FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   Best way to fly YYZ to LON on points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/1910516-best-way-fly-yyz-lon-points.html)

CPR85 May 22, 2018 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by rstruthe (Post 29783780)
I would start by looking at AA availability connecting through NY, or ORD. If you can find availability then transferring to AAdvantage is probably the best use of the points. Redemption rates and surcharges on AA are pretty decent. If no availability the. I would look at Avios availability, surcharges will be high as they generally route through LHR, but if your going to fly J, then it can still be worth it. I travel almost exclusively on RBc points and found decent ways to get to LON a few times last year. If your willing to go Hand baggage only or do another hop look at flying to AMS or DUB to reduce the surcharges.

Yeah it looks like I could do AA from FRA to NY and then NY to YYZ. Would AM or AA program be better for this?

Ideally the YYZ to LON would be direct but I'd have to find out the cost different. I've had a hard time getting quotes with the AVIOS site for points costs.

guv1976 May 22, 2018 8:25 pm

If AA has SAAver space for FRA-NYC-YYZ, then I suspect that redeeming 57.5K AA miles per ticket with no surcharges would be your best deal.

For YYZ-LON via a connection somewhere, I would search united.com for Saver space on carriers for which Aeroplan does not collect any surcharges. (Google "Aeroplan no-surcharge partners".) Any Saver space you find on united.com should be available through Aeroplan, but double-check with Aeroplan before you transfer any points.

LondonElite May 22, 2018 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 29783762)
Well, maybe not if you redeem for BA through LAN Pass, but that might not be an option for the OP.

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...ds-heres-save/

But redeeming BA Avios for BA short-haul flights (like LHR-FRA) as an RFS can be a much better deal than redeeming other program's miles for such flights.

OK, that one is new to me. Thanks.

Yoshi212 May 22, 2018 9:54 pm

Don't forget AY also. I rather enjoyed their J service SFO-HEL-PRG. They're 2x4x2 in Y which is quite comfortable compared to others. They fly to JFK & ORD.

CPR85 May 25, 2018 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 29783847)
If AA has SAAver space for FRA-NYC-YYZ, then I suspect that redeeming 57.5K AA miles per ticket with no surcharges would be your best deal.

For YYZ-LON via a connection somewhere, I would search united.com for Saver space on carriers for which Aeroplan does not collect any surcharges. (Google "Aeroplan no-surcharge partners".) Any Saver space you find on united.com should be available through Aeroplan, but double-check with Aeroplan before you transfer any points.

It looks like the plane would be an A332 from Fra-NYC and business only no first class. Anyone have experience with this for long haul fights?

I'm leaning towards trying BA from yyz-lon through Asia Miles and then Lufthansa from FRA-YYZ through asiana Rewards. Any comments?

Mwenenzi May 25, 2018 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by CPR85 (Post 29795118)
..I'm leaning towards trying BA from YYZ-LON through Asia Miles and then Lufthansa from FRA-YYZ through Asiana Rewards. Any comments?

Is their award availability?
Trans Atlantic premium cabin award availability does not last long. Many people from many ffp's looking for those sought after awards.

LondonElite May 26, 2018 1:34 am

Originally Posted by CPR85 (Post 29795118)
It looks like the plane would be an A332 from Fra-NYC and business only no first class. Anyone have experience with this for long haul fights?

I'm leaning towards trying BA from yyz-lon through Asia Miles and then Lufthansa from FRA-YYZ through asiana Rewards. Any comments?

That's all fine...just grab them before they are gone.

CPR85 Jun 7, 2018 9:08 pm

So it looks like I didn't expect to have to schedule this so early so rewards were limited. I ended up booking premium economy through RBC Rewards for fights with air Canada and Lufthansa. I'm curious how, if possible, I could use points (SPG, Aeroplan or RBC) to upgrade to business.