Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Velocity points or Amex Membership Rewards? Which should I choose? Please help...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Velocity points or Amex Membership Rewards? Which should I choose? Please help...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone, Please help me make the right decision...

I’m looking to book a $1,000 Virgin Australia flight from LAX to Melbourne...

I need trip cancellation insurance...

I have 2 options:

1. Book through Delta website, earn 5,400 Skymiles, pay for trip cancellation insurance... Pay with my platinum Amex and get 5,000 MR points. (The Skymiles I earn will be useless since I don’t fly delta)
  1. Book through the Virgin Australia website, earn 12,000 velocity points, pay with my Chase Milageplus Visa (which includes trip cancellation insurance). Earn only 1,000 United miles...

I’m a Virgin Australia silver member and a united milageplus member (no status).

Virgin Australia’s Velocity program is very limited, but does have partner airlines with Delta, Alitalia, Singapore air & Silk Air. Also Select codeshare flights operated by Virgin America & Etihad... (I don’t really use those airlines... I tend to stick with star Alliance)

Which website/ credit card should I use to maximize my points and guarantee trip cancellation insurance?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Rachelrobinson
Hi everyone, Please help me make the right decision...

I’m looking to book a $1,000 Virgin Australia flight from LAX to Melbourne...

I need trip cancellation insurance...

I have 2 options:

1. Book through Delta website, earn 5,400 Skymiles, pay for trip cancellation insurance... Pay with my platinum Amex and get 5,000 MR points. (The Skymiles I earn will be useless since I don’t fly delta)
  1. Book through the Virgin Australia website, earn 12,000 velocity points, pay with my Chase Milageplus Visa (which includes trip cancellation insurance). Earn only 1,000 United miles...

I’m a Virgin Australia silver member and a united milageplus member (no status).

Virgin Australia’s Velocity program is very limited, but does have partner airlines with Delta, Alitalia, Singapore air & Silk Air. Also Select codeshare flights operated by Virgin America & Etihad... (I don’t really use those airlines... I tend to stick with star Alliance)

Which website/ credit card should I use to maximize my points and guarantee trip cancellation insurance?

Can't you use either credit card at [any] airline site?

What is the cost of purchasing trip-cancellation insurance if you use your Amex card? Does that cost exceed the value of the 5,000 MR points you would earn?

Also, different insurance policies have different terms. Carefully compare the terms of the paid coverage with the terms of the free Chase/UA card coverage.

Even if you book through the Delta website, can't you still opt to earn Velocity points instead of Sky Miles?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976

Can't you use either credit card at [any] airline site?

What is the cost of purchasing trip-cancellation insurance if you use your Amex card? Does that cost exceed the value of the 5,000 MR points you would earn?

Also, different insurance policies have different terms. Carefully compare the terms of the paid coverage with the terms of the free Chase/UA card coverage.

Even if you book through the Delta website, can't you still opt to earn Velocity points instead of Sky Miles?
thanks for your fast reply... You’re right, I can also earn velocity points even when booking through Delta... I didn’t know that before
Trip cancellation through delta costs $40...
I just checked and can either pay $921 and earn 4,606 MR points, or I can transfer 52,000 of my current MR points to pay for the entire flight...

I currently have 78,000 Amex MR points and was hoping to get a business class flight or 2 in the future... I shouldn’t use them now on this economy flight to Australia, right?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Airline miles (and credit-card points that can be converted to airline miles) are usually worth more when redeemed for premium-cabin International travel -- assuming that you can find low-tier award seats for when you want to travel.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your advice... I’ll use my platinum Amex to pay for my flight through the delta website...

And I’ll start looking for premium cabin reward flights for next year
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks again Guv,
I just booked a UA reward saver business class flight from LHR to EWR... 55,000 miles... Very excited because this will be my 2nd business class flight in all my years of flying... Can’t wait to experience the Polaris
Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rachelrobinson
Thanks again Guv,
I just booked a UA reward saver business class flight from LHR to EWR... 55,000 miles... Very excited because this will be my 2nd business class flight in all my years of flying... Can’t wait to experience the Polaris
Excellent; congrats!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.