Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Which Flight in First, TPA-SAN, regardless of carrier?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Flight in First, TPA-SAN, regardless of carrier?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 3:47 pm

I would take the AS non-stop. The flight times are great and AS has a very decent (nothing fancy but perfectly acceptable) F cabin.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat | UA Gld | DL Gld
As someone who has TPA as their home base and has elite status with AA with an upgrade rate to first so far at about 65%.

Even I'd go with DL out of ATL for first. Due to the fact I fly LAX - TPA at least once a year for the last 3 years and DL is the only nonstop option. With no status and it being 4+ hour flight I always do first and I find them very pleasant.

Good thing with TPA you're really a free agent so the nonstop on SW at that price mentioned is a good deal. Something I'd consider.

And I really don't understand why people are willing to drive to MCO for flights when TPA is a far superior airport. Yes, there can be cheaper international flights at MCO. I tend to book more out of MIA for those deals.
Knowing that when I land i'll have to drive another hour/90 min back...... or have an expensive uber kills it for me.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F
Originally Posted by enviroian
$580 per segment? Meaning $1160RT?
Yes, US Dollars. Separating this leg from my other 2 on this trip had no barring on price for any of them and they worked out well for me so that part is done.

Originally Posted by chicago747
I'm with the OP in the camp of flying first class 99% of the time. But for this specific flight, I'd probably book the 10am TPA-SAN nonstop on Southwest for $149. I'd pay the $20 for Early Bird and then get to the gate a bit early to see if there was any upgrades to the first 15 boarding spots to make sure I got an exit row.

My parents live in TPA and grandparents in SAN. I book for them to visit each other and there just aren't that many great options between the two cities. If you have to do first class, I'd choose the Alaska flight.
I love Southwest for short flights, however anything 2+hrs (basically any flight long enough to serve a meal) I prefer F. Even though I am tall it is the shoulder room/seat width which makes me move towards paying for F over just having an exit row. Southwest is great though and I like how the checked bags are included. Most of the time I have 1 with me when I travel.

Originally Posted by TXguy
Delta. There may be smaller meals, but they are better quality, and DL offers more amenities and better service overall.
I am considering this and will be back on the DL meal thread shortly

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I would go with DL for my personal preferences of having in-seat AVOD, power.....avoiding the CLT dump hub etc.
Other then the regional terminal I dont mind CLT, I would prefer as mentioned the in seat AVOD

Originally Posted by pinniped
I loved AS F when I first flew it about 5 years ago. Today, I consider it pretty average...maybe a touch below a recently-renovated cabin and a touch above a worn-out A321. I fly a lot of midcons on AS now and have had reasonably good luck with them.

With no allegiance at all, tne nonstop flight would have strong appeal for me. My little experience driving TPA to MCO many years ago was that it was an easy traffic-free shot. But you'd know better whether that's still true, whether rush hour comes into play, etc.
Yes, I used to live close to TPA now I have some driving to do but could be in MCO probably 30 mins more of driving, however the driving could involve a lot more traffic.

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
I would take the AS non-stop. The flight times are great and AS has a very decent (nothing fancy but perfectly acceptable) F cabin.
I noticed AS does not have ins eat AVOD but they mention having tablets to distribute on their site, can anyone chime in?

Originally Posted by PandaSoPink
As someone who has TPA as their home base and has elite status with AA with an upgrade rate to first so far at about 65%.

Even I'd go with DL out of ATL for first. Due to the fact I fly LAX - TPA at least once a year for the last 3 years and DL is the only nonstop option. With no status and it being 4+ hour flight I always do first and I find them very pleasant.

Good thing with TPA you're really a free agent so the nonstop on SW at that price mentioned is a good deal. Something I'd consider.

And I really don't understand why people are willing to drive to MCO for flights when TPA is a far superior airport. Yes, there can be cheaper international flights at MCO. I tend to book more out of MIA for those deals.
Knowing that when I land i'll have to drive another hour/90 min back...... or have an expensive uber kills it for me.
I appreciate the feedback, TPA is no longer super close to me currently so MCO is about 30 mins extra driving, although in much more traffic. If southwest had a first class seat upgrade like airtran used to (i was a big fan) I would consider them, but this is just too far for me.

Thanks again everyone! still considering I probably wont reserve until tonight or tomorrow.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Did you ever consider buying 2 seats on WN for the extra room?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bmw745ion19s
I noticed AS does not have ins eat AVOD but they mention having tablets to distribute on their site, can anyone chime in?
I know they've offered me a tablet in F but I've never used it. It's the same tablet they offer in Y for $10: F is offered it first and at no charge.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
The AS flight MCO to LAX is an ex Virgin America (VX) route (and I believe AS has announced a discontinue date).
If it's still listed as an Airbus, then it's an ex-VX plane. AS has started repainting the VX fleet, but seat mods don't start for another month or so (and will probably be slow moving). The F seat in the VX configuration is a sweet ride with angled lie flat seats and a small cabin. The seats have the old style 4 inch TV screens that fold out of the armrest. In the AS forum there's several complaints that AS isn't repairing these seats or the TV monitors since they will soon be replaced (with a configuration that is new to AS with 41" seat pitch and new design). I have not experienced any issues.

If the flight is a 737, then the route has swapped to an actual AS plane. No in seat entertainment, but as already mentioned, AS is good about passing out the portable players. The players are good and tablet sized, the main issue being where to place them during meal service. The cabin itself would be just a generic domestic F seat. Nothing special and really nothing to complain about.

On either aircraft type, the service will be be a small step "simpler" than AA or DL, but on average has a much better chance of being friendlier.

Between DL & AA, my personal preference would be DL. The past few years I've had too many operational issues on AA ... to the point that I usually will not book anything less than a 3 hour connection.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
How about flying via MIA - at least one MIA-LAX flight was on a 77W or 772 IIRC. Although I also seem to remember they price the premium cabin at a substantial "premium" on the wide bodies.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
How about flying via MIA - at least one MIA-LAX flight was on a 77W or 772 IIRC. Although I also seem to remember they price the premium cabin at a substantial "premium" on the wide bodies.
The extra connection, additional 3 hours of travel time, and having to deal with LAX and the Eagle's Nest would be reason enough for me to avoid that idea like that plague, 777 or not .
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Yea, if the driving difference between TPA and MCO is only 30 minutes, the nonstop is the way to go. Connections only invite potential pain.

TPA-MIA-LAX-SAN sounds like a long travel day even when things go right.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Between AA and DL in this case, I would go with DL.
I have status with AA but for a paid domestic first ticket, there are really no significant status advantages.

But, while I am 6' and have VERY wide shoulders, I'd still pick the Southwest NONSTOP ($140) plus early bird check in ($25) to guarantee an aisle seat in the front or exit row.
No question about it.
PandaSoPink likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by carlosdca
Between AA and DL in this case, I would go with DL.
I have status with AA but for a paid domestic first ticket, there are really no significant status advantages.

But, while I am 6' and have VERY wide shoulders, I'd still pick the Southwest NONSTOP ($140) plus early bird check in ($25) to guarantee an aisle seat in the front or exit row.
No question about it.
OP is looking for an F ticket... The nonstop would be out of MCO on AS.

If it were purely a Y vs Y comparison, even with the chance of an MCE seat as an AA Gold, I agree with you - I'd go WN nonstop every time.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As this is about comparing <all> airlines’ First class service TPA-SAN, we have moved this thread./Moderator
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F
Just wanted to follow up to my thread. I ended up doing the AA flight. It won out for a few reasons: 1) had an AA credit from a few months ago to use before I forget about it that took care of about half the fare lol 2) only about 30 mins more travel time then the DL flight 3) I realized some of my return segments dont have AVOD either so I will just go ahead and get a tablet and load a ton of movies on it, been knowing this was inevitable for a while.

Other big factors include me playing the AA hold game and saving $100 after this flight went up and I believe the DL flight went up $150.

Thank you for every one that chimed in

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.