Wiki Posts
Search

IB's Coronavirus Rebooking Policy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
IB's Coronavirus Rebooking Policy

A double-edge sword, IB may rebook your flights at no charge for later this year, but note the broad blackout dates.

https://www.iberia.com/us/latest-update-of-our-flights/
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I'm not clear what this means: "Exceptions: Not valid for flights from April 3rd to 13rd; from April 30th to May 2nd; from June 16th to September 15th; and from October 9th to 12th."

Does that mean the re-booking cannot be to new flights in that period? Or does it mean currently booked flights in those periods are not eligible for free re-booking?
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
It should mean that you can't use the free change to select high demand dates such as Easter, summer holidays, etc.

But the converse is... IB don't appear to be planning to charge any difference in fare. Straight date change.

No idea if you would be allowed to pay an additional amount to travel during those peak dates.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 1:34 pm

Thanks - I'm being totally dense this morning.

Have looked at alternate dates in the fall and they are pricing out really cheap so hopefully no fare increase and a swap to new dates without change fee make this relatively neutral. Fingers crossed...
Old Mar 10, 2020, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
IB's policy just got a bit more flexible--now you can also cancel your flights and instead choose a voucher usable until December 31st.

If you have a ticket issued until March 6th to flight to Europe from the United States between March 1 and April 30, you have the ability to change the dates or request a bonus* for the amount of the ticket.
* The change of dates can be made to flight until November 30th, if you prefer the voucher, it will be valid until December 31st.
Exceptions: Not valid for flights from April 3rd to 13rd; from April 30th to May 2nd; from June 16th to September 15th; and from October 9th to 12th.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 8:54 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Iberia Oro, SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
Would be good if Iberia was being a bit more flexible regarding routes. Have some flights with them for the end of this month from Switzerland which I won't be able to take as Cathay Pacific cancelled and rescheduled flights I have to Zurich. Thus far Iberia isn't willing to make any changes to these for free. Not a massive issue but a slight level of flexibility for travel impacted by this would be helpful.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:04 pm

Programs: QF WP
I have a BLQ-MAD which is cancelled cancelled (ie not operating), presumably I don’t have to accept a voucher for that? And the black out dates or no? I’m looking at mid June for rebooking which I think probably puts me in them
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA, Latam, Delta, AA
do these apply to award bookings? and how does the bonus apply to award bookings?
How are these supposed to be done? online or calling? just tried online by going to "change flight" and got page not found.

..As always, Iberia doesnt make things very clear
Old Mar 11, 2020, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nancypants
I have a BLQ-MAD which is cancelled cancelled (ie not operating), presumably I don’t have to accept a voucher for that? And the black out dates or no? I’m looking at mid June for rebooking which I think probably puts me in them
If the flight doesn't operate, IB are obliged to offer a full refund.

Originally Posted by ga8riel
do these apply to award bookings? and how does the bonus apply to award bookings?
How are these supposed to be done? online or calling? just tried online by going to "change flight" and got page not found.

..As always, Iberia doesnt make things very clear
Award bookings can only be changed or cancelled by calling., Long wait times... Yesterday I had to pay the standard 25 euro fee to cancel.

It's uncertain whether IB+ are letting you cancel normally non-refundable partner awards.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:49 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Originally Posted by jackr27
Would be good if Iberia was being a bit more flexible regarding routes. Have some flights with them for the end of this month from Switzerland which I won't be able to take as Cathay Pacific cancelled and rescheduled flights I have to Zurich. Thus far Iberia isn't willing to make any changes to these for free. Not a massive issue but a slight level of flexibility for travel impacted by this would be helpful.
Please check IB status page regularly, information is changing almost hourly. iberia.com/gb/latest-update-of-our-flights/#Ultima_hora_Coronavirus

If you are flying to/from Madrid: If you are flying to or from Madrid from March 1st to April 30th, you have the ability to change the dates or request a bonus* for the amount of the ticket. You can request your bonus by completing this form.

*The change of dates can be made to flight until November 30th, if you prefer the voucher, it will be valid until December 31st.

Exceptions: Not valid for flights from April 3rd to 13rd; from April 30th to May 2nd; from June 16th to September 15th; and from October 9th to 12th.
jackr27 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:28 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Iberia Oro, SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
Originally Posted by tobsw
Please check IB status page regularly, information is changing almost hourly. iberia.com/gb/latest-update-of-our-flights/#Ultima_hora_Coronavirus
Thank you so much for this! Yes, it has changed since I last looked.

I will give Iberia a call. My flights are to Valencia, via Madrid. So I hope they don't try and make a problem over that.

Much appreciated.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:42 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Originally Posted by jackr27
Thank you so much for this! Yes, it has changed since I last looked.

I will give Iberia a call. My flights are to Valencia, via Madrid. So I hope they don't try and make a problem over that.

Much appreciated.
If your flight doesn't start or end in MAD it doesn't apply to you (yet, who knows). But check regularly the information... it changes significantly every couple of hours as the situation develops.
jackr27 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:44 am

Am I correct in interpreting this as:

1. Change to dates, but same routing for no charge
or
2. Get a voucher for value of tickets to use for future flights, but no longer restricted to the original routing?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 2:42 pm

I have a premium economy award booking to Portugal via Madrid coming up in 10 days. I'm hoping to rebook for a time in late-June. It doesn't sound like I would be able to do that via the change process given the disclaimer of "Not valid for flights from April 3rd to 13rd; from April 30th to May 2nd; from June 16th to September 15th; and from October 9th to 12th." Is my only option to call and cancel, and eat the $40 fee?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:35 pm

Update: I just spoke with a CSR who told me they can only reschedule my award flight or give me a voucher. He said I could not cancel the flight and get a refund of the points. That doesn't make any sense to me...how can I get a voucher for my award booking? Decided to HUCA. Currently on hold....
flockavelliFT likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.