Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

How long to clear immigration at JFK T7 at 7am?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long to clear immigration at JFK T7 at 7am?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Question How long to clear immigration at JFK T7 at 7am?

Hi all,

Am flying Cathay Pacific CX 888 that lands at JFK Terminal 7 at 7am? How long does it usually take to clear immigration for a foreigner and collect baggage etc?

Am planning a connecting flight to Orlando taking Jet Blue from T5. There is a flight departing at 9.29am but that may be risky and too rush. The other flight after that is 12.40pm but that's like additional 3 hours of waiting at the airport. Would I make the 9.29am flight? JetBlue closes their check-in 40mins before departure.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old May 29, 2015, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Jinjin88
Hi all,

Am flying Cathay Pacific CX 888 that lands at JFK Terminal 7 at 7am? How long does it usually take to clear immigration for a foreigner and collect baggage etc?

Am planning a connecting flight to Orlando taking Jet Blue from T5. There is a flight departing at 9.29am but that may be risky and too rush. The other flight after that is 12.40pm but that's like additional 3 hours of waiting at the airport. Would I make the 9.29am flight? JetBlue closes their check-in 40mins before departure.
Consider the various possibilities for delays:

The Cathay flight might be late arriving.

The lines at immigration might be running slow.

Your baggage might be late arriving on the carousel.

If you were to take the 12h40 flight none of that would matter.

You are comparing a gamble with a certainty and to my mind the stress involved in missing the first flight just wouldn't be worth it, but it's your choice. Are you a gambler?
Old May 29, 2015, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Bobad. After considering all options, I am gonna take the 1240pm. There will always be delays one way or another, so no point risking it. It's a holiday and prefer it stress free and not rush like crazy.

I take calculated risks and gamble when appropriate.

Which terminal is better to wait in? T7 or T5?
Old May 29, 2015, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Thanks Bobad. After considering all options, I am gonna take the 1240pm. There will always be delays one way or another, so no point risking it. It's a holiday and prefer it stress free and not rush like crazy.

I take calculated risks and gamble when appropriate.

Which terminal is better to wait in? T7 or T5?
Since you'll be kicked out of the airside portion of T7 once you clear Customs, you might as well go over to T5, where you can go airside.
Old May 30, 2015, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Thank you Guv, may just go T5 then to save the hassle.
Old May 31, 2015, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
T5 is pretty nice. Also consider flying AA to MCO, since any missed connection would be a oneworld-to-oneworld connection and therefore protected.
Old May 31, 2015, 11:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Hi all,

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Would this be separate tickets? If so, definitely take the later flight.

If the Jet Blue flight is on the same itinerary/ticket as your CX TPAC, you could risk the earlier connection since you would be rebooked onto the later flight if you miss the connection and space is available. IMO it's a matter of whether you want to worry or not. Experienced travelers might find it easier to deal with this situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.