FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   Destination: Thailand from North America [Consolidated] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/1318793-destination-thailand-north-america-consolidated.html)

Dr Jabadski Feb 6, 2013 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by alka12 (Post 20195582)
LP - The LatinPass Million Mile Run in 2000 :)

Thank you.

brooklynmatt Feb 6, 2013 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by flightmedic (Post 20196907)
What are the partner options to fly to Italy using AA miles?? I have tried to book but I am being directed to BA codeshare flights through London with that high fee. I know I have to avoid London but can I use AA miles on AB and or IB?? How do I search for availability of these airlines??

If you are taking the ib ab route I'd use avios if you have them and keep AA for TPAC

zamburak Feb 6, 2013 10:10 pm

Shanghai gets pretty hot in the summer. It is sometimes called a 'furnace' with several other cities notable for their oppressive summer temperatures: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Furnaces

上海 (Shanghai) has a much better air quality situation than Beijing, but in general watch out in the summertime in some parts of China - heat + pollution = unpleasant times.

That said, there is still a lot of fun to be had all over China in the summer-time, but it may prove more of an itinerary-annoyance in many places than say, Europe.

Oil-man Feb 7, 2013 5:35 am

Western Thailand (e.g. Phuket) has a lot of rainfall in the summer and it is very much the low season because of the SW monsoon.

Koh Samui is the exact opposite as it is on the Eastern side and sheltered from the monsoon. In the summer it is high season and much, much drier. We were in Phuket and Samui last August - Koh Samui is the place to go in the summer, Phuket in the winte when the NE monsoon blows.

estnet Feb 7, 2013 7:15 am

Are you considering land costs as well as the air? if so you get a LOT more for your dollar in Thailand compared to Italy.
There are places in Thailand that are not any hotter than Italy (and with the shifting weather patterns who knows i nearly died ( metophorically) from heat last summer in rome. outside of Bangkok and the culture would really be an eye opener for your children.
I don't know ifyouncould get 4 business class seats - maybe getting four business awards on the same flight might be a challenge anyway-with your miles -I think you would need a bit more, but if you could I would redeem them for Cathay rather than AA. Also don't forget on AA awards you can get a " free" ticket to the east coast by booking a "stopover" at the US gateway and onward months later.

alka12 Feb 7, 2013 11:15 am

After much discussion, the family is now open to vacation in Netherlands or Scotland :)

Found some interesting routings for Avios usage via Brazil (LAN to Sao Paolo, then BA to LHR, Dublin back to NYC etc) but I don't think I could sell the idea to my kids

sharka Feb 7, 2013 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by alka12 (Post 20196545)
Oh man - I didn't think about the weather. Of course Bangkok would be unbearable in July. I wonder - Shanghai is pretty up north. Let me check weather there.

So then back to Europe. Would love to share Italy with the girls, maybe if I shift it up to last week of June.

Just to let you know, I've been to Shanghai in mid July and it is very hot and sticky there at that time as its peak summer there. Believe it or not, sometimes iits actual WORST in Shanghai than in most of Thailand at this time of year.

sharka Feb 7, 2013 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by mikelat (Post 20199767)
Not totally accurate. BA will charge the surchage on either BA or AA flights. But AA will only charge the surchange on BA flights. AA flights booked with AA miles do not have the surcharge.

Not sure if I remember correctly, but didn't AA started charging TATL surcharges also even if using AA metal? Just something I remember but could be wrong about this.

AlohaDaveKennedy Feb 7, 2013 3:17 pm

Indeed - I can't begine to imagine what it would cost to ride the Shinkansen to Korea.:p

Originally Posted by AnitaBryant63 (Post 20197098)
I just did that routing. I used BA Avios points to fly all over Japan, Korea, and the region! WAAAAY cheaper than the Shinkansen! I was very pleased with the value I got out of those miles.

azepine00 Feb 7, 2013 10:57 pm

Bali is one of the best options in Asia in July if you can find award space. Being in SFO with aa miles you have an extra benefir of getting a stopover followed by some interesting domestic segment and use avios for return.
To Europe Iberia yq is very reasonable relative to ba but I am sure if they fly to SFO.

rissyris Feb 23, 2013 7:00 pm

Honeymoon in Thailand

Hi,

I have absolutely no experience in the frequent flyer world and would appreciate all of your expert knowledge. My fiance and I would like to go to Thailand for our honeymoon next January. My preliminary research looks like we should fly from JFK to Bangkok. We have approximately 400,000 Amex points. What is the best way for us to get the best tickets for these points? I know we have to transfer from amex directly to an airline, but is this enough for roundtrip business class tickets? Which is our best airline to take? As I said, I am lacking any knowledge so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

mnscout Feb 23, 2013 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by rissyris (Post 20305369)
Hi,

I have absolutely no experience in the frequent flyer world and would appreciate all of your expert knowledge. My fiance and I would like to go to Thailand for our honeymoon next January. My preliminary research looks like we should fly from JFK to Bangkok. We have approximately 400,000 Amex points. What is the best way for us to get the best tickets for these points? I know we have to transfer from amex directly to an airline, but is this enough for roundtrip business class tickets? Which is our best airline to take? As I said, I am lacking any knowledge so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Transfer for 2 1st class seats on Cathay Pacific. You've got more than enough providing there is availability.

rissyris Feb 23, 2013 7:16 pm

Thank you! Do you know where I can search how many points equals one round trip first class ticket? Appreciate your help!

Paiteaw Feb 23, 2013 7:32 pm

Best to look at the website of the airline's which you would like to transfer and redeem your points on. For example, if you want redeem for tickets on Cathay F, you can book this through the American aadvantage program (135k).
Usually they have good availabilty with minimal taxes & fees.
You would need to call in to book and incur the $25 ticketing fee since this can not be booked online.

yoshapman Feb 23, 2013 7:53 pm

Funny, have a very similar question.

Have 150K AA, 210K BA, 240K United, 150K Amex - Looking for 2 business class seats to Thailand from NYC for next Jan. United seems best since no extra fees, but right now they only have flights there, nothing back from the day I need. BA has a flight back on Cathay, but at 90K + $200 for a one way ticket, seems ridiculous. Any other thoughts (not looking to buy or trade miles, just using what I have). Looking to fly into Chiang Mai (which has United availability), and looking to fly out of Phuket, or possibly Koh Samui. Thanks for any info.