FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   New RA qualifying criteria based on IC Revenue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1772309-new-ra-qualifying-criteria-based-ic-revenue.html)

Tim O'Brien Jun 17, 2016 7:08 am

Originally Posted by scubaccr (Post 26785994)
Your maths understanding above is in my view is unrealistic and so far out of whack it beggars belief, very few RA's yearly hotel stay profiles will be 60nights-plus 100% at IC's.

Your view coloured as you are in the very fortunate position of being able to stay so much (all the time) in IC locations and also booking premium non entry level rooms. At the low end of RA qualification the opposite is true, less IC nights are possible, and those IC nights need to be at lower room categories in lower priced locations.

IHG still want to give top 1% of Ambassadors RA status, and your above $13-15k figures would decimate RA ranks including myself. Any revenue qualification bar will be set to keep RA numbers at 1% so you really need lto consider the low end of qualification for RA guest revenue amounts.

At the low end, a not insubstantial number of RAs do qualify with minimum mix of 20x $125-150 IC and 40x $80-120 non-IC ($2500-3000 + $3200-4800 ) equals minimum spend of RA in a $5700-7800 range.
(And it could well be done even cheaper 20x $100 IC's + 40x $60 HIE = $4400 only, by a real minority of RA's)

Maybe an RA just in top half RA by revenue would be 60/40/3 profile with a wider range of IC locations and rates , fleshed out with some cheaper CP/HI nights eg
20x $150, 10x $200, 10x $300 IC's and 20x $80-150 non-ICs, giving $8000 IC spend and $2000 non-IC spend.

My own IHG stay profile averages 80-100/30-35/6-8, eg 30night IC spend $10k (10x $150 = $1500, 10x $300 = $3000, 10x $550 = $5500 )
cheapest IC's Berlin, Budapest, Bucharest, Bangkok £100-£175 ($140-245)
medium IC's Singapore, London/Paris low season, £200-£300 ($280-420)
costly ICs HK, London, Amsterdam, Paris £300-£450 ($420-630)

Where IC is cheap, eg KUL/SIN/BKK , I book pricier club rooms. Paris-LG/London-PL I book mostly classic/superior rooms. I only make 30-35 IC nights as I will stay at IC's when on vacation or 3-4night weekend break trips to destinations like Budapest.

If you set revenue bar much above $8k IC spend, the number of RAs could likely be halved.

If bar of IC only revenue is set much above $10k then I will have to seriously consider dropping RA and not staying with IHG at all, and no way do I believe I fall into the bottom 25% by IC/IHG spend value of the 1% RA pool that IHG corporate can probably afford to lose.
Without RA I would switch stays to hotel chains where I will get lounge each night, Hilton, Marriott, so IHG will lose most of my usual IHG nights, both IC and non-IC chain

are you suggesting around USD7K? 46 nights @ c. USD175ADR?

Tim O'Brien Jun 17, 2016 7:12 am

Originally Posted by nicolas75 (Post 26788706)
Speculation is - I am afraid - a very common thing with Royal Ambassador status.

I do not see any relevant news telling us that things have changed.

what were your thoughts on their power point presentation, the PDF that was online that said they're phasing in a revenue model for RA?

Tim O'Brien Jun 17, 2016 7:19 am

Originally Posted by saint77 (Post 26791102)
I do not like the latest rumours, there are simply not enough ICs in the places I travel

after being an RA for the past 8 years or so, IHG will very likely lose 95% of my business if I fail to re-qualify strictly due to new revenue-based criteria

surely IHG must be aware of this risk and not be overly concerned about losing a few long-time RAs

don't disagree, in the other nights thread, i posted a copy of a letter i sent too Ruth Negus last year, requesting they consider a tandem criteria including nights or revenue, let's hope they've adopted something along those lines.

rbAA Jun 17, 2016 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles (Post 26788620)
$8k is way too low I can do that in less than 20 IC nights.

