Chennai [MAA] connection/departure experience reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chennai [MAA] connection/departure experience reports

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2016, 2:52 am

Programs: 9W, HH, Taj, Air India
The only way you can make a visa-free transit in 2 hours is if Etihad agrees to check-in your luggage through to CMB. You should check with Etihad if they will do this before booking tickets. EK also has direct flights to CMB.
Old May 10, 2016, 5:07 pm

transiting MAA - visa required?

My bride and I will be transiting MAA, arriving via BA35 (LHR-MAA) and connecting to AI263 (MAA-TRV-MLE) on the same day (03:00 -> 07:00). American customer service says that we will need to get visas to transit.

1. Is this actually true? We're US citizens. I can't tell from the forums whether we can stay airside in the same international passenger area.

2. Is it better to be safe than sorry and just get eTourist visas, just in case?

Any other tips for making this a smooth connection? I don't know if AA will be able to check our bags all the way through or if we will have to collect them in MAA and recheck with AI.

Thanks!

Last edited by AUSTraveler; May 10, 2016 at 5:18 pm
Old May 10, 2016, 6:01 pm

Yes you will need a visa. There is no transit function in MAA so you will need to arrive through customs and immigration. Then you need to leave the international terminal and walk down to the domestic terminal for your flight to TRV. All of this requires a visa to enter India.

Also it is highly unlikely that BA will check your luggage with AI as I'm assuming these are separate tickets. So you'll need to give yourself a LOT of time between flights. If say a minimum of 3 hours as lines in MAA for both immigration and checkin security tend to be long.
Old May 10, 2016, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Merlinrnr
Yes you will need a visa. There is no transit function in MAA so you will need to arrive through customs and immigration. Then you need to leave the international terminal and walk down to the domestic terminal for your flight to TRV. All of this requires a visa to enter India.

Also it is highly unlikely that BA will check your luggage with AI as I'm assuming these are separate tickets. So you'll need to give yourself a LOT of time between flights. If say a minimum of 3 hours as lines in MAA for both immigration and checkin security tend to be long.
Thanks! The AI flight is a thru-flight, no deplaning in TRV. But I understand the BA interline issue and will plan on getting the eTourist visas just in case.
Old May 11, 2016, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by AUSTraveler
Thanks! The AI flight is a thru-flight, no deplaning in TRV. But I understand the BA interline issue and will plan on getting the eTourist visas just in case.
i think its wise to get the visa....maa is not the best when trying to connect on 2 separate tickets....
Old Jul 10, 2016, 7:05 am

Confused about MAA connection

Hey all,

I've been scouring the internet trying to figure out how my connection in MAA might play out...

I'm arriving on TG from BKK at 00:30 and departing to MLE at 07:00 on AI, but the flight has a stop in TRV (aeroplan lists this as a technical stop with same flight number).

I'm trying to figure out if I have to change from international to domestic terminal, and if that's the case, will I only be allowed air side 3 hours prior? Was hoping to be departing from a terminal with all-night lounge, and not have to wait until 3 hours prior. If I do change terminals, any suggestions for a place to eat and rest? Flying J on both airlines, also have amex platinum and full priority pass membership. Any help is greatly appreciated...sorry if this is not the correct forum!

Cheers,
Tyler
Old Jul 11, 2016, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
you won't need to change terminals....the flight from maa-mle leaves from the international terminal & i don't think you get off the flight in trv....
Old Jul 11, 2016, 5:45 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
You arrive in MAA, get the AI boarding pass (if not already received from TG in BKK), go thru transit security and then you are airside. You can use the 'travel club' lounge with your PP card. I seriously doubt they will ask you to leave after 3h (as mentioned on the PP website).
Old Nov 1, 2016, 10:36 pm

Programs: US DM Silver
So wanted to follow up on this post. We only had carry on bags with no checked luggage.

