FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   Compensation Question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/1979485-compensation-question.html)

Ryanardo_daVinci Jul 21, 2019 3:35 pm

Compensation Question

Arrrggh... I love FlyerTalk but it’s so hard to use.
I know there is a compensation clinic thread here somewhere, I’ve seen lots of links to it but can I find it now I need to use it?

I swear there isn’t really a search function, it’s more like a “I’m feeling lucky” search on Google.

Thank you in advance to whoever will move this to the correct place.

Anyway, onto my actual question:

Flight LAS->MAN landed 2 hrs, 52mins late due to aircraft availability, however disembarking was delayed by more than 10mins because the pilot stopped too far forward and the plane had to be hitched to a tug and pushed back.

Does that put it over three hours or are the rules very specifically the landing time?

Often1 Jul 21, 2019 4:29 pm

Presume that this was MT as it's the only carrier flying that route nonstop.

If I have that correct, at 3 hours, you are due EUR 300. Arrival is determined when the first passenger door is open and available for passenger offloading. If your timings are correct, you are due the delay compensation.

garykung Jul 21, 2019 4:36 pm

The problem is the airline will argue the exact time of arrival. Be prepared for it

Yoshi212 Jul 21, 2019 4:53 pm

For future situations, I have taken photos of me in my seat at landing, the gate and me when I get to the door so there is a timestamp recording the time to support my claim.

NewbieRunner Jul 21, 2019 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Ryanardo_daVinci (Post 31327500)
Arrrggh... I love FlyerTalk but it’s so hard to use.
I know there is a compensation clinic thread here somewhere, I’ve seen lots of links to it but can I find it now I need to use it?

I swear there isn’t really a search function, it’s more like a “I’m feeling lucky” search on Google.

Is this the thread you have in mind although for a different airline?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...61-2004-a.html

erik123 Jul 21, 2019 6:13 pm

Arrival times are at the gate - not landing. That's the time stamp they will use. You can check exact arrival times on several websites - and on expertflyer it will give you additional notes. If you give details someone here can look it up. If VS just look it up on the BA site. If Thomas Cook be prepared to fight.

FYI - If it was the VS flight yester it officially arrived at 11:14am so 3.14 late. But - on a long flight (over 3500 Kms) the delay has to be over 4 hrs to be eligible for full comp. My understanding is that your delay would be 50% if 600eu.

Often1 Jul 21, 2019 7:12 pm

Actually, the times shown on the websites drawing from commercial data such as EF are when the brakes are locked at the gate. That is considered "arrival" worldwide. But, the EU looks to the time the first cabin door is opened and available for passenger offloading. That might make a 30-second difference in some cases, but in others it could be longer.

Efrem Jul 21, 2019 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31327960)
Actually, the times shown on the websites drawing from commercial data such as EF are when the brakes are locked at the gate. That is considered "arrival" worldwide. But, the EU looks to the time the first cabin door is opened and available for passenger offloading. That might make a 30-second difference in some cases, but in others it could be longer.

This wouldn't happen in July in the northern hemisphere, but in really cold winter weather, on the first flight to arrive at a gate in the early morning, I have waited as much as half an hour for jetway wheels to be unfrozen so it could be moved into position. Much of the delay was the time it took to locate the unfreezing equipment and (at 5 am) someone who knew how to operate it, and get both of them to our gate.

Ryanardo_daVinci Jul 22, 2019 2:57 pm

Thanks all. I’ve submitted the claim, i’ll let you know how it goes.

Often1 Jul 22, 2019 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Efrem (Post 31328053)
This wouldn't happen in July in the northern hemisphere, but in really cold winter weather, on the first flight to arrive at a gate in the early morning, I have waited as much as half an hour for jetway wheels to be unfrozen so it could be moved into position. Much of the delay was the time it took to locate the unfreezing equipment and (at 5 am) someone who knew how to operate it, and get both of them to our gate.

I've waited plenty of times for a jetbridge driver to show up, for a trainee to maneuver the jetway, and for someone to open the door. Not worth the bother at a 2:30 delay, but at 2:55, those 5 minutes might take one over 3:00 (or 4:00 for the EUR 600).

Ryanardo_daVinci Jul 28, 2019 4:07 pm

Just to add a data point if helpful in the future, the compensation (€300) was awarded without question.

GeezerCouple Jul 29, 2019 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Ryanardo_daVinci (Post 31352267)
Just to add a data point if helpful in the future, the compensation (€300) was awarded without question.

Good to know. If only all such claims were handled so promptly, etc.
Thanks for reporting back.
That isn't done much of the time, so we don't get the collective knowledge/background/etc.

GC