Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2015, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by iandi
About to pull the trigger on this flight for late Dec. Both segments are with Jet airways with 30 minute stop over in Mumbai. I'm assuming since this all with the Jet Airways website, its potentially doable? Hopefully no need to go through security and bags check through? close by in the same terminal? Is this crazy to think that it would work out?
same or separate tickets????
Old Sep 28, 2015, 4:31 am

Programs: AC*E50, Accor plat, Fairmont Plat, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Keyser
same or separate tickets????

Same ticket - jet 404, 416 in December

Last edited by iandi; Sep 28, 2015 at 4:39 am Reason: Added flight info
Old Sep 28, 2015, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by iandi
Same ticket
then you won't have a problem....
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:39 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If its on the same ticket you are protected and will be rebooked onto the next 9W flight for free in case you are delayed. Just make sure there is another fllight to JAI that day...
Old Oct 5, 2015, 10:55 am

Hi - I am traveling from US to Emirates to Mumbai. My connecting flight is from Mumbai to Kochi on Indigo (separate Emirates and Indigo tickets). i have 4 hours between 2 flights.

My questions:
1) Will they let me use the airport shuttle from International to Domestic terminal because i wont have boarding pass (unless they let me do checkin at international terminal)
2) Will I be able to check my bag within international terminal for Indigo or take it on bus to domestic terminal
3) I am meeting a friend in Mumbai who is coming along to Kochi. Where can I meet him at Domestic terminal?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by PEEEEVEEEE
Hi - I am traveling from US to Emirates to Mumbai. My connecting flight is from Mumbai to Kochi on Indigo (separate Emirates and Indigo tickets). i have 4 hours between 2 flights.

My questions:
1) Will they let me use the airport shuttle from International to Domestic terminal because i wont have boarding pass (unless they let me do checkin at international terminal)
2) Will I be able to check my bag within international terminal for Indigo or take it on bus to domestic terminal
3) I am meeting a friend in Mumbai who is coming along to Kochi. Where can I meet him at Domestic terminal?
1. Yes. Print-out of e-ticket will suffice.
2. Yes - just make sure that you don't completely exit international terminal. once out you can not return for security purpose, but you will be OK as there is very clear signage indicating where to go for domestic transfers. I believe Indigo has counter there unless something changed very recently in which case someone will correct me soon.
3. Once you are in domestic terminal you will have access to main ticketing/checkin hall where your friend will get in if coming directly for domestic flight. Its not that big and you will be OK.

Enjoy your visit!
Old Oct 5, 2015, 7:05 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
As soon as you clear customs, look on the left hand side and you should see a sign for domestic checkin and baggage drop. Indigo's counter is right next to jet and you should see people lining up there ..
You can check in and drop of bags here and then you head one level down for the intl. - domestic shuttle

In case your running late, due to a delay, you could always ditch the shuttle and jus grab a taxi and you'd be there in a jiffy .. Taxi counter is right next to the shuttle waiting area ..
Old Oct 6, 2015, 9:55 am

Thank you. All your responses are terrific. Does the taxi go from outside international terminal to outside of domestic terminal or does it take the same route as the shuttle? Please advise.

Thank you once again.

Originally Posted by quarryking
As soon as you clear customs, look on the left hand side and you should see a sign for domestic checkin and baggage drop. Indigo's counter is right next to jet and you should see people lining up there ..
You can check in and drop of bags here and then you head one level down for the intl. - domestic shuttle

In case your running late, due to a delay, you could always ditch the shuttle and jus grab a taxi and you'd be there in a jiffy .. Taxi counter is right next to the shuttle waiting area ..
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by PEEEEVEEEE
Thank you. All your responses are terrific. Does the taxi go from outside international terminal to outside of domestic terminal or does it take the same route as the shuttle? Please advise.

Thank you once again.
Outside
Old Oct 9, 2015, 1:57 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Even the shuttle nowadays uses the outside route since the new highway is functional.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 8:10 pm

Programs: QRPC-Silver & Star-Alliance
Originally Posted by rrrrrlw
Wondering if anyone could shed some light on international-international connections at mumbai airport? will be arriving from london into mumbai at 11:15pm with jet airways, departing flight to bangkok at 01:05am also with jet airways. Its on a single ticket and will ensure my luggage is checked through. In light of this, is this transfer time long enough to make my connecting flights? Also, am i right in thinking the procedure is to disembark the plane, check in at the transfer desk, go through security, then just proceed to my gate? Just checking i'm not missing anything out here. (NOTE: jet airways states on their website that international boarding closes 60 minutes prior to departure - bit worried about this)

Thanks
Yes, no problem at all, I did this same connection only last month, without difficulty.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 7:49 pm

Hi, I am flying from Newark to Delhi via Mumbai by Air India.

What will I need to do at Mumbai airport to reach the connecting flight. Both flights will be from Terminal 2 after the recent change made by air India.

Will I get my luggage directly in Delhi? It's a 2.30hrs layover time, will it reach Delhi in the flight that I take from Mumbai?
Old Oct 18, 2015, 8:01 pm

Programs: Delta 1 MM, Platinum. Marriott-Hilton Gold
Pros, I need some info and tips of what to expect. I have never transited in India, and not arrived departed from BOM in more than 10 years. Mainly Delhi or in Winter - Bangalore to avoid the fog delays at DEL.
I land in BOM next weekend by Air China from PEK to BOM at 1.00 AM and then connect to Jet Airways 5.15 AM flight to Abu Dhabi. I do have a visa for India but I am presuming as an international transit passenger (same ticket for PEK-BOM-AUH), I do not have to exit customs/immigration? Right? I am assuming my baggage will be checked through all the way to AUH or do I have to collect and recheck my bags? Anyone does this trip or similar can you please throw some light on what to expect and any advice or precautions to take etc.? Will some food joints be open at that hour air-side? Thanks
Old Oct 19, 2015, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by upnorth
Pros, I need some info and tips of what to expect. I have never transited in India, and not arrived departed from BOM in more than 10 years. Mainly Delhi or in Winter - Bangalore to avoid the fog delays at DEL.
I land in BOM next weekend by Air China from PEK to BOM at 1.00 AM and then connect to Jet Airways 5.15 AM flight to Abu Dhabi. I do have a visa for India but I am presuming as an international transit passenger (same ticket for PEK-BOM-AUH), I do not have to exit customs/immigration? Right? I am assuming my baggage will be checked through all the way to AUH or do I have to collect and recheck my bags? Anyone does this trip or similar can you please throw some light on what to expect and any advice or precautions to take etc.? Will some food joints be open at that hour air-side? Thanks
you have nothing to worry about since you are on one ticket all the way to auh....you bags will be tagged to your final destination & you won't have to do immigration or customs in bom....
Old Oct 19, 2015, 7:39 am

Programs: Delta 1 MM, Platinum. Marriott-Hilton Gold
Thanks much Keyser.
Originally Posted by Keyser
you have nothing to worry about since you are on one ticket all the way to auh....you bags will be tagged to your final destination & you won't have to do immigration or customs in bom....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.