Reload this Page >

QUESTIONS about OCI re-issue after turning 20/50 years

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 5, 2022, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Link to the latest guideline in force: https://www.mha.gov.in/sites/default...s_16072021.pdf

If you are below 20 and get a new passport:
go to https://ociservices.gov.in/ click on 'OCI Miscellaneous Services' and update your details, upload a pdf of your new passport and a jpg of a recent passport foto.

You will receive an email confirming the submission and sometime later get another email confirming the update. Nothing is reissued.

If you were issued an OCI card when you were younger than 20 and get a new passport:
you have to apply for a reissue of the OCI card.

go to https://ociservices.gov.in/ click on 'OCI Miscellaneous Services' and update your details, upload a pdf of you new passport and a jpg of a recent passport foto.

Then contact your local mission to submit the old OCI card and receive the new one. Some missions do this on site, mssions with a larger Indian community like the UK/US use a service provider like VFS for that.

If you were issued an OCI card when you were older than 20 and get a new passport:
You don't need to do anything. The next time you fly to India, it would be advisable to carry the old passport with you. If you have time on hand and nothing else to do:

go to https://ociservices.gov.in/ click on 'OCI Miscellaneous Services' and update your details, upload a pdf of you new passport and a jpg of a recent passport foto.
You will receive an email confirming the submission and sometime later get another email confirming the update. Nothing is reissued.

If you were issued an OCI card when you were older than 20 and get a new passport after you turned 50:
go to https://ociservices.gov.in/ click on 'OCI Miscellaneous Services' and update your details, upload a pdf of your new passport and a jpg of a recent passport foto.

The TIMATIC entries are currently as follows: checked on EK on 09FEB2024: https://www.emirates.com/de/english/...destination=in

Visa Exemptions:
Passengers with an Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) card or booklet. A physical OCI card or booklet is required. A digital or photocopy of the OCI card or booklet is not accepted.
Passengers with an Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) card must apply for a new Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) card only once when they obtain a new passport after turning 20 years old.

Print Wikipost

QUESTIONS about OCI re-issue after turning 20/50 years

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:42 pm

Hello All
I am traveling next month and only came to know this rule now, that new OCI is needed if we get a new US passport after 50. I am little worried as I have not renewed OCI. But I have happily traveled to Bangalore 3 times since dec 2016 -dec 2017 without knowing this rule and never faced any problems at immigration in Bangalore. One time I did not carry my old passport with visa sticker. Ignorance is bliss I guess atleast in my case
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by flyertalksuresh
Hello All
I am traveling next month and only came to know this rule now, that new OCI is needed if we get a new US passport after 50. I am little worried as I have not renewed OCI. But I have happily traveled to Bangalore 3 times since dec 2016 -dec 2017 without knowing this rule and never faced any problems at immigration in Bangalore. One time I did not carry my old passport with visa sticker. Ignorance is bliss I guess atleast in my case
Please see my post above. I got a new passport after 50 and went to India with my existing OCI. No questions asked. Visa stickers are no longer needed. Don't lose sleep over this one.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: Delta
Australia: OCI & new passport confusion

There are news reports that OCI holders have been stopped from boarding flights to India from Australia if the OCI booklet did not have a passport number on it matching the traveler's current passport.

https://www.sbs.com.au/language/engl...ights-to-india

Clearly a case of the rule about the OCI having to be renewed once when a person gets a new passport after turning 50 being misinterpreted by someone (who? Australian airlines body?). It appears that the Indian missions in Australia are trying to clarify this. But meanwhile it must be extremely disruptive for many OCI holders traveling from Australia to India. Going by the way the rule is being interpreted, OCI holders over the age of 50 would need to get a new OCI every time they got a new passport for the numbers to always match.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
a clarification from the external affairs ministry to the indian embassy in australia, who in turn forward the communication to all airlines in australia, should fix this problem very easily....however, this is easier said that done....our current government is not the best in resolving issues unless it becomes a huge pr opportunity for them....
Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
And the PIO card doesn't exist anymore ?
Old Oct 30, 2019, 3:09 pm

The PIO card does exist, and is deemed valid for travel to India (by Indian immigration authorities) until some time in 2020, at which time all PIO card holders have to convert their PIO cards to OCI cards. (This is something that has been repeatedly pushed back by the Indian government, so who knows, the deadline may move and PIO cards may continue to be valid a lot longer.) However, there is a bigger practical problem with the PIO card in that it is not a machine-readable document (at least most of them) and therefore airlines will often not accept it as a valid travel document. If you can convince the airline it's valid, then it's fine to use it for entry to India.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser
a clarification from the external affairs ministry to the indian embassy in australia, who in turn forward the communication to all airlines in australia, should fix this problem very easily....
It looks like this happened - I believe TIMATIC information for travel to India has been updated to specify that OCI holders need to renew their OCI card only once after they turn 50, which (at least implicitly) means that a mismatch in the passport number is acceptable in these cases. It would be ideal if the TIMATIC information explicitly stated that the old passport need not be carried along too, but I guess this is better than nothing.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Bandicoot
It looks like this happened - I believe TIMATIC information for travel to India has been updated to specify that OCI holders need to renew their OCI card only once after they turn 50, which (at least implicitly) means that a mismatch in the passport number is acceptable in these cases. It would be ideal if the TIMATIC information explicitly stated that the old passport need not be carried along too, but I guess this is better than nothing.
great....i'm surprised they did this so quickly....
Old Oct 31, 2019, 3:56 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The timatic entries can be viewed here:

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/IN-...quirements.htm

U visas are no longer issued to those who have been granted Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) status. Passengers with OCI status must travel with their OCI cards and will not be required to show a "U" visa. Passengers arriving at Delhi (DEL) and traveling without an OCI card are allowed to enter if they have a "U" visa on their old or current passport.
Furthermore, Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) Cards are no longer being issued. Passengers with PIO status must convert their PIO status to OCI status before the 31 March 2020. From the 31 March 2020, passengers with a PIO card will no longer be allowed to enter.

Passengers with a Registration Certificate/Residential Permit must also travel with the supporting documents allowing them to stay in India, e.g. PIO.
Expired passports are mentioned a few times:

Valid visa stickers in expired passports are acceptable if accompanied by a valid passport of the same nationality of the expired passport. Passengers must have both the expired and the valid passport.

Valid ETA issued on expired passports are accepted if accompanied by a valid passport of the same nationality. Passengers must have both the expired and the valid passport.
The OCI and new passport <20 >50 is now a special warning:

Warning:

Passengers younger than 20 years must apply for a new OCI card every time they get a new passport.
Passengers older than 21 and younger than 49 years are not required to apply for a new OCI card when they get a new passport. They can present the OCI card with a valid passport.
Passengers older than 50 years must apply for a new OCI on the first renewal of the passport after 50 years. If the OCI card is issued for the first time after the passenger is older than 50 years, there is no need to issue a new OCI ever time a new passport is issued.
Bandicoot likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 10:35 am

ALERT

Originally Posted by pindi
Please see my post above. I got a new passport after 50 and went to India with my existing OCI. No questions asked. Visa stickers are no longer needed. Don't lose sleep over this one.
https://www.sbs.com.au/language/engl...ights-to-india

Seems babus have woken up and working hard to make "Mera bharat mahan" again
So when it come to sheer Indian bureacratic stupidity Modi and Kangress are on equal footing

You get OCt at age 22, for next 27 years facial changes have no issue to babus.
You get OCI at age 49, within 2 years they need new OCI card (yes, and they claim it is lifetime!!)

Any even then why not just re-issue OCI with new photo and pasport numer>? why does have to go through entire PAINFUL proces all over again?
Old Nov 7, 2019, 10:50 am

ALERT

<delete>

Last edited by desi; Nov 7, 2019 at 10:50 am Reason: dup
Old Nov 7, 2019, 11:43 am

But they can look at the passport and match the face!
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shamb
But they can look at the passport and match the face!
if only life were that simple....
Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser
great....i'm surprised they did this so quickly....
Sorry to be late into this thread Someone opened an internal ticket with IATA's TIMATICweb folks. They are the ones who fix such things. It took three working days to fix it. The AUS consulates did nothing to facilitate it.
Keyser and Bandicoot like this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 5:27 am

Travel with original OCI Card with new passport after last name change

Hi!
My daughter has to make an urgent trip to India next week. She recently got a new passport with her last name changed after her wedding. Will she be able to travel on her original OCI Card and new passport along with her marriage certificate and old passport as proof of identity?

Thanks!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.