Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Great iDine Restaurants Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2004, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
The old printed iDine guides used to have a disclaimer that for parties of 7 and more, one must check with iDine first. I'd call them to see if that's still true before a savvy restaurant manager legitimately blocks the (potentially whopping) idine credit from going through.
Thanks for the tip. The management seemed pretty eager to set up for our group, most of whom are iDiner's anyway. We always negotiate who's going to get the reward and usually divy it up amongst 4 or 5 (one check per table). Haven't had any problems so far but haven't been to Inka Grill before. We'll have about 30 so we'll see

Pat
Old Apr 9, 2004, 6:47 pm

mco

MCO - FL, Orlando, Altamonte Springs, Aubergine Bistro-French
MCO - FL, Orlando, Casselberry, Coloroado Fondue Company-American

Aubergine Bistro has some of the best food at reasonable prices, in the area. Coloroado Fondue has a "hot rock" to cook on at your table.
Old Apr 10, 2004, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Thanks, tinnub, added!
Old Apr 10, 2004, 2:42 pm

Great thread and postings!

Anything in greater Miami and Southern Florida?
Old Apr 29, 2004, 12:02 pm

more...

This is a great idea! Thanks

MSP - Axels - Bonfire - Eagan - woodfired food - cool bar (no miles on w.ends)
MSP - 5-8 - Minneapolis - great little burger dive
MSP - Celts Irish Pub - used to go their all the time and now they are on idine - what a bonus!
MSP - JD Hoyt - I have not been but have heard they have great food.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 3:04 pm
Original Member

San Rafael, California (Marin County,north of San Francisco - SFO to those who understand only airport codes): ThaiHouse. Tiny restaurant, large menu, excellent sauces and service.

Last edited by pgary; Apr 30, 2004 at 3:05 pm Reason: I can't spell.
Old May 2, 2004, 12:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Post SMF: AAdvantage Dining by Rewards Network spots, and awards, as of Aug, 2008

gardener :-: - thanks for starting, and now offering to update, this thread!

N.B. I will post Gardener's requested format at the top of this page, and then add my comments andnotes in the portion below - which will reflect Gardener's list.

LAST UPDATED: August 2008

I'm keeping my info on gardener's excellent list to his format pretty much, but want to include some extended information (and a few other restos) for those who will be dining in Sacramento CA and the immediate vicinity (nearest airport code, SMF.) N.B. These are ALL currently 1 (enrolled,) 3 (engaged) or "5 for elite members..." usually with no limits on the number of monthly visits, maximum of $600 monthly countable toward miles award (newer restos have a $1,000 limit.) Exceptions (days, number of dines, etc. noted in listing.

These are merely my impressions; I have eaten more than once at each, unless otherwise noted. Since iDine's lsitings will change more often than my changes, check it out on the web site before you go... (These listings are for the AA / AAdvantage Dining by Rewards Network version... "AAdvantage Dining by Rewards Network." Bon appetit!

55 Degrees - Wine, Continental bistro - esp. mussels and frites Belgium-style! Sacramento downtown, 555 Capitol Mall. Restaurant 55 Degrees. Open Table!

My local favorite for an upscale meal, opened by the previous owners of (now defunct) Christophes, which became Baccaras, with a very skilled Belgian chef, a top-notch manager-cum-sommelier and food to die for. Near the Capitol and on the street with big law firms, with Brussels-good delicious moules et frites, excellent dinners. 50% off parking evenings (lot-specific.) The wines selection is great, the markups low. Best service in Sacramento, IMO.

Arpeggio Wine & Bistro - Mediterranean, Eclectic (midtown / east Sacramento)

Sunday brunch, Closed Mondays, service sometimes slow, but food well prepared. Neighborhood restaurant with flourishes.

Bali Wine Bar and Grill, Californian / Balinese (midtown area)

The menu offers a wide variety of wines, and a varied selection of foods including Californian and Indonesian - Balinese, owned and operated by a local man and his wife from Kuta. A funky-homey feel, friendly service and a unique, tasty variety of Indonesian foods. Sacto Environment (Sanitation) dings them minorly on occasion.)

Bridges On The River - Strange Cali-Cajun combo food served; western county on the Sacramento River.

Picturesque neo-Mediterranean / Mexican "zona roja" looking place overlooking the Sacramento River, variable service (owner sometimes eating lunch at check-in desk!) and improved Californio-Cajun food. Can be a nice meal overlooking the river. The chef has gone, the cooking has been turned over to the cooks, they have added some steaks to the menu and gotten rid of most of the orchids they used to decorate every plate with.

