Wiki Posts
Search

Bringing alcohol into India?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2011, 5:12 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
What if he wants to bring in 4 liters of Superfine Superduper Sambuca which isn't sold in duty free. If the allowance is 4 liters, how much duty will they charge for the extra 2 liters?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by yosithezet
What if he wants to bring in 4 liters of Superfine Superduper Sambuca which isn't sold in duty free. If the allowance is 4 liters, how much duty will they charge for the extra 2 liters?
doesn't matter whether its sold in duty free or anywhere else in the world....they seem to have pretty much any item you can think of listed on their booklet....my guess is that if the superfine superduper sambuca costs inr 100 in india & attracts duty of 25% then you will be charged an extra inr 25 per bottle over the 2 liters limit....
Old Jan 16, 2011, 8:23 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond
I bring in 2 bottles of wine whenever I fly to India... never had any problem with that. My in-laws also do the same and they also never had any issues.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 5:15 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
2 bottles of wine is within the limit, so why should there be any issues? The OP probably planned to bring two crates of JW Blue or similarly precious...
Old Sep 6, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, US Chairman's, Star Alliance Gold, Delta Gold, AA Gold
Alcohol into New Delhi from EWR

Guys.. I see these posts are from 2006. Does anyone have an update on policies bringing alcohol into New Delhi?
1) I would like to put 2-4 bottles into my checked in luggage. Then on landing in DEL, I will transfer them to my hand luggage as hand luggage doesn't typically get screened.. should this be my modus operandi?

2) I am flying Virgin in First Class.. do I get the benefit of flying first with customs agents in DEL? Such as no screening, or more laxed rules?
Old Sep 6, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, US Chairman's, Star Alliance Gold, Delta Gold, AA Gold
Alcohol into DEL

HI - I am flying with my 4 year old son from EWR - DEL through London on Virgin in First Class
Question: Can I Pack extra bottles of alcohol in my checked in luggage? Will this be a problem with customs in DEL? I was thinking between 2-4 bottles.

Are the customs agent more laxed when they see a child? Or the fact that Im traveling first?

Thanks

Last edited by sacgrad2002; Sep 6, 2014 at 5:27 pm
Old Sep 7, 2014, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by sacgrad2002
1) I would like to put 2-4 bottles into my checked in luggage. Then on landing in DEL, I will transfer them to my hand luggage as hand luggage doesn't typically get screened.. should this be my modus operandi?
there are days when everything gets screened so i wouldn't take that chance....

2) I am flying Virgin in First Class.. do I get the benefit of flying first with customs agents in DEL? Such as no screening, or more laxed rules?
no special benefits with customs....doesn't matter what class you fly....
Old Sep 7, 2014, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

already answered your question on the other thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india...nto-india.html
Old Sep 9, 2014, 2:37 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Guys.. I see these posts are from 2006. Does anyone have an update on policies bringing alcohol into New Delhi?

Typically if they decide to screen your baggage, they will also ask you to put your hand luggage there..
And am sure folks will notice when you transfer stuff from your checkin to hand luggage after claiming baggage and that will be another hint for them..

The only benefit for flying 1st class is maybe you pay more once caught !!!
Old Sep 12, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
The only benefit for flying 1st class is maybe you pay more once caught !!!
Indeed

Thankfully, this this isn't as common anymore
Old Sep 25, 2014, 3:52 pm

Paying customs duty to import alcohol

i need to take a couple of 3 ltr bottles of champagne to India next month. I want to take thenm legally, without having to grease anyones palm.

As i will be over my free allowance, can i pay a duty and take the bottles with me, if yes, does anyone know how much it is.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 2:56 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The limits are here: http://www.cbec.gov.in/trvler-guide_ason11June2014.pdf

The key sentence is:

5. Alcoholic drinks and tobacco products imported in excess of free allowance are chargeable to custom duty at the rates applicable to their commercial imports as per the Customs Tariff Act, 1975.
Sparkling wine is Ch 22 04 10 and charged at 150% tariff:

http://www.cbec.gov.in/customs/cst20...st1314-idx.htm

http://www.cbec.gov.in/customs/cst2013-14/chap-22.pdf
Old Sep 26, 2014, 3:04 am

<Deleted> saw Oliver2002 response and realised i had made an error

Last edited by manuc; Sep 26, 2014 at 6:17 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.