Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

US Citizen, 6 mo entry visa - accepted by UA for EWR-BOM?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2020, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Does it matter any more?

A US Citizen (does not have OCI) of Indian origin has obtained a 6-month entry visa from the Indian consulate in New York. The email from the Indian consulate advised booking an Air India Vande Mataram flight. It was silent about other airline bubble arrangement.

They are booked on a United EWR-BOM flight. Will they be allowed to board this United Airlines air bubble flight from EWR to BOM?
Old Dec 26, 2020, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Answering my own question.

Checked Timatic, United notices for India. Talked to a United gate agent at EWR (via UA customer support).
"Passengers with a visa (excluding medical visas issued on or before October 21, 2020, and tourist visas) issued by India are allowed to board United flights. "

Indian consulate in NY pointed us to this section of the page:
"(iii) In case any foreign national not covered by categories mentioned in (i) above is required to visit India urgently due to any family emergency, the Indian Missions/Posts are authorized to issue single entry X-Misc visa for appropriate period. In such cases, the Indian Missions/Posts may take a decision on grant of visa on a case to case basis on the merits of each case."

and a bit more searching led to this (Page 27 of the PDF under section XI Entry ('x') visa. Point # 12):

"Foreign nationals applying for visa for a purpose, which is not specifically covered under any visa category, may be granted ‘X-Misc’ Visa for appropriate duration. Such a Visa may be granted only with single entry and for the specific duration taking into account the purpose of visit. If the visa is granted for a period of stay exceeding 180 days, the foreigner will have to register himself/ herself with the FRRO/ FRO concerned within 14 days of arrival. This visa will be non-extendable and non-convertible to any other type of visa."

UA advised pax arrive 3 hrs before scheduled departure of first flight (In this case a BOS-EWR-BOM RT) as documents will be checked there.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Why don't I say this - if the passenger can qualify for an OCI card, get it before travel. The OCI card will reduce all questions to the minimal.

Everything else is not a guarantee even fully compliance with TIMATIC.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
if the passenger can qualify for an OCI card, get it before travel.
They do. There isn't enough time before travel to get it.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by legionnaire
They do. There isn't enough time before travel to get it.
Then the passenger will be at his/her own risk.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 6:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Don't worry about the OCI thing to make the trip to India.

UA is allowing US citizens with Indian Entry visas issued this quarter to fly to India in recent weeks. There are more than a handful of Indian couples that have children born in the US who have moved back to India with the US citizen child going to India on the 6-month Entry visa.

Air India would be perhaps less fussy, as they will have seen this way more than any US or European carrier. And AI flights may be less likely to have their flights/flight passengers banned from flying to India due to Covid-19 than non-Indian carriers.
Often1 likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 28, 2020 at 6:16 am
Old Dec 28, 2020, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
UA is allowing US citizens with Indian Entry visas issued this quarter to fly to India in recent weeks.
Thanks. Helps.

Now to find a thread about how people reduce risk in-flight on a 8000mile non-stop. I mean at some point people have to use the rest room, eat.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
the indian consulate is pushing people to fly on ai on the government's insistence....its not mandatory so don't worry about it....flying on ua any other airline allowed to fly into india is perfectly fine....
GUWonder likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by legionnaire
Now to find a thread about how people reduce risk in-flight on a 8000mile non-stop. I mean at some point people have to use the rest room, eat.
i've taken 3 international flights over the last coupe of months....2 flights have been from del to nyc while the 3rd was to dxb....as long as you are careful, wear your mask, sanitize your hands after using the bathroom, taking off the mask only to eat & drink, you will be perfectly fine....people were being respectful of other people's boundaries & maintaining social distancing pretty well on all my flights so i never felt i was at risk at any given point in time....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.