 10% rebate option, would I get the 10% rebate on that stay, or once my next year starts?

Bloobell Aug 5, 2018 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Super Mario (Post 30040810)
So my status expires at the end of next month. I've gotten a bunch of messages trying to get me to renew. Question. I have a stay at an IC before it expires. If I was to renew, and choose a 10% rebate option, would I get the 10% rebate on that stay, or once my next year starts?

I'm pretty sure as soon as you renew you'll get the benefits from that date. No harm trying if you're going to renew anyway

ninjalad Aug 5, 2018 4:28 pm

My Ambassador membership expires at the end of Sept. I am wondering whether to renew online as normal or do it at the IC Berlin when there from 5th Sept. I have suggestions to do this at a hotel but wondered what benefits there might be in it. I'll do the $200 renewal. I can't imagine getting an upgrade as senior suite is already showing and an upgrade to club suites is extremely rare from non club bookings.

Super Mario Aug 5, 2018 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Bloobell (Post 30049992)
I'm pretty sure as soon as you renew you'll get the benefits from that date. No harm trying if you're going to renew anyway

I was going to attempt to see if I could use the renewal upsell pitch to get club access in my upcoming stay.

ninjalad Aug 6, 2018 3:25 pm

I very much doubt that they will give you a club floor room , in my experience that only happens if they are overbooked in other rooms

saaveraward Aug 13, 2018 10:07 pm

What's the 10% rebate option? Same thing I'm getting with my original Chase card? Are they high wanting 40k for renewal? Can I get 5k points back every time I have to call for a water refresh because they forgot? If that was the case, they'd owe ME points.

Super Mario Aug 18, 2018 1:50 pm

Do you receive the 10x credit card bonus points for using the Premier card to pay the $200 renewal fee?

ARR72 Aug 18, 2018 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Super Mario (Post 30098034)
Do you receive the 10x credit card bonus points for using the Premier card to pay the $200 renewal fee?

Nope!

writetorich Aug 28, 2018 1:53 pm

For those who recently renewed using the $200--- 15K point option
could you be kind of to tell me how long it took for the 15,000 points to post ?

was it ridiculous like a paper certificate ( like the 5000 ) when you intially join or was it literally instantaneous?

Is it faster on the phone of doing it on line,where off shore can maually process the points.
How did you do your renewal?

chrism20 Aug 28, 2018 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by writetorich (Post 30140622)
could you be kind of to tell me how long it took for the 15,000 points to post ?

was it ridiculous like a paper certificate ( like the 5000 ) when you intially join or was it literally instantaneous?

Is it faster on the phone of doing it on line,where off shore can maually process the points.

I done the $200 option and the 15k points posted immediately. Renewal date was May

soitgoes Aug 28, 2018 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by saaveraward (Post 30079823)
What's the 10% rebate option? Same thing I'm getting with my original Chase card?

it stacks with the 10% chase credit card rebate.

Bloobell Aug 29, 2018 5:40 am

Originally Posted by writetorich (Post 30140622)

I did the $200 option in July and the 15k Points posted to my account as soon as the transaction cleared

barracuda93 Aug 29, 2018 10:45 am

Originally Posted by chrism20 (Post 29913765)
If you are intending to burn any amount of points over the next year the $200 option may also be worth considering as it comes with 10% rebate on all spent points as well as 15k bonus points.

Would I need to cancel and rebook all rewards bookings in order to get 10% points rebate? Or how does it work?

Yozza77 Aug 29, 2018 1:37 pm

If my Ambassador renewal was due to end 1 August 18 and I'm still being offered a last chance renewal 2 questions:
1) I guess my renewed Ambassador statues will end 31/7/19, not from the date I renewed?
2) Will the weekend certificate expire at the end of July 19, I'll most likely want to use it in mid - August 2019, so not sure wheted to renew or just sign up agin in a few months.
Thanks

Jaffar Aug 29, 2018 9:30 pm

Has anyone here renewed Ambassador for 40K points?

Did the Ambassador package include any points back (5K vouchers were included in the past)

Fanjet Aug 30, 2018 1:59 am

Originally Posted by chrism20 (Post 30140785)

I done the $200 option and the 15k points posted immediately. Renewal date was May

So, It's no longer a code included in the welcome letter that you have to go online to enter? It was done when the charge was processed? My renewal is due at the end of next month, and I was going to renew early this year because I wanted to have the 15K points posted by late September. But if this is now how it's being done, I'll wait. Because I tend to get a BOGO voucher that is valid through October (one time November) when I wait to the very end to renew.

alc Sep 11, 2018 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Jaffar (Post 30146339)
Has anyone here renewed Ambassador for 40K points?

Did the Ambassador package include any points back (5K vouchers were included in the past)

Just got my renewal package in the mail and no more 5K points :(

SLGO Sep 11, 2018 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by alc (Post 30193496)
Just got my renewal package in the mail and no more 5K points :(

Sorry for that. With the surge in renewal points/price and the inconsistent offerings for Amb among different ICs, I don’t think they’ll get my money this year.

demue Sep 12, 2018 12:11 am

I did a renewal about an hour ago and selected the $200 version due to a few planned redemptions plus the 15k extra points. The points posted immediately to my account and my AMB end date is also updated already. Worked surprisingly well, but still took screenshots to be safe.

Super Mario Sep 12, 2018 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by SLGO (Post 30194334)

Sorry for that. With the surge in renewal points/price and the inconsistent offerings for Amb among different ICs, I don’t think they’ll get my money this year.

Sorry to hear that. I believe most of those were the reasons why the changes were made. When it is too cheap, you get too many members, which does no favors to the benefits.

barracuda93 Sep 15, 2018 10:41 am

Renewal of Ambassador btw still extends current status for one more year (regardless of actual qualification)?