Arrived in MAA on Etihad just after 3:30am. Walked down to the transit lounge and then was told you can't go in there. Was walked to immigration and was told to sit. Eventually someone from Air India, our connection arrived and asked what was going on (this was between 4:30 and 5:00am) and we explained. He said to stay put and we sat until 5:00am when an Etihad Representative arrived. he explained they needed a letter and then would walk us to our flight.

Time is ticking down - I keep saying we need to go - he says don't worry. Now its after 5:30am. Just relax. Now its 5:45am with a 6am departure. I'm sorry, but the flight has left. Now we are stuck in MAA.

We didn't leave until a 4:00pm flight out on Sri Lankaan Air which we had to pay for with only a business class ticket available. I had to give my credit card to the Etihad contract representative and they left the airport to purchase a ticket for an 11:00am flight only to tell me the flight was sold out - then came back and did it all over again for the 4:00pm flight. They refused to take any responsibility for the delay, cost, etc. We threatened to just let them deport us which caused a huddle of the workers on what to do.

About 2pm they returned after purchasing our tickets - but now had to check us in. after lots of arguing we handed over our passports - they went out and checked us in then walked us through the the departure lounge. Finally got something to eat and drink shortly after.

I blame Etihad for all of this - they couldn't transit us through properly.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

terrible experience....etihad should have handled this better....
Old Nov 3, 2016, 5:16 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Transiting thru India without a visa & a 2 hour connection is a bit of risk. Not sure what the timatic rule is on this, but for the most part, a lot of the ground staff are clueless when it comes to slightly complex situations such as the above. Your in luck if you have access to a supervisor on duty who knows the system well enough to help out.

Would have been best to sort out the visa before leaving, that way there would have been a PLAN B to fall back on.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

apologies for digging up an old thread....i've done tons of domestic to international transfers at maa but haven't done an international to domestic transfer in many years....i'm forced to do one next week as i have to travel back from sin with a client....

my flight will land just after midnight & my domestic connection to del is at 6am....i have a reservation at the le royal méridien but now i'm debating whether to go there for such a short time....it will probably be after 1am by the time i land, get through immigration, get my bags & make it to the hotel....i need to be back at the airport at 5am so will have to leave the hotel by 4:45am....that means i get less than 4 hours at the hotel....

i understand the domestic lounge opens at 4am....can anyone confirm that or give any suggestions on what to do at the airport between 1am-4am....
Old Feb 3, 2017, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
apologies for digging up an old thread....i've done tons of domestic to international transfers at maa but haven't done an international to domestic transfer in many years....i'm forced to do one next week as i have to travel back from sin with a client....

my flight will land just after midnight & my domestic connection to del is at 6am....i have a reservation at the le royal méridien but now i'm debating whether to go there for such a short time....it will probably be after 1am by the time i land, get through immigration, get my bags & make it to the hotel....i need to be back at the airport at 5am so will have to leave the hotel by 4:45am....that means i get less than 4 hours at the hotel....

i understand the domestic lounge opens at 4am....can anyone confirm that or give any suggestions on what to do at the airport between 1am-4am....
I would definitely not sit around in the airport area. MAA lounges (as you probably know very well are awful (compared to BOM for example)).
Why not just go to the coffee shop in the Trident or the Le Meridien or Hilton? (whichever is open 24 hours)?
Then, take a taxi and come right back around 5AM.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ft4lyf
I would definitely not sit around in the airport area. MAA lounges (as you probably know very well are awful (compared to BOM for example)).
Why not just go to the coffee shop in the Trident or the Le Meridien or Hilton? (whichever is open 24 hours)?
Then, take a taxi and come right back around 5AM.
might just go to the coffee shop at the le méridien for a few hours....i don't think it makes sense to get a room for under 4 hours....
Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser
might just go to the coffee shop at the le méridien for a few hours....i don't think it makes sense to get a room for under 4 hours....
I agree. Its probably not worth the money or the effort of checking in / out. (unless you have to have a shower, etc).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.