Gönül’s J Street Cafe - American / Mediterranean / Turkish (midtown, J St between Cal State U and downtown)

Pleasant café with good American, Continental and some Turkish food and pizza from their wood-fired oven, decent wines, a few Turkish delicacies, mostly fresh and organic produce. Some street-side covered dining as well as inside. J Street in the 40's. Jazz nights, weekend brunch. Recommended.

JR's Texas Barbecue - JUST barbecue (Otto Circle, near old airport.)

This is an old dump of a wooden warehouse setting, but has excellent barbecue and a huge catering business. They have been in previously, out and are now back. Closed Sundays, they do not accept AMEX.

Pho Bac Hoa Viet - Vietnamese & Chinese (Several locations throughout area, including Folsom, Roseville, Davis.)

The ambiance is informal, service is basic - the intent is to get you in and out, not get you to fall in love with the staff. Food is excellent: fresh ingredients properly cooked and in huge proportions. Two can share one order easily; an amazingly huge and varied menu. Many Vietnamese eat here, and you can often see Hmong in traditional dress in the Stockton Blvd. venue - you can bet it's good.

Redrum Burger - Burger joint (Davis)

A UC Davis hangout, an old-fashioned burger joint, originally the famously-named "Murder Burger", has serious burgers (including ostrich) and spiced, greasy fries in a seriously funky inside - outside atmosphere and drive-up window. Casual, inexpensive. Does not award miles on AMEX purchases.

Seasons - European, French, Seafood (Downtown Davis)

Parking can be a bear - but the food is very nicely done, good service - on the pricey side. Closed Mondays.

Sky Sushi - Japanese / Sushi (El Dorado Hills)
Spacious comfortable place - best chirashi sushi I have had in some time!

Three Monkeys - PanAsian (downtown Sacramento)

Packed for lunch, informal, innovative sushi and other Korean, Japanese and pan-Asian food; good bar, various ales on draft and in bottle. Service can occasionally be erratic.

You can see how sanitary and safe these restaurants are for dining. The County of Sacramento Environmental Management Department inspects and issues placards to all restaurants within Sacramento County. They maintain a searchable database where one can check out specific restaurants' ratings and any deficits at this site.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 15, 2008 at 1:54 pm Reason: updating information August 2008
Old May 2, 2004, 5:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
San Antonio

I have been meaning to add to this thread since it started. Kudos to gardener! SAT has lost many great Idine restaurants. We used to have over 80 and most were decent. Now we are down to 63 and a few of them are real dogs. I can recommend the following. Note that all are northside unless otherwises stated. As you might expect there are a disproportionate number of Mexican restaurants.

SAT - TX, San Antonio (Downtown)- Aldaco's Mexican Cuisine - Mexican
(This is actually removed from downtown by a few blocks. Located in Sunset Station)

SAT - TX, San Antonio (Downtown) - Biga on the Banks - Eclectic
(This restaurant has a well known chef and gets good reviews. It has a prime Riverwalk location. I have never been because the menu is too "weird" according to my husband and teenagers.)

SAT - TX, San Antonio - Bistro Vatel - French

SAT - TX, San Antonio - Boardwalk Bistro - Mediterranean (which is not my favorite but my friends choose this place)

SAT - TX, San Antonio - Casarita - Mexican

SAT - TX, San Antonio - Crumpets - Continental/French
(in the 80's it was one of the best restaurants in town. The chef has gotten lazy or distracted; however it is in a pretty setting)

SAT - TX, San Antonio - Fratelli's Italian Corner - Italian
(This place is a bit of a dive, the food is decent and plentiful. Salad and one plate is 3-4 meals for me.)

SAT - TX, San Antonio, NW - Fujiya Japenese Garden - Japenese

SAT - TX, San Antonio - Habaneros Grill - Mexican

SAT - TX, San Antonio, West of downtown- Karam's - Mexican
(Some of the very best TexMex in the world. Great chalupas. Not in a very nice neighborhood. Probably a 10-12 minute cab ride from downtown.)

SAT - TX, San Antonio - The Lodge - New American
(I have not been yet. I am going with one of those discounted restaurant.com certificates soon. I'll try to report back. I have heard raves and zings)

SAT - TX, San Antonio - Los Barrios - Mexican
(Award winning restaurant, one of the best in town!)

SAT - TX, San Antonio, downtown and northside - Luciano's - Italian

SAT - TX, San Antonio - Matisse - Seafood
(I have been once and have been wanting to go back. I haven't been back yet because it is far north and I can't get Mr. Paradocs to drive far for dinner - a waste in time in his book.)

SAT - TX, San Antonio - Picante Grill - Mexican
(Excellent! I eat here once a week or so since it is very convenient for me.)

SAT - TX, San Antonio - Soluna - Mexican
(A pretty restaurant, good food, a bit more expensive than other typical Mexican restaurants)

Let's keep the reviews coming!

Last edited by paradocs; May 2, 2004 at 6:30 pm Reason: punctuation
Old May 2, 2004, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
OK OK here is SEA list as a post!

SEA – WA, Seattle - 35TH STREET BISTRO In Fremont neighborhood; one of the nicer Rewards Network joints I've seen. Emphasis on wine, with "free" tastings on Thursdays. No miles on Friday.

SEA – WA, Seattle - 5 POINT CAFE Bar & Grill near Pacific Science Center and Experience Music Project. Diner food with stated $10 minimum on credit cards.

SEA – WA, Seattle - BADA LOUNGE Ultra-trendy hangout in gentrified Belltown. I went for a drink during a promo to check the place out: $8 during Happy Hour seemed a tad pricey to me!

SEA - WA, Seattle - BOMBAY GRILL Located in University District - good value. Their lunch buffet is one of the few Indian places in town not to offer such "exotic" items as potato salad and cole slaw.
Edited to add: Recent waiter thought splitting tab for dining credits was kinda funny/kewl, and offered to run through $1 tabs if needed!

SEA - WA, Seattle - CASPIAN GRILL University District - Persian cuisine. My one visit went very well.

SEA - WA, Seattle - CHINA HARBOR and CHINA JADE are both mediocre experiences far from downtown. Two to avoid.

SEA – WA, Seattle - CHINOISE (Boston St.) At top of Queen Anne Hill – nice food and pleasant surroundings outside in good weather. 45th Street location in Wallingford neighborhood similar, but less "cheerful" atmosphere. No miles Friday/Saturday at QA location.

SEA – WA, Seattle - GINGERLIME Asian (primarily Vietnamese) joint behind Seattle University. Neighborhood kinda tough to describe but Capitol Hill comes the closest. Very pleasant staff, but average food in an out-of-the-way location.

SEA – WA, Seattle - ICON GRILL Downtown behind Westlake Center/Nordstrom's flagship store. Caters to business crowd so slightly pricy for tourists, but is recommended with that in mind.

SEA – WA, Seattle - ISLANDER Downtown just below Pike Place Market off 1st Ave. (at the end of Union St. where it overlooks the bay). Nice terrace overlooking Elliott Bay during summer. They appear to raise their menu prices at dinner; lunch is a better buy. No miles Friday/Saturday.

SEA – WA, Seattle - JASMINE Downtown next to W Hotel and Public Library. Expense account prices for food that seemed to taste the same to me when I went back a second time, ordering a different main course. Recommended for drink/snack for promo visit credit - otherwise, AYOR.

SEA – WA, Seattle - JULIA's (two locations: Capitol Hill & Wallingford) Bar and bar food okay; restaurant food not recommened. Note: Visa/MC only - no miles on Sunday.

SEA – WA, Seattle - KOLBEH Located on 1st Avenue several blocks south of Safeco Field/Seahawks stadium. I went for lunch and found the experience interesting as I wasn't familiar with Persian food, but the portions a bit small; however, those were the lunch specials so cannot comment on size of a la carte offerings. Still, the service was fantastic and the food well-prepared. Recommended with above caveat. One of the few 1x/month holdouts.

SEA – WA, Seattle - KOZUE Sushi joint in Wallingford. My one visit was fine; however, fills up quickly, even in warm weather with outside seating.

SEA – WA, Seattle - LONGHORN BBQ Mediocre chain outlet in Pioneer Square. OK if you're not expecting much, want someplace informal in that area ,and could use the dining credit.

SEA – WA, Seattle - PATTY COYNE'S Attitudinal Irish pub in out-of-the-way location. I went there once because I needed a couple of bucks to top off a promo and was curious about it. I had a beer and will likely never return.

SEA – WA, Seattle - ROSEBUD Part of the Capitol Hill "lounge" scene. There is a (limited) menu, of sorts, but it is primarily a place to meet for drinks.

SEA – WA, Seattle - SEA MONSTER LOUNGE I came to Wallingford, I saw, I exited. As per the name, the ambiance could be described as "murky".

SEA – WA, Seattle - SESTOS Somewhat tough to find down behind Pike Place Market. Business appears to be primarily catering, but they do have a retail operation there as well. Not much seating if you are with a group.

SEA - WA, Seattle - TREASURE THAI Out-of-the-way up in Wallingford. Pleasant staff, with OK but not great food. One of the few 1x/month holdouts.

SEA - WA, Seattle - ZAO Small Asian West Coast chain's Seattle outlet in University Village shopping centre. A "casual" P F Chang's maybe?

Edited to remove drop-outs, etc.

Last edited by Points Scrounger; Dec 10, 2005 at 1:19 pm
Old May 2, 2004, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by paradocs
I have been meaning to add to this thread since it started. Kudos to gardener! SAT has lost many great Idine restaurants. We used to have over 80 and most were decent. Now we are down to 63 and a few of them are real dogs. I can recommend the following. Note that all are northside unless otherwises stated. As you might expect there are a disproportionate number of Mexican restaurants.

SAT - TX, San Antonio (Downtown) - Biga on the Banks - Eclectic
(This restaurant has a well known chef and gets good reviews. It has a prime Riverwalk location. I have never been because the menu is too "weird" according to my husband and teenagers.)

Antelope in juniper sauce is weird? Sounds like a waste of good gin to me! However, the Grand Marnier with Creme Anglaise looked great! As a side note on weird/eclectic - I don't eat beets, but my friend absolutely refused to try the borscht at the Purple Dot here. He liked the Indonesian nasi goreng a lot though.

SAT - TX, San Antonio - The Lodge - New American
(I have not been yet. I am going with one of those discounted restaurant.com certificates soon. I'll try to report back. I have heard raves and zings)

I'm thinking of the exact same thing with Bandol here in Seattle - hope it's not too snooty and iDine doesn't block the tab for cert usage - assuming they actually let me use it!

Let's keep the reviews coming!
Old May 2, 2004, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nantucket, MA (ACK)

ACK - MA - Cape Cod/South Shore - Outer Cape and Islands - Cambridge St. Great BBQ (yes, I know - BBQ on Nantucket???) but watch their billing practices as my visit came through posted-dated nearly a year later!

ACK - MA - Cape Cod/South Shore - Outer Cape and Islands - Schooner's Convenient location at auto ferry wharf -- captive audience prices. OK if you're in the area and want to eat, but not worth a specific trip.
Old May 3, 2004, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Thanks for all the new postings folks.

I will update the master post on the front page but it will have to wait until I have a little time - I took my 7 year old boy camping this weekend and they didn't have wifi at the campground yet.
Old May 3, 2004, 5:40 pm

MEM-TN, Midtown Memphis-Glass Onion-"International Fusion Bar-Restaurant"

Indescribable yet very tasty cuisine. Try the peanut butter pork chops or the taso-stuffed shrimp. Great patio in nice weather. Located in the interesting Cooper-Young neighborhood. Good live music some nights (can be loud!). Service informal, sometimes slow. Food is worth waiting for. $1.50 bottles of Pabst Blue Ribbon!

MEM has a lousy IDINE selection-Glass Onion is a notable exception!

UPDATE 8/11/04-Glass Onion has dropped out of IDINE, so the MEM selection is now that much worse!

UPDATE 5/25/05-Glass Onion has been sold and will soon become "Celtic Crossing Irish Pub"

Last edited by Duckman; May 26, 2005 at 3:48 pm
Old May 3, 2004, 7:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
"Antelope in juniper sauce is weird? Sounds like a waste of good gin to me! However, the Grand Marnier with Creme Anglaise looked great!"

Points Scrounger:Yes, antelope in juniper sauce is weird for me too. But, I would probably try it for the miles while my guys won't.

Seriously, thank you for the SEA dining guide! I know that took alot of your time to compose. Please let me know if you come to SAT, I'd like to buy you that gin at a place where it won't be wasted! (From the looks of my list that means we'll have to combine it with Mexican )

Last edited by paradocs; May 3, 2004 at 7:39 pm Reason: FT wouldn't fully load
Old May 3, 2004, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ummm .... bad news

Originally Posted by Duckman
MEM-TN, Midtown Memphis-Glass Onion-"International Fusion Bar-Restaurant"

Indescribable yet very tasty cuisine. Try the peanut butter pork chops or the taso-stuffed shrimp. Great patio in nice weather. Located in the interesting Cooper-Young neighborhood. Good live music some nights (can be loud!). Service informal, sometimes slow. Food is worth waiting for. $1.50 bottles of Pabst Blue Ribbon!

MEM has a lousy IDINE selection-Glass Onion is a notable exception!

I just did a search for the entire state of TN and no Glass Onion. Are the peanut butter porkchops worth it without miles (as much as anything can be that is)?

Sure you didn't mean to recommend Bubba's Alehouse? Or maybe Senses - The Night Club [sic]?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.