India-issued credit cards for NRI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK *A Gold, Delta Silver Medallion, Amex Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold

Is it possible for NRIs to get any credit card issued in India or is it going to be too much of paperwork involved? I am interested in a travel card like the one below:

JetPrivilege HDFC Bank World

http://www.hdfcbank.com/personal/cre...rd?id=h54vq7yy

Thanks
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
my understanding is that there are different procedures for nri's....it would be best to get in touch with the bank....
Old May 7, 2016, 11:00 am

Almost all credit cards in India require you to be a resident in India to be able to apply and get them. Although if you travel back and forth enough that you might be able pass off as a resident and hence apply for a card. But this might require you to go to a branch and have a quick "nice" chat with a banker.

Also, there are specific credit cards for NRIs but they require you to also open an attached account or FD with the bank and keep a certain amount in the account which then acts towards the credit limit for the card. Such cards don't really have much travel or miles/points benefits except they are helpful when you wish to purchase something in India or on an Indian website that doesn't accept Indian credit cards (e.g. Indigo airlines)

Hope the information is helpful.
Old May 8, 2016, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Don't you need to have a PAN card?
Old May 9, 2016, 1:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Just open a rupee denominated NRO account with your local HDFC bank (which requires you to mention the PAN card along with your taxID of the country you are resident in), park some money there in savings & FD accounts and you can apply for most HDFC Bank CCs.
Old May 9, 2016, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Just open a rupee denominated NRO account with your local HDFC bank (which requires you to mention the PAN card along with your taxID of the country you are resident in), park some money there in savings & FD accounts and you can apply for most HDFC Bank CCs.
I thought unless you have a Indian PAN card you can't open a credit card account? That's what I was advised as its due to new money laundering regulations.
Old May 9, 2016, 5:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by onlysuites
I thought unless you have a Indian PAN card you can't open a credit card account? That's what I was advised as its due to new money laundering regulations.
A foreigner can obtain a PAN number easily. The banks KYC is happy with foreign ID too. I have a PAN from 1996/97 that I quoted when opening a NRO account, HDFC was absolutely happy with just the number, a copy of my PIO and Passport. I've now applied to update it and receive a new card, which the NDSL will gladly do for 1000Rs.
Old May 9, 2016, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder how they will track money laundering on foreign owned cc's then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.