Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Rewards Network (formerly iDine)
Reload this Page >

iDrink (miles from places that don't even serve food)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2005, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Starwood Plat

I've dropped into two places lately, one listed as a "sushi" restaurant, the other as "pub fare" and I'm pretty sure one has no kitchen and definitely sure the other one doesn't (I asked). Running up a bar tab is a fine way to rack up miles as far as I'm concerned--but I wonder if this is a creative way to bring bars into the iDine system without advertising it.

Anyone else run into places like that?

Last edited by William2005; Aug 17, 2005 at 11:54 pm
Old Aug 18, 2005, 1:09 am

Welcome to Hollywood...

Originally Posted by William2005
I've dropped into two places lately, one listed as a "sushi" restaurant, the other as "pub fare" and I'm pretty sure one has no kitchen and definitely sure the other one doesn't (I asked). Running up a bar tab is a fine way to rack up miles as far as I'm concerned--but I wonder if this is a creative way to bring bars into the iDine system without advertising it.

Anyone else run into places like that?
In my neighborhood, a large percentage of places are like that...especially the 20 milers. Their mask themselves as 'restaurant' by day (with mediocre food at best), and nightclub by night.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Local/state liquor laws may make it either easier to obtain a full liquor license if a food extablishment, and/or a requirement that an establishment serving booze also serve food. Some places even have been known to give food away to satisfy this requirement.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KhalilSheikh
In my neighborhood, a large percentage of places are like that...especially the 20 milers. Their mask themselves as 'restaurant' by day (with mediocre food at best), and nightclub by night.
That reminds me that a couple of listings in New York City match your description, though I didn't check them out in person.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 10:39 am

That reminds me that a couple of listings in New York City match your description, though I didn't check them out in person.
^ Oh! Please do share which one's your thinking about! We will be visiting New York and are trying to rack up some miles to the program while there.

Its tough for us since there are no iDine participants in Quebec.
We can only max out when going to the USA. So a few easy one's to get a brew in there between eats would just be "burp-fect"! ha!

Thanks!
Old Aug 18, 2005, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Well, I'd have to say that a mileage-offering club is probably not 'the place to be' in NY. Plus there's the potential issue of a cash cover charge at the door.

Definitely check the web site right before you go, I'm amazed how often NY restaurants drop in and out of the program. A nice diner called Comfort is one that seems to be in or out randomly. Lots of choices in NY for sure. I like the steaks at George O'Neill's in the east 50s.
Originally Posted by voyageuse
^ Oh! Please do share which one's your thinking about! We will be visiting New York and are trying to rack up some miles to the program while there.

Its tough for us since there are no iDine participants in Quebec.
We can only max out when going to the USA. So a few easy one's to get a brew in there between eats would just be "burp-fect"! ha!

Thanks!
Old Aug 18, 2005, 8:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
There are 4 or 5 new places near my home (SAT) that are bars that do not serve food. We would go if they had some kind of food. I called each of them to verify.

On the Idine website they say their cuisine is Pub Fare or American.

My take is that the Idine sales people have been encouraged to call on bars during the last several months.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 9:47 pm

Well, I'd have to say that a mileage-offering club is probably not 'the place to be' in NY. Plus there's the potential issue of a cash cover charge at the door.

Definitely check the web site right before you go, I'm amazed how often NY restaurants drop in and out of the program. A nice diner called Comfort is one that seems to be in or out randomly. Lots of choices in NY for sure. I like the steaks at George O'Neill's in the east 50s.
William 2005, thanks for sharing your pointers. I definately will check the resto's list before I leave. Cheers!
Old Aug 25, 2005, 7:54 pm

Programs: HHonors DM, Airtran Elite, Delta SM
I have a few "pub fare" places near me. Hamburgers and hotdogs are pub fare I guess
Old Aug 25, 2005, 8:51 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Originally Posted by paradocs

My take is that the Idine sales people have been encouraged to call on bars during the last several months.
Fabulous, as it is easier to drink $15 of bad booze than to eat $15 of bad food.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I have only ever "sent back" a drink once. At an iDine joint as it turned out - their "well" gin was so bad I could not force myself to down more than a couple of swallows of a gin & tonic. Manager instructed bartender to give me a Beefeater replacement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.