Of course, in China, you can do the 20 IC brand nights for between $2k and $4k.

nongsom Jun 17, 2016 10:00 pm

They may be add rev qualification for RA criteria.
Not totally change and give more chance for guest that stay fews night in high ADR IC.
Like Hilton/Accor/IHG Reward club ?

nicolas75 Jun 17, 2016 11:21 pm

"The Ambassador refresh":official news about change in (Royal) Ambassador status

More consistency
More revenue oriented
More InterContinental brand focused

The official news:
http://viewfromthewing.img.boardinga...Ambassador.pdf

Chinatrvl Jun 18, 2016 12:11 am

Interesting slide deck - probably wasn't intended for public :)

FLYGVA Jun 18, 2016 4:44 am

A note from us moderators:

We have merged the thread about the "leaked" presentation from IHG in this thread and also moved the posts from the older thread into this thread. The older thread is now closed.

As IHG removed the presentation from the original source, which was posted upthread and is now on one of the boardingarea blogs (posted and highlighted by nicolas75 above) we have also adjusted the links in the posts and added a wiki with the basic information and a link to the old thread.

A few posts have been deleted because due to the merger they were no longer needed.

Thank your very much for your cooperation and thank to all of you, who secured the document and the links to the new document ^

FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum

nicolas75 Jun 18, 2016 7:30 am

If we have a look at the figures, it shows that RAs today bring revenues of USD 5,800 per year, which is less than 25 nights per year at EUR 210 per night.

would it be even easier to be requalified RA?

Unterwegs Jun 18, 2016 8:11 am

I know of RAs which have more than 100 nights in ICs. Personally I spend around 45-55 nights per year in ICs and around 15-20 in the inferior brands.
My average spend should be around 180-200 US$ in ICs (lots of China, Vietnam and other cheaper Asian places). 7500 $ would be relatively easy, 10000 $ would be a stretch for my pattern.
One advantage of a IC only criteria would be that I don't need to stay at the inferior brands in cities without an IC any more to have enough nights for re-qualification. Overall IHG most likely would miss out at that revenue.

nicolas75 Jun 18, 2016 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Unterwegs (Post 26796151)
I know of RAs which have more than 100 nights in ICs. Personally I spend around 45-55 nights per year in ICs and around 15-20 in the inferior brands.

Same story

Overall IHG most likely would miss out at that revenue.

+1
Even if I have no problem to stay at other brands when there is no IC if hotel is comfortable and get nice benefits as RA (as I always do).

Tim O'Brien Jun 18, 2016 10:36 am

Originally Posted by nicolas75 (Post 26795202)
More consistency
More revenue oriented
More InterContinental brand focused

The official news:
http://viewfromthewing.img.boardinga...Ambassador.pdf

this was the PDF we posted in the RA nights thread last week, the Official News before John at Loyalty Lobby, and Gary over at View From The Wing?

the news broke in our thread.

Tim O'Brien Jun 18, 2016 5:42 pm

My average spend should be around 180-200 US$ in ICs (lots of China, Vietnam and other cheaper Asian places). 7500 $ would be relatively easy, 10000 $ would be a stretch for my pattern.
One advantage of a IC only criteria would be that I don't need to stay at the inferior brands in cities without an IC any more to have enough nights for re-qualification. Overall IHG most likely would miss out at that revenue.

i can't imagine it wld be any less than USD10K, if you average 50 IC nights @say USD180, 9K, plus ancillary spend, you'd have to be hitting c 10K wouldn't you?

i think it's a good move to be oriented all around the IC brand exclusively.

the lowest number of nights that i'm aware for top status in any hotel group is 50, they'd have to be looking for ADR of USD175-200.

whilst some in Asia, China in particular have lower price points, and corp rates, bring the ADR down, it's difficult to imagine any expectation less than USD175.

markis10 Jun 18, 2016 5:50 pm

Speaking to management at the IC I am at, one of the changes is the removal of club upgrades from the list of benefits, in a move to drive the ADR up for royals, leaving an upgrade to exec without lounge access or suite as the options.

MXM135 Jun 18, 2016 6:16 pm

I would consider that a deterioration of benefits. When the number of RAs was significantly reduced with the removal of the RA referral certificates, club access seemed to be offered more often at many IC hotels.

If IHG were to remove access to the club lounge as an RA benefit, I would reconsider my loyalty to IHG and significantly reduce the number of IC and IHG nights.

mxm135 :)