Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Rewards Network (formerly iDine)
Reload this Page >

Any reason to not use iDine over loyalty affiliated RN programs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2012, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Looking at the various programs for iDine/RN, it seems that they pay out 15% for the top tier vs. 5 miles/$ for most airline programs. Are there any downsides to iDine over RN? Does the top tier automatically roll over as long as I spend $750/year on the program, or do I start from the bottom tier of 5% and have to work my way up every year, regardless of what I spent the year before?

Thanks!
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Only reason I dropped out of the cashback program was because I felt like it was influencing my dining decisions to the point where I was eating at a lot of crappy restaurants. I felt like the annual fee was forcing me that way. I felt like I had to "keep my spending up" to make the program worth it.

In my experience over the years, when I go seek out an iDine restaurant...or an Entertainment restaurant...or really any restaurant that needs discounts/coupons to get me in the door, there's a high probability that it's a lousy restaurant.

So I dropped the paid program and just went back to airline miles. Now I just know the 4 or 5 local iDine participants that I actually like and visit them when I feel like it. No real pressure to go there often, but earning a few miles is kind of nice. Occasionally, I'll be in another city and stumble upon some iDine miles by accident, and that's nice too.

I was big, big, big into iDine/Rewards Network about 10 years ago. Now I don't even think about it...usually just notice a few miles showing up after the fact.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 4:57 am
Original Poster

I'm not seeing an annual fee on their website, how much is it per year (and a source if possible please)? Thanks!
Old Sep 18, 2012, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
When I did it, the annual fee was $49...although I recall that your dining rebates can be used to pay the fee.

That was early 2000's. Could be completely different today... Maybe they dumped the fee model and reduced the rebates? If that's the case, then maybe I should be looking at it again...with no fee, then my earlier issues disappear and it's just a question of whether I value the miles or the rebates more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.