FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   IC Thalasso Bora Bora Master Thread [merged] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1161417-ic-thalasso-bora-bora-master-thread-merged.html)

thehaloboy Aug 26, 2007 12:27 am

Have just re done the figures, and its actually $490 AUD per person ($980 AUD!!!) for the dinner, based on exchange rates today... $1000 for a meal!!! Thats more than a Saphire OWB at the resort! haha

htb Aug 26, 2007 12:36 am

Originally Posted by thehaloboy (Post 8295204)
Have just re done the figures, and its actually $490 AUD per person ($980 AUD!!!) for the dinner, based on exchange rates today... $1000 for a meal!!! Thats more than a Saphire OWB at the resort! haha

Does this include the service charge and local taxes?

HTB.

thehaloboy Aug 26, 2007 6:43 am

Yes, that includes their stated 11% tax, thats all. So currently, $487 AUD per person. 3 months groceries for 1 meal... haha

DCF Aug 26, 2007 8:14 am

Sorry mate, I hadn't noticed that you're a Queenslander too.

I was being delicate because I thought you were American, and I might offend you. You've not got a snowball's chance in hell: these bloody dinners are arranged on purpose so that you can be done like a dinner. They know that the hotel will be full, and it's just money for old rope for them.

I know it's outrageous and I know that it's unfair. If you can get some kind of exemption in writing from Inter-Continental in advance then by all means use it.

But do not arrive there intending to contest it but without any kind of advance exemption because it will spoil your holiday, and it's not worth it.

thehaloboy Aug 26, 2007 9:44 am

Thanks for the advice... I honestly would not have an issue if I had been told first, and then could have chosen to spend my money on that hotel knowing I had a $1000 dinner to pay for...

Telling me AFTER i have paid is simply illegal. Even if they make us pay, we will not attend, so that I can dispute it on our return, and secondly, because my wife and I are vegetarian and dont drink alcohol... thats a lot of fruit for $1000 bucks... :)

Camino1 Aug 26, 2007 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by thehaloboy (Post 8296345)
Thanks for the advice... I honestly would not have an issue if I had been told first, and then could have chosen to spend my money on that hotel knowing I had a $1000 dinner to pay for...

Telling me AFTER i have paid is simply illegal. Even if they make us pay, we will not attend, so that I can dispute it on our return, and secondly, because my wife and I are vegetarian and dont drink alcohol... thats a lot of fruit for $1000 bucks... :)

I'm pulling for you. It's worth than "fine print"--it's no print at all and should not be permitted.

Dave Noble Aug 26, 2007 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by thehaloboy (Post 8296345)

You have been told, you received it in the confirmation and ( unless it is a prepaid stay) you have not yet paid. You can easily cancel the booking now if you do not want to pay for the dinner or contact customer relations and see if they will agree an exemption

If you decide to still stay with getting no agreement and dispute it on return, I suspect that you will just be out $1000

Dave

Camino1 Aug 26, 2007 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 8298988)
You have been told, you received it in the confirmation and ( unless it is a prepaid stay) you have not yet paid. You can easily cancel the booking now if you do not want to pay for the dinner or contact customer relations and see if they will agree an exemption

If you decide to still stay with getting no agreement and dispute it on return, I suspect that you will just be out $1000

Dave

That's what happened

bello Aug 26, 2007 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by thehaloboy (Post 8285952)
I am staying at the Thalasso, and have just been emailed by them telling me that I mist purchase a New Years Eve dinner on Dec 31.

I am obviously infuriated, as that particular night was already TWICE as $$$ as all the other nights we are staying there, and they are charging over $300USD per person (ex tax) for this meal and dinner experience.

Anyone else been told they must buy this?

I am an Ambassador, and not happy.

IMO they have clarified the conditions (better than finding out after you got there) so you now have only two options: 1.back out (shouldn't be a problem since not clear on booking) or 2.pay for the meal (hotel has a right to set conditions on special dates)

P.S. you also have every reason to be pi**ed!!!!

Dave Noble Aug 26, 2007 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Camino1 (Post 8299039)

If you contact Customer Relations and tell them the situation, you should be able to cancel without penalty

Dave

derpelikan Aug 26, 2007 8:39 pm

wait for the answer of IC

but, as you were not told at the time of booking i am sure you will get a written confirmation from IC that you dont have to attend or even pay.

and if you have to cancel i woul really ASK them for at least for the difference you have to pay if you book now another hotel . (they wont pay you cash but you can always ask for points :)

anyway, you will have to have an dinner anyway , so i would ask them for a special menu (vegetarian , at a better price ) if they wont let you back out of that.

dp

htb Aug 26, 2007 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by bello (Post 8299040)
IMO they have clarified the conditions (better than finding out after you got there) so you now have only two options: 1.back out (shouldn't be a problem since not clear on booking) or 2.pay for the meal (hotel has a right to set conditions on special dates)

P.S. you also have every reason to be pi**ed!!!!

They didn't "clarify" the conditions, they added new conditions. Therefore the third option the OP has is to insist that his contract be fullfilled with the original conditions.

If everyone in the hotel has to pay for the "gala dinner", why don't they just put it into the room rate?

HTB.

LiviLion Aug 27, 2007 4:34 am

This is outrageous.

There is no way you can be forced to pay for this meal as it was not mentioned when you booked.

The fact you have booked a non-flexible rate as well should work in your favour as you cannot now cancel or you will be out of pocket.

I am sure that the Amb customer relations team will be able to sort this for you.

If I was you I would get this resolved now and in your favour as well.

You have the T&C's for the reservation you made. The CC company will side with you I am sure.

Do let us know the outcome.

thehaloboy Aug 27, 2007 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 8298988)

Dave

A few points to clarify the whole things:

- I did not receive it in the confirmation, this was only after I asked for a few things as an Ambassador.

- I cannot cancel, it is pre paid.

- I cant ask for an exemption for something that hasnt been set forth to me. Nothing in the terms and conditions, nothing in my confirmation, absolutley nothing before I handed over the money. Just a note months down the track saying "Remember you MUST purchase the meal"

- I understand that other hotels (eg Le Meridian, Taho etc) all have the same dinner thing, they were all clearly mentioned when I looked at booking over New Years. I now cannot get rooms at other places I wanted, as I booked with the IC, not only because I love it there, but because they did NOT force a dinner. If anyone can even find a mention now, anywhere on their site, or anytime before payment if you try a dummy booking, I will have to relook at the situation.

Dave Noble Aug 27, 2007 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by thehaloboy (Post 8301355)
A few points to clarify the whole things:

- I did not receive it in the confirmation, this was only after I asked for a few things as an Ambassador.

- I cannot cancel, it is pre paid.

- I cant ask for an exemption for something that hasnt been set forth to me. Nothing in the terms and conditions, nothing in my confirmation, absolutley nothing before I handed over the money. Just a note months down the track saying "Remember you MUST purchase the meal"

- I understand that other hotels (eg Le Meridian, Taho etc) all have the same dinner thing, they were all clearly mentioned when I looked at booking over New Years. I now cannot get rooms at other places I wanted, as I booked with the IC, not only because I love it there, but because they did NOT force a dinner. If anyone can even find a mention now, anywhere on their site, or anytime before payment if you try a dummy booking, I will have to relook at the situation.

The hotel has no availability for that day to see what it says. Since you know about it, it would seem insane not to try and sort it out before you go, rather than risk being charged $1000 for meals you don't want and hoping that the credit card company will side with you if you dispute it. One phone call to IC would surely be better than 4 days of debate on a forum

Dave