Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2016, 3:15 am

My company booked a flight for me from DOH to RPR via BOM( arrival 4:55 am) and the domestic flight that I've to catch is at 6:35 am for RPR . Both the carriers are Jet airways,
Will I be able to make it, considering I've to clear customs and collect baggage
Will the baggage be transferred directly?
Old May 18, 2016, 11:23 pm

Just created wikipost for this thread given that most of the information from the earlier pages of this thread is totally outdated. (Looked at Post #8 and thought 3 years is enough time)

Kindly add to it as appropriate. Anyone with 90 post count and 90 day tenure can edit wikipost but please be reasonable.

Add/Correct only information that you are reasonably certain about.

Thanks

Last edited by desi; May 18, 2016 at 11:43 pm
Old May 19, 2016, 1:19 am

Outdated Info

Most of the pre-2016 posts on this thread have become outdated now that all major non-discount airlines (Vistara, AI and 9W) now operate all Dometic and Intl flights out of SAME terminal (T2).

There is also a similar thread for connections at BOM airport with its own wiki under India-based Airlines thread.
Old May 19, 2016, 1:38 am

New Wiki

Just created a wiki for this thread as most information on this thread is now outdated and misleading.

BOM has a nice swanky new airport terminal T-2. AI, 9W and Vistara have all their flight operations (INTL and DOM) here.

So you do not need to change terminal any more if connecting to/from these airlines. If you are using a budget airline, you still need to follow the old bus-transfer route.
Old May 22, 2016, 1:44 pm

Programs: Miles&More, Executive Club, AAdvantage, Lifemiles, TopBonus
Do you guys think that a direct-turnaround on EY is easily possible?
Old May 28, 2016, 9:17 pm

Hello,

This is my first time going through Bombay since 2008. I know that lots of stuff have changed. I have a couple of questions about my transfer.

I am flying from JFK airport in NYC, to (HYD)Hyderabad India on Etihad Airways in July. Unfortunately, the direct flight from Abu Dhabi to Hyderabad is fully booked and the last few remaining seats are being sold for a high price. Etihad has placed me on a flight to Bombay, and then a connecting Jet airways flight to HYD.

I called Etihad, and have been told that my bags will be checked all the way from JFK to HYD, since they are on the same booking.

I will be arriving on Etihad flight 206, that lands in Bombay at 2:50 AM, and my Jet Airways flight leaves at 7:20 AM.

My questions are:
Will immigration and customs be in Bombay Airport, or will it be in HYD?
Do I need to collect my bags in Bombay, and then drop them at Jet Airways counter? If so, where is the drop off counter for the bags located?
Do I need to transfer any terminals in Bombay?

Please let me know how this transfer will work.
Thanks
Old May 30, 2016, 4:58 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by s141342
Will immigration and customs be in Bombay Airport, or will it be in HYD?
Do I need to collect my bags in Bombay, and then drop them at Jet Airways counter? If so, where is the drop off counter for the bags located?
Do I need to transfer any terminals in Bombay?
In BOM
Yes, Jet Airways counter is located next to customs, or alternatively upstairs at regular checkin.
No terminal change, its all in the same building just separate security entrances.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by desi
Just created a wiki for this thread as most information on this thread is now outdated and misleading.

BOM has a nice swanky new airport terminal T-2. AI, 9W and Vistara have all their flight operations (INTL and DOM) here.

So you do not need to change terminal any more if connecting to/from these airlines. If you are using a budget airline, you still need to follow the old bus-transfer route.
Was shocked today to find out no more bus transfer. Had to take an auto-rikshaw. Ridiculous. Apparently not enough people using it or so I was told by info desk lady. Still don't quite buy it but the airport transfer signs all point to taxi desks now.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by elsanchez
Do you guys think that a direct-turnaround on EY is easily possible?
I don't recommend India as a good place for direct turnarounds.

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Was shocked today to find out no more bus transfer. Had to take an auto-rikshaw. Ridiculous. Apparently not enough people using it or so I was told by info desk lady. Still don't quite buy it but the airport transfer signs all point to taxi desks now.
Not much of a surprise now that all of the full service carriers have moved to T2.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I don't recommend India as a good place for direct turnarounds.
I just arrived on EY actually and was out in about 10 minutes (granted, in F so no major immigration queue and off plane quickly).
Old Jun 10, 2016, 4:09 pm

I have question on Domestic -> Intl transfer. I am about to book tickets for my family (wife+kids) from Nagpur - New York (via Mumbai). We have done in past in 2006 and 2009 when it was old airport and I remember we have collect luggage (T1), travel by bus to International terminal (T2) and re-checked-in baggage. It was very hectic and chaotic especially when we are with kids and enough baggage.
So now in new airport, even though their domestic may be landing at T2 (AI, or JA or so), do they still have to check out baggage, and re-checkin (though in same terminal - airlines may be different). I saw such on csia FAQ. (http://www.csia.in/passenger/faqs.aspx - Transit section)
Does anyone has clear information/experience on this ? I have to be little cautious as my wife and kids have to be ready for this challenge (especially collecting and checking-in baggage again)
Any confirm information will be very helpful
Old Jun 12, 2016, 7:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
My experience yesterday...land MAA-BOM on Jet, go up one level. The check in counter assignments are not shown so I wander until I find the UA counter for BOM-EWR.

The UA Premiere line concierge has my GVK invite already printed with my name. ^

The UA premiere line nanny gives me the lecture about bags

Finally the check in agent tears up my BPs issued by Jet and gives me UA stock BPs. He also checks bag stubs to make sure they are in his system

I get to use Biz security and immigration. Then off to the GVK lounge. Oh my, from a purely food perspective this tops the SKL in SIN T3, IMHO. Furnishings are top notch too. Free back and foot massage, ample seating areas, multiple bars. Slumming it in the EWR UC upon landing was sobering.

The only suggestion is to have more chairs with USB/power within arms reach.

All in all it is a painless transfer outbound - I will try the reverse next month.

And BOM is really really nice. And That lounge!
Old Jun 12, 2016, 11:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Glad to hear! Now that T2 is fully up and running, the transfer and lounge experience is right up there with the best in the world.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 2:50 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Nothing needed in T2 wrt luggage: you will check it in with Jet/AI in Nagpur and it will be automatically transferred to the connecting carrier. But this only works with 9W and AI. Other airlines will not offer this service.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Anish
Glad to hear! Now that T2 is fully up and running, the transfer and lounge experience is right up there with the best in the world.
True. We just wrapped up a family multi-city trip to various destinations & my family, who got to visit various lounges (United, Lufthansa, Singapore) at all transit airports gave the verdict that GVK is the best. Although, the food falls short of expectations for foreign travelers as they do not get much choice other than Indian & Indo-Chinese food. But that gets compensated by the bars. Someone mentioned that the Turkish Airlines lounge in Istanbul is even better than GVK. I haven't visited yet but would love to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.