Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Best 1st Class Awards Availability to Japan is...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best 1st Class Awards Availability to Japan is...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duke787
F is pretty obtainable to/from Japan as long as you are flexible.

JL tends to release at least 2 F seats at T-330 and then starts opening it back up again sometime within T-30. They also randomly at times seem to open the floodgates (booked our 2x NRT - ORD in JL F for our upcoming honeymoon sometime around T-9 months).

NH is a little more stingy but still usually feasible with some flexibility -- they have a lot of capacity with SEA showing up frequently (though I would avoid personally since to get from SEA - RDU typically means 2 more Y flights on UA).

OZ via ICN as mentioned also comes up often on UA.com as an option with either the A380 or now A359 to JFK or the 777 to ORD.

AS is the cheapest at 70k but hardest miles to obtain these days if you don't fly them (or aren't willing to buy during their frequent sales) -- though if you have a Marriott stash you could convert a TP to them while still available
Thanks for the great info Duke787!
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlightBOS
I was actually just able to book 3 F seats, RT on NH (US-TYO) today. So availability does exist! Trip is late spring of next year, long after the 330 day mark passed (though I suppose this is more JL than NH)...just happened to be open.
Hmm, that's very good to know! Yea, late Spring is way past 330 days mark. May I ask which airport you flying out of and where you did your search for the F's? Thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Building on this, i just read on a blog site the other day that NH has unusually opened up some F seats for next year from ORD and IAH.

Beyond that, KE might be a good bet. You can build miles in their program by signing up for their business and personal credit cards (complete with initial spending bonuses) and by transferring points from Chase UR. Be aware that KE's award redemption system is more complicated than most, but it's navigable once you figure it out.

Good luck!
Thanks Thunderroad! Yea I'll look into JL & NH as first options and have KE as backup!
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by TIGRIS23
Hmm, that's very good to know! Yea, late Spring is way past 330 days mark. May I ask which airport you flying out of and where you did your search for the F's? Thanks!
I was incredibly excited to find 3 F seats on the same flight...you really never see that. But NH actually had a ton of availability from ORD at the moment.

Easiest place to search is United's tool (https://www.united.com/ual/en/US/fli.../book-a-flight). Mark your dates as flexible, premium class (F / J as desired), direct flights only, and "all star alliance" flights. It'll give you the two month view and you just have to pick out where you see premium saver availability. Still seeing a ton of availability for 3F; that's the max, though. If you need 4, there are J seats available.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:06 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by TIGRIS23
I know it's tough in general to find awards availability for 2 J's or more to Japan (from U.S.), but just curious, has anyone ever booked 2 or more F seats from U.S. to Japan?? If so, which airline and how far off did you find availability. Any particular airlines that have the best F availability (2 or more seats) from U.S. to Japan (ok if including connections)?? Thanks!
Eight years ago I was able to get first class on AA ORD to NRT, business on Cathay to HKG, and then first on Cathay to SFO, connecting to AA in first for the last leg to ORD. 120K miles, I think and the exact seats priced out to $18,000 each. Definitely a nice deal!

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
My vote would be for the Star Alliance with United, Air Canada, and Asiana all having decent availability and sometimes ANA will be open as well.
Glad to hear this -- Mr. CE's father has a ton of Aeroplan miles and has offered to get us two tickets anywhere. We're thinking Japan but not sure he'd spring for a pair in business or first so may book one in business or first using his miles and another using Mr. CE's United miles. I'm a One World girl so the *A stuff is new to me.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlightBOS
I was incredibly excited to find 3 F seats on the same flight...you really never see that. But NH actually had a ton of availability from ORD at the moment.

Easiest place to search is United's tool (https://www.united.com/ual/en/US/fli.../book-a-flight). Mark your dates as flexible, premium class (F / J as desired), direct flights only, and "all star alliance" flights. It'll give you the two month view and you just have to pick out where you see premium saver availability. Still seeing a ton of availability for 3F; that's the max, though. If you need 4, there are J seats available.
Wow, that's awesome info! Thanks FlightBOS!!
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Asiana has tremendous availability via UA's website, using MileagePlus. We landed 2 premium cabin awards (outbound F LAX-ICN; all other segments J) at saver rates (110k each for the outbound with F; 80k each for the all-J return) for January - earlier today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.