Wiki Posts
Search

Jet Airways, what gives

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM
Jet Airways, what gives

So I am travelling, GOI-BOM-CDG-JFK-YYZ. (Don't aks me why, and no, I don't get enough extra miles to justify this). Call up jet to confirm that they will honour my STE+ allowance, and they say as long as its on the same ticket, they will. Just ask me to carry a print out from the air france website, stating that i have the additional allowance.

So here I am, this morning at GOI, ready to check-in, when they tell me that they are going to charge me $150 for the second bag. Same ticket, have the printout from AF, and my medallion card. The check-in agent refuses to honour it, the manager refuses it, rightly pointing out that while I will get away, if senior staff audits, she will be in trouble if they don't agree with her/me.

Now, kudos to her, she did manage to resolve it, and for obvious reasons I will not mention how. At BOM, AF checkin agents are perplexed as to why it was not honoured (but does not seem to be uncommon with 9W). Leads to my question, is Jet expected to honour the allowance, if all the segments are on the same ticket, being connections?

In any case, lesson for the future, AI seems to actually honour it, even if its on different tickets, so I guess I will move from 9W to AI for the connecting segments.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dhavalgiani
So I am travelling, GOI-BOM-CDG-JFK-YYZ. (Don't aks me why, and no, I don't get enough extra miles to justify this). Call up jet to confirm that they will honour my STE+ allowance, and they say as long as its on the same ticket, they will. Just ask me to carry a print out from the air france website, stating that i have the additional allowance.

So here I am, this morning at GOI, ready to check-in, when they tell me that they are going to charge me $150 for the second bag. Same ticket, have the printout from AF, and my medallion card. The check-in agent refuses to honour it, the manager refuses it, rightly pointing out that while I will get away, if senior staff audits, she will be in trouble if they don't agree with her/me.

Now, kudos to her, she did manage to resolve it, and for obvious reasons I will not mention how. At BOM, AF checkin agents are perplexed as to why it was not honoured (but does not seem to be uncommon with 9W). Leads to my question, is Jet expected to honour the allowance, if all the segments are on the same ticket, being connections?

In any case, lesson for the future, AI seems to actually honour it, even if its on different tickets, so I guess I will move from 9W to AI for the connecting segments.
I am glad that it worked out for you. But here are a few things to remember.

Your Gold Medallion on Delta, or even DM for that matter, means nothing as far as 9W is concerned as, I am sure you know they are not a part of SkyTeam.

When travel inv0lves more than one airline, it is becoming more common for most restrictive rules to be applied to the entire Journey.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:19 pm
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI

Here are the Jet Airways baggage arrangements with partner airlines: http://www.jetairways.com/EN/IN/Bagg...rAirlines.aspx

No special arrangement with AF it seems. And while Jet was good at freebies earlier, everything is chargeable now.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:24 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.822 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Originally Posted by A2A

Here are the Jet Airways baggage arrangements with partner airlines: http://www.jetairways.com/EN/IN/Bagg...rAirlines.aspx

No special arrangement with AF it seems. And while Jet was good at freebies earlier, everything is chargeable now.
There's nothing wrong with not honouring the AF baggage allowance.

But its the inconsistency of information that's irritating. And we see it all the time. Ask three people, you will get four answers. And a fifth at check-in.

Last edited by jasepl; Jul 10, 2012 at 11:33 pm
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:29 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by A2A

That's not relevant. Since AF was the most significant carrier on this itinerary, and it was all on 1 ticket, 9W has to honor AF's baggage allowance.
Originally Posted by jasepl
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.822 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

There's nothing wrong with not honouring the AF baggage allowance.

But its the inconsistency of information that's irritating. And we see it all the time. Ask three people, you will get four answers. And a fifth at check-in.
There most certainly is something wrong... 9W is not complying to IATA Resolution 302...

Last edited by PVDtoDEL; Jul 10, 2012 at 11:35 pm
Old Jul 11, 2012, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
that seems to be the basic problem with jet right now....
Old Jul 11, 2012, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
That's not relevant. Since AF was the most significant carrier on this itinerary, and it was all on 1 ticket, 9W has to honor AF's baggage allowance.

There most certainly is something wrong... 9W is not complying to IATA Resolution 302...
That was my understanding as well, also the understanding of most of the folks (jet call-centre, AF, Delta) I talked to as well. I guess however, Jet doesn't really bother about IATA agreements.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser
that seems to be the basic problem with jet right now....
Agreed. I don't mind paying the extra bit, but inform me everytime I ask you about it. Not at check-in, when I plan with the information given to me. (well, I would just have been in trouble with the girlfriend if I did not get the second bag, but I could have survived that ;-) )
Old Jul 11, 2012, 2:34 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
That was my understanding as well, also the understanding of most of the folks (jet call-centre, AF, Delta) I talked to as well. I guess however, Jet doesn't really bother about IATA agreements.
Unless they want to drop their membership, they don't really have much choice...
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:17 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC

IATA Resolution 302 is airline standard allowance only, doesn't take into account elite extra baggage.

eg. If AF baggage allowance is 1 bag of 32 kg, and 9W is 1 bag of 20 kg, 9W will honor the 1 bag of 32 kg according to IATA 302. The fact that his Skyteam Elite+ gives a second bag on AF is irrelevant to IATA 302. There is no obligation on 9W's part to honor the extra bag in this case.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Savage25
IATA Resolution 302 is airline standard allowance only, doesn't take into account elite extra baggage.

eg. If AF baggage allowance is 1 bag of 32 kg, and 9W is 1 bag of 20 kg, 9W will honor the 1 bag of 32 kg according to IATA 302. The fact that his Skyteam Elite+ gives a second bag on AF is irrelevant to IATA 302. There is no obligation on 9W's part to honor the extra bag in this case.
Ohh, you're right. I missed the fact that he was using his STE+ allowance in the OP.

I'm surprised though - does AF actually only allow 1 bag for India-USA sectors?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:44 am

Ohh, you're right. I missed the fact that he was using his STE+ allowance in the OP.

I'm surprised though - does AF actually only allow 1 bag for India-USA sectors?
And here we go again. An emphatic, authoritative declaration, rubbished by someone else, followed by an "oh yeah, but..." And then punctuated by "AI's still fantastic".

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Seriously, heed the advice so many have offered, so many times. For your own sake.

Last edited by jasepl; Jul 11, 2012 at 10:45 am
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:53 am

And here we go again. An emphatic, authoritative declaration, rubbished by someone else, followed by an "oh yeah, but..."
Fair enough. I should re-read the post before I respond. My bad.
And then punctuated by "AI's still fantastic".
Where did I mention AI on this thread?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:33 am
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SGH-T959V Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Correct. Some airlines state specifucally that if a part if your travel is on another carrier, more restrictive rules of thise two carriers will apply. It even pplies to elites when a portion of thier travel is on an airline that's a member of tje alliance.
Jet did not have to accept AF's baggage allowance.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
The check-in agent refuses to honour it, the manager refuses it, rightly pointing out that while I will get away, if senior staff audits, she will be in trouble if they don't agree with her/me.
OT but the 9W Goa airport manager is a family friend and one of the best airline staff I've ever met in the world. I've seen her going out of the way so many times to help pax and serve their interest first..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.