Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Iberia's 90,000 point catch - 'the negative balance' on transfers.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Iberia's 90,000 point catch - 'the negative balance' on transfers.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mediamonkey

would you mind sharing you how you deleted your account?
I can't remember the exact wording and tabs, but there is a form under "personal details" about deleting account with drop down boxes and I selected IB Plus account in one box and Erasure on the other... It then asked me for all details including my passport number and an uploaded image of my passport which I provided. I got an email straight away saying they have received my request and within 12 hours I got the confirmation that they no longer hold any of my details or information.
mediamonkey likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:21 am

https://www.iberia.com/us/management-of-personal-data/
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by callum9999
Others have successfully done so already.

I guess Iberia could keep a manual record and try and claw something back later, but I think that's likely to be too involved for them to worry about.
I don't understand how this works from a business side. Miles aren't free. IB and BA are in the same group, but financially they don't share profit/losses. When you transfer IB miles to BA, I assume IB has to pay BA something. That's why you're allowed to buy IB miles on groupon and then transfer them to BA. Why would BA let IB keep all the sales from groupon and they get nothing?

This is really not that different from buying something from the IB shopping portal, get the miles, transfer them to BA, return the item, and close down your IB account to avoid clawbacks. This is not the same as exploiting a loophole or an overly generous promo. We all know it's a scam, then hiding the evidence by closing your account, and then hoping that their system isn't smart enough to catch it.

anyway, i'm interested to see what will happen.

Last edited by petey2428; Nov 28, 2018 at 12:17 pm
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:41 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by petey2428
I don't understand how this works from a business side. Miles aren't free. IB and BA are in the same group, but financially they don't share profit/losses. When you transfer IB miles to BA, I assume IB has to pay BA something. That's why you're allowed to buy IB miles on groupon and then transfer them to BA. Why would BA let IB keep all the sales from groupon and they get nothing?

This is really not that different from buying something from the IB shopping portal, get the miles, transfer them to BA, return the item, and close down your IB account to avoid clawbacks. This is not the same as exploiting a loophole or an overly generous promo. We all know it's a scam, then hiding the evidence by closing your account, and then hoping that their system isn't smart enough to catch it.

anyway, i'm interested to see what will happen.
whta rule or term & condition of the promotion has anyone infringed by doing this?

As to the profitability or otherwise of the promotion why is that our concern?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Gomac

The thing that annoys me is that I have spent the 90k avios via BAEC and when I originally bought the tickets there was nothing in the terms that prohibited me to spend the bonus avios this way.
Not sure why so many people are still banging on about this, complaining "I wasn't told I couldn't spend them this way". It's as if people have suddenly decided that IB+ and BAEC are exactly the same thing, despite clearly operating separately. (status qualification isn't combined, different award charts, different earning rates for the exact same partner, etc.)

The general terms of IB+ make clear that Combining Your Avios is not a redemption. The promo T&Cs pointed clearly to general IB+ T&Cs. Perhaps lazy drafting, but legally valid.

IB+ conceded months ago that it hadn't expressly excluded transferring these Avios to BAEC. But the promo T&Cs weren't changed to say that spending Avios via BAEC now qualified. Therefore, the bonus Avios will likely be expired according to the terms of the promo, with consequences we are waiting to discover...
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif
The promo T&Cs pointed clearly to general IB+ T&Cs. Perhaps lazy drafting, but legally valid.
Did T&C also say it would take 4+ months to receive your miles?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rrgg
Did T&C also say it would take 4+ months to receive your miles?
Which is why you could chase your Avios after they were clearly delayed.

Would you prefer other airlines / hotel chains where their promo terms state that you have to wait 6-8 weeks before you can claim, even though you know the bonus is supposed to arrive almost immediately?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:37 am

Not sure why so many people are still banging on about this, complaining "I wasn't told I couldn't spend them this way". It's as if people have suddenly decided that IB+ and BAEC are exactly the same thing, despite clearly operating separately. (status qualification isn't combined, different award charts, different earning rates for the exact same partner, etc.)

The general terms of IB+ make clear that Combining Your Avios is not a redemption. The promo T&Cs pointed clearly to general IB+ T&Cs. Perhaps lazy drafting, but legally valid.

IB+ conceded months ago that it hadn't expressly excluded transferring these Avios to BAEC. But the promo T&Cs weren't changed to say that spending Avios via BAEC now qualified. Therefore, the bonus Avios will likely be expired according to the terms of the promo, with consequences we are waiting to discover...
The terms never said they had to be spent via Iberia (I initially thought they did but someone posted a screenshot ages ago and it doesn't say it).

While a transfer to BA doesn't count as a redemption, transferring and then spending them does. It says they must be redeemed, not redeemed with Iberia.

It's clear that the intention was it should be spent with Iberia, and I'll certainly go along with the suggestion that those of us who transferred are taking advantage of them, but I can't see how their terms can be enforced legally. We'll see what happens in a few days though!
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
If you search in the Iberia T&C under how to use Avios there's no reference to BAEC.

Essentially, even though BAEC, Vueling Club, Aer Club, Iberia Plus, Meridiana Club,... use the same currency: they are not the same program. Each program has their own independent T&C and how they work.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by callum9999
The terms never said they had to be spent via Iberia (I initially thought they did but someone posted a screenshot ages ago and it doesn't say it).

While a transfer to BA doesn't count as a redemption, transferring and then spending them does. It says they must be redeemed, not redeemed with Iberia.

It's clear that the intention was it should be spent with Iberia, and I'll certainly go along with the suggestion that those of us who transferred are taking advantage of them, but I can't see how their terms can be enforced legally. We'll see what happens in a few days though!
The T&Cs of the promo said they had to be redeemed according to the general T&Cs of Iberia Plus.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:13 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Just as a curiosity, I was looking through the T&Cs and curiously enough, Iberia doesn't have the right to remove you from the program for any reason. So they can't just take away avios/status as punishment for things like hidden city ticketing or something along those lines.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Just as a curiosity, I was looking through the T&Cs and curiously enough, Iberia doesn't have the right to remove you from the program for any reason. So they can't just take away avios/status as punishment for things like hidden city ticketing or something along those lines.
Under section I "Customers", this seems broad enough to cover everything:

The Programme reserves the right to recall your card, cancel your account and hold you responsible if you make improper or fraudulent use of the Programme or do not comply with the rules and procedures contained in these General Conditions.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:35 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
You're right. I think I just missed it as the last clause in the longest section.
KARFA likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:22 am

In many respects I wish I had never heard of this promotion as Iberia are by far and away the worst company to deal with. After three months of waiting for a refund (and many telephone calls) I finally had to initiate a CC chargeback which has now been granted. I am now trying to search for reward availability and the site is a complete nightmare - I am now being asked to complete a security caption after every single search - is there any other way of searching for business class availability over a month because when I search on an individual date I can only scroll through 7 days after which I then have to redo the search. I am looking to fly MAD-MIA in business class.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:24 am

Which is why you could chase your Avios after they were clearly delayed.

Would you prefer other airlines / hotel chains where their promo terms state that you have to wait 6-8 weeks before you can claim, even though you know the bonus is supposed to arrive almost immediately?
I don't know what you're getting at. Some people only received their Avios in November.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.