Wiki Posts
Search

Advice Requested : Travel with Infant

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, SPG
Advice Requested : Travel with Infant

Hello, I am looking for advice on how to proceed with this predicament, and a bit of reality check really to know if I'm overreacting.

Traveling with spouse and infant in business class, SWISS in a few weeks, EX- Newark to Asia. Infant is ten months old so was told they would not provide bassinet (odd, but OK). Initially we were seated together but then 2 weeks later after I log in to check on reservation, I see our seats have been changed. Contact them, and I'm told Infant can only be seated with adult in 6K because of 'extra' oxygen masks. So I am in 6K with the infant, and my spouse and I are split with 6 rows between us, which is quite ridiculous (she's now in Row 12). Calls and emails to the contact center have gone no where and they refuse to budge with seat assignments. They did suggest however 'talking to other passengers' to exchange seats.

I can somewhat understand why infant can't be moved (6K, oxygen masks?), but a little frustrated when they say they can't move my wife closer to me either because the seats are unavailable or blocked for their Senator and HON members (I am Star Alliance Gold but not with LX/LH). I feel that the onus is on the airline to place us together, especially in business class, with an infant, when we are booked on the same itinerary. Business is not what I typically fly when paying out of pocket, but this time I wanted to treat my family to something nice.This adds to my frustration I suppose, I'm paying too much to have to deal with the stress of worrying about why we are not seated together.

Thoughts? Just let it go and get on board to see if I can exchange or try to resolve before I board? Do I have any recourse here?

Thank you
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no onus on LX to reseat either you or your wife. Whether your tickets are in the same PNR or not. Your status on some other undisclosed *A carrier is of no meaning to LX.

You may certainly ask the closest passenger whether he is willing to swap with your wife and thus avoid a crying baby for a lengthy flight, but seats that are blocked for elites tend to be more desireable and you should presume that the answer is "no".

You and your wife may, of course, swap periodically during the flight, so long as the infant remains in a seat with the extra O2 mask.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:02 pm

You did post that in two forums which is not in line with FT rules.
However, if you can and your itin allows that, try to rebook on LH. They are very generous regarding lap childs and bassinet. Their allowance is up to 83 cm and 14 kg without age restriction. LX is 11 kg and up to 8 month.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by red star
You did post that in two forums which is not in line with FT rules.
However, if you can and your itin allows that, try to rebook on LH. They are very generous regarding lap childs and bassinet. Their allowance is up to 83 cm and 14 kg without age restriction. LX is 11 kg and up to 8 month.
Thanks, this is in fact a LH ticket but the to journey is SWISS, return is LH. No problems on being seated together on LH the way back
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
There is no onus on LX to reseat either you or your wife. Whether your tickets are in the same PNR or not. Your status on some other undisclosed *A carrier is of no meaning to LX.

You may certainly ask the closest passenger whether he is willing to swap with your wife and thus avoid a crying baby for a lengthy flight, but seats that are blocked for elites tend to be more desireable and you should presume that the answer is "no".

You and your wife may, of course, swap periodically during the flight, so long as the infant remains in a seat with the extra O2 mask.
Thanks, I understand the conditions of carriage are such, Point A to Point B and they are not required to seat us in the same row or a row behind me but 6 rows behind for over 20 hours of flying seems a bit unaccommodating.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by slumb3r
Thanks, I understand the conditions of carriage are such, Point A to Point B and they are not required to seat us in the same row or a row behind me but 6 rows behind for over 20 hours of flying seems a bit unaccommodating.
Not to the SEN or HON who gets the primo seat.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by slumb3r
I can somewhat understand why infant can't be moved (6K, oxygen masks?), but a little frustrated when they say they can't move my wife closer to me either because the seats are unavailable or blocked for their Senator and HON members (I am Star Alliance Gold but not with LX/LH). I feel that the onus is on the airline to place us together, especially in business class, with an infant, when we are booked on the same itinerary. Business is not what I typically fly when paying out of pocket, but this time I wanted to treat my family to something nice.This adds to my frustration I suppose, I'm paying too much to have to deal with the stress of worrying about why we are not seated together.

Thoughts? Just let it go and get on board to see if I can exchange or try to resolve before I board? Do I have any recourse here?

Thank you
As Often1 says, there is neither 'onus' nor 'recourse'. Others have selected seats ahead of you, probably with M&M high status, so won't be forcibly moved to accommodate you. I understand it's frustrating, but it would be equally frustrating to the HON flyer if she was told that she was being moved to a less desirable seat because a couple wanted to sit together. You are on two overnight flights, so hopefully you'll all be asleep for much of it. Of course, you can nicely ask when you're in the cabin if the person next/close to you will swap with your wife. On balance, the thought of being next to an infant on a long overnight flight may be motivation enough.

Housekeeping note: I've alerted moderators to move this to the LX forum and remove your duplicate post there.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 5:18 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I'm assuming you are flying on A333 or A343 as seat 6K does not exist on the 77W.

6K is a bulkhead single window seat. 12G is one of the middle pairs of seats with direct aisle access. I think it's unlikely that someone in 6G will agree to move to 12G as there is more space for legs/feet in row 6. 7K (which happens to be my favourite seat) is one of the window seats usually blocked for SEN/HON. The best you can hope for is for someone in another G seat to agree to move to 12G so the two of you can be a little closer.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:50 am

You indicated you are paying for your seat. Personally I would get 3 economy or economy plus seats. Then your infant can fly safely in his or her car seat and the 3 of you can be together.

Odds are your baby is to big for the bassinet. You realize, if the seat belt sign is on, the baby must be in your lap! It may be a long uncomfortable trip, business seat or not.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:32 am

Just ask once on the plane - Many people will moved if asked politely. Otherwise don't sweat it. 6 rows is not too bad as only one parent can take care of the kid at any one time in any case.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:17 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
So the OP knows what the seat looks like this was taken from 6K. Unfortunately it doesnt' show the size of the footwell but it is much more spacious than the footwell for most other seats.

I don't have a photo of 6K itself but this is 4K, another bulkhead seat, in the small cabin immediately behind First Class.

And another K seat, probably 10K.

LX does not have premium economy.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Appears that my best chance at this point is going on board and look to see if any of the passengers will oblige to switch seats; As Londonelite pointed out the thought of sitting next to an infant could be a motivator for a few people...This is an A333 as Newbierunner guessed. In hindsight as awayIgo has pointed out perhaps 3 economy seats could have been the way to go, but the price differential was so minimal given I booked them last minute during peak season.

P.S. The contact center told me both legs, EWR ZUR, ZUR SIN, cabin was half empty, and they were not able to select a lot of seats not because they were chosen already by someone, but because they were priority seats. They asked that I try my luck at the check in counter as well.

Thank you all for your comments.

Last edited by slumb3r; Dec 4, 2018 at 8:33 pm
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I'm sure your seatmate will move to get away from baby. Relax.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I'm sure your seatmate will move to get away from baby. Relax.
If I had a seatmate would have been easy to scare them away with an infant :-) , issue is I'm in an individual seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.