Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nascent FT / FlyerGuide RN Wiki discussions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2009, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Nascent FT / FlyerGuide RN Wiki discussions

Originally Posted by itsme
Came here to look for assessment's of DC (WAS or IAD/DCA/BWI) area iDine restaurants. Have to scan through posts, since not to successful searching on "WAS," "DCA," or "Washington." Any way this thread can be reassembled geographically, that is according to nearby airport(s) to make for easier perusal and discovery of restaurants that might justify the mile-seeking behavior?
Did you read the first post? The OP is supposed to update it periodically to incorporate the information added by each new post. However, it looks like it hasn't been updated for almost two years.

(This is another example of why it would be useful to have a "wikipost" feature on FT.)
Old Apr 11, 2009, 6:46 am

Rewards Network Wiki?

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Did you read the first post? The OP is supposed to update it periodically to incorporate the information added by each new post. However, it looks like it hasn't been updated for almost two years.

(This is another example of why it would be useful to have a "wikipost" feature on FT.)
I think a wiki on this is a great idea. I would be willing to help get it set up. I looked on the Flyertalk wiki and there seems to be a section for things other than airlines and FF/hotel programs. Does anyone know if we need to ask the Talk Board for permission to add a new category?
Old Jul 13, 2010, 6:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
A Wiki is a Wiki is a Wiki. It's OURS!

I'm a bit ham-handed, but I could handle making some additions and information on what I know and for areas I live in or visit. I think a Wiki is a TERRIFIC idea - we don't have to rely on any one person, it is what we make of it and anyone can modify, add, etc. as they either sign in or their IP address is noted for edits, etc. dstan is one who has done a great job on the AA Wiki, so maybe we can inveigle him to give some direction if anyone needs it.

I'd link and sticky, of course.

Originally Posted by Socaflyer
I think a wiki on this is a great idea. I would be willing to help get it set up. I looked on the Flyertalk wiki and there seems to be a section for things other than airlines and FF/hotel programs. Does anyone know if we need to ask the Talk Board for permission to add a new category?

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 23, 2010 at 8:14 pm Reason: edit in post title
Old Jul 13, 2010, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
What do we envision adding to our RN Wiki - restaurant details that don't appear in the listing (Ethiopian buffet, but they have forks and plain rice for the injera-phobic diner, etc.)
Old Jul 16, 2010, 1:39 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Happy to help This idea was discussed with another member some time ago, although I can't find the PM at the moment with the suggested organization scheme.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 1:05 pm

I think I was the one who sent the suggested organization. I will look for the PM and see if I can reforward.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:14 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by Socaflyer
I think I was the one who sent the suggested organization. I will look for the PM and see if I can reforward.
Just a public note that we're all back in sync now and if anyone is interested in being looped in, please let us know!
Old Jul 23, 2010, 8:11 pm

I'm back - only wish RN existed in Australia, as I have been enjoying some very good Aussie cooking and seafood in "Godzone" . I've taken the liberty of removing posts dealing with the nascent RN Wiki from the "Great iDine" sticky thread and moved them here, so we can discuss building a Wiki separately.

That would certainly make listings easy to keep updated - all members can add to / edit a Wiki, and we avoid having threads with outdated information and so many posts to wade through, adding what organization (regions, etc.) members wish to deploy.

I'm willing to participate and help, but there are others with better Wiki skills. Maybe I am stuck in a Moderator rut - first, GEnie (Travel and Scuba iirc), then CompuServe (Travel Forum) and for a while now, FlyerTalk.

Feel free to add your ideas here, or of course you can use PM...
Old Jul 24, 2010, 12:40 pm

To get the discussion going, below is a possible format for organization. I am not a wiki expert, so look forward to hearing the wisdom of those who have done more work with them.

Landing Page - This would include a program overview and the following categories:

1. Participating Programs
1.1 U.S. Airline Programs
1.2 International Airlines
1.3 Hotel Programs
2. Restaurants Recommended by Flyertalkers

We could then have subcategories by state, which would take the reader to a separate page for each state. Those could be further organized by cities.

3. Other Resources

This could include links to other useful sites, such as sites with restaurant reviews and Gary Steiger's Free Frequent Flyer Miles page.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 10:52 pm

Socaflyer, sounds good!

The additional, sometimes ancillary, programs could include OpenTable, where some RN restaurants take bookings from - 100 to 1,000 points per booking, equivalent to 2,500 pts = $25 in the form of a check, processed exactly like a Traveler's Cheque by any OpenTable restaurant, etc.

Maybe we can organize the cities by region, as RN organizes them, for ease of correlation between RN and the Wiki pages. Just a suggestion...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.