FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   MIA-Europe-MIA late Aug busn award advice (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/1920580-mia-europe-mia-late-aug-busn-award-advice.html)

TravelPhotographer Jul 18, 2018 11:09 am

MIA-Europe-MIA late Aug busn award advice

what low fees low taxes European cities often have (2) busn award availability?
hoping experts with existing knowledge might advise & point me in right direction;
not expecting others to do searching for me... thanks in advance! :-: :-: :-: my miles:

42,066 AAdvantage
355,232 AAdvantage -wife
142,110 BA Avios
32,501 BA Avios wife
10,045 Lufthansa
517 Frontier
55,507 Southwest
52,000 Southwest wife
238,235 Delta Skymiles
~145K Delta Skymiles wife
100,504 United expires 10/18
~50K USAirways --> AA wife

Yoshi212 Jul 18, 2018 12:10 pm

Your wife has ~50k us airways miles? How?

TravelPhotographer Jul 18, 2018 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Yoshi212 (Post 29987852)
Your wife has ~50k us airways miles? How?

Why?

Yoshi212 Jul 18, 2018 7:06 pm

Because US Airways hasn't existed in about 3 years.

Originally Posted by TravelPhotographer (Post 29989173)
Why?

I'd look at MAD for availability. Both AA & IB fly there and via trains you can get all around Spain, Portugal or even France.

JDiver Jul 19, 2018 7:26 am

Originally Posted by TravelPhotographer (Post 29989173)
Why?

I suspect you’d better go back and check those miles. US Airways Dividend Miles miles were merged into American Airlines AAdvantage accounts in 2015.

If your wife did that, then the AAdvantage account would reflect those added to her AA miles. If she didn't... there is no Dividend Miles Program, and she’d have to contact AA to see if she can still move those miles into AAdvantage.

See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...fp-2014-a.html.

TravelPhotographer Jul 19, 2018 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Yoshi212 (Post 29989231)
...look at MAD for availability. Both AA & IB fly there and via trains you can get all around Spain, Portugal or even France.

Thanks. Would probably train to Barcelona because we've done LIS & MAD since 2015.
Any clear second or third choices when it comes to availability & fees-taxes?
Has anyone created FlyerTalk single ongoing thread, something like,
"Current Most Often Available Business Award Seats With Low Fees-taxes?" ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

84fiero Jul 19, 2018 10:29 am

Originally Posted by TravelPhotographer (Post 29987601)
what low fees low taxes European cities often have (2) busn award availability?
hoping experts with existing knowledge might advise & point me in right direction;
not expecting others to do searching for me... thanks in advance! :-: :-: :-: my miles:

42,066 AAdvantage
355,232 AAdvantage -wife
142,110 BA Avios
32,501 BA Avios wife
10,045 Lufthansa
517 Frontier
55,507 Southwest
52,000 Southwest wife
238,235 Delta Skymiles
~145K Delta Skymiles wife
100,504 United expires 10/18
~50K USAirways --> AA wife

From what US city are you departing?

WN miles won't do anything for you to Europe directly, except if you need a positioning flight to get between home and an arrival/departure point in the US (which can be important).

Airport taxes/fees are one thing and then you have "carrier surcharges" to consider - those are levied in some situations and not others depending on the program and/or carrier(s) involved, so it depends not just on the route but on carrier and FFP parameters. Availability is ever-changing so it's not so easy to have a fixed list.

BA metal flights will attract substantial carrier surcharges whether redeeming with AA or BA currencies for example. Departures from the UK will generally incur hefty APD fees. Your best bet is really to just search around for what's out there with the applicable programs. For programs like AA with "aanytime" or "standard" award levels, you can still use those results to see what the taxes and fees would be - as the cash component would be the same even if you found "saver" award levels.

TravelPhotographer Jul 19, 2018 11:32 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero (Post 29991262)
a. From what US city are you departing?
b. Airport taxes/fees are one thing and then you have "carrier surcharges"

a. "MIA-Europe-MIA" in thread headline
b. by "fees", I meant all charges in addition to taxes

Am hoping those with existing knowledge (no searching needed) can point me in right direction.
For example, MAD suggested as easiest availability, lowest fees-taxes...?
Anyone already know what might be #2 , #3 ...? Thanks.@:-) @:-) @:-)

TravelPhotographer Jul 20, 2018 11:10 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 29990676)
US Airways Dividend Miles miles were merged into American Airlines AAdvantage accounts in 2015.

Yes, that's why OP states:
"~50K USAirways --> AA wife"

guv1976 Jul 20, 2018 11:23 am

Originally Posted by TravelPhotographer (Post 29995230)
Yes, that's why OP states:
"~50K USAirways --> AA wife"

Does your wife have two separate AA accounts? If so, I'm pretty sure that that's against AA's rules -- and could cause a host of problems re: miles expiration and ability to book an award that costs more than 50K AA miles. Upon request, AA will probably combine the two accounts into one for your wife.

If she only has one AA account, I don't see the point of listing the former US miles separately.

TravelPhotographer Jul 20, 2018 5:55 pm

It was probably a 2015 note to self of pending action.
Over time, action forgotten.

Have booked AA MIA-LHR busn rt non-stops as the taxes-fees
seemed relatively reasonable at $590 total for 2. Expanded
to 16 nights to blunt aka $590/16...
Looks like DUB would save $400 before DUB-LHR arrangements-costs
but considering added travel time, etc., separate trip to DUB in future...

guv1976 Jul 20, 2018 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by TravelPhotographer (Post 29996450)
It was probably a 2015 note to self of pending action.
Over time, action forgotten.

Have booked AA MIA-LHR busn rt non-stops as the taxes-fees
seemed relatively reasonable at $590 total for 2. Expanded
to 16 nights to blunt aka $590/16...
Looks like DUB would save $400 before DUB-LHR arrangements-costs
but considering added travel time, etc., separate trip to DUB in future...

:confused:

Why not just fly into LHR, and home from DUB?

BA LON-DUB one-way is just 4,500 Avios (or less) pp + ~ $27 USD, as a Reward Flight Saver.

84fiero Jul 21, 2018 7:56 am

Originally Posted by TravelPhotographer (Post 29991492)
a. "MIA-Europe-MIA" in thread headline
b. by "fees", I meant all charges in addition to taxes

Am hoping those with existing knowledge (no searching needed) can point me in right direction.
For example, MAD suggested as easiest availability, lowest fees-taxes...?
Anyone already know what might be #2 , #3 ...? Thanks.@:-) @:-) @:-)

Apologies, the departure airport wasn't mentioned in your OP text itself, which is what I was reading from when I had a chance to type my post after several interruptions and I didn't recall what the post title said. If you were aware of and including carrier surcharges and fees, then it isn't clear why your post only inquired about cities with the lowest fees/taxes. Where YQ and similar are applied, they can often be a much greater consideration than departure fees and taxes. Just trying to help you out.

You keep saying that you don't want others to do the searching for you, but that seems to be what you're asking for. What searching have you done yourself? We all have our personal knowledge from our experiences but without some effort I doubt anyone can give a rank order as you've requested above. For one thing, as I pointed out, it depends on what program you're redeeming from as well as the choice of carrier. And as far as availability, that is again something you can readily find out yourself from searching on your own in addition to tips from here.

I would add that the advice and tips you received to an almost verbatim query in May on the AA forum still apply, to AA and generally to the other programs & their websites as well.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29739231-post1162.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29748283-post1